My Mini-14 580

Help Support Ruger Forum:

22mike

Bearcat
I finally got a photo of my Ruger Mini-14 580 series with the heavy barrel. So far I have only busted clay pigeons at 100 yards at a local shooting range. The scope is a Nikon 2 X 7 X 33 from Walmart. No problems at all and I have only used Russian steel case ammo so far. This is the heavy profile barrel model.
Miniscope.jpg

LewR

Bearcat
I like the look - SS with the black and scope - can you provide more details? Mine is a 184- pre-fix serial #

kwg020

Bearcat
The old Mini barrels were a .560 diameter. These are .625 Diameter and thicker yet at the gas block. The receivers are slightly beefier also. A much better shooter. kwg

22mike

Bearcat
The barrel gets thicker just before it enters the gas block. In the old models the barrel was the same diameter from muzzle through the gas block. All new Minis have the same barrel profile. That includes the 5.56 X 45/.223, 7.62 X 39 and 6.8 SPC caliber rifles. Just bored out to caliber desired. The Mini-14 Target does have a thicker barrel. Oh......Those nasty clay pigeons were asking for it. They thought my Mini wasn't accurate enough to hit them at 100 + yards................ 8)

Al James

Hunter
22mike":3nvgw87x said:
The barrel gets thicker just before it enters the gas block. In the old models the barrel was the same diameter from muzzle through the gas block. All new Minis have the same barrel profile. That includes the 5.56 X 45/.223, 7.62 X 39 and 6.8 SPC caliber rifles. Just bored out to caliber desired. The Mini-14 Target does have a thicker barrel. Oh......Those nasty clay pigeons were asking for it. They thought my Mini wasn't accurate enough to hit them at 100 + yards................ 8)

I think Rugers website still shows the mini-30 with the straight barrel profile. It does not taper down from the gas block. I'm curious if this is correct? I was under the impression that the .223 and 6.8 had the tapered barrel and the 30 barrel is straight. Anyone have a new mini-30 with the tapered barrel :?: