My latest build, Kentucky Flintlock

Help Support Ruger Forum:

street

Hunter
Back in the early 70s the state of Virginia opened up a special muzzle loading season for deer. That being the case. I built a .45 cal. Flintlock. See the first picture, it's the top gun. As I have never built a muzzle loader before I was happy with the results. Bare in mind it could have been better but over all it was a pretty good build. Shortly after I bought a stock blank, lock trigger, trigger guard and barrel and a few other parts. I was ready to start another one. Jump ahead 45 or so years I finally got around to building another one :roll: . With the internet I could download a lot of pictures and I got a really good idea of how to build my second gun.

My first gun didn't have any carving except around the lock. It also didn't have any engraving. Thanks to the internet I could see that a lot of the old Flintlocks had very simple carving and simple engraving. Seeing that, that was right down my alley :wink: . I have never done any carving or engraving so keep that in mind when you look at my pictures. Over all I'm happy with the way it turned out, just wish I could have done a little better with the carving and the engraving but for the first time trying both. I'm OK with it.

414457412.jpg

414456256.jpg

414456255.jpg

414456257.jpg

414456258.jpg

414456259.jpg

414456260.jpg

414456261.jpg

414456262.jpg

414456263.jpg

414456264.jpg

414456266.jpg

414456265.jpg

Beruisis

Single-Sixer
I've seen & handled a lot of muzzle loaders & you can be proud of that one!
Nice work. Keep it up!
Beruisis

T.A. WORKMAN

Hunter
Street,
That is a great looking Flintlock Rifle, you can be proud of your workmanship on it.
As the old Mountain Men would have said,,"She Truly Shines"

Thanks for sharing.
Terry

Ethang

Blackhawk
It looks just fine, especially for a 1st/2nd attempt. The bigger question is... how does it shoot?

BDM1

Single-Sixer
That is a super nice rifle, anyone would be proud to own that. Thanks much for the pics!

Poco Oso

Buckeye
Stellar work. No need to slight your carving and engraving. You did a fantastic job on both. What a beautiful piece of wood. Did you buy that as a blank or start from scratch? You are extremely talented. I spent forty years making cabinetry and fine furniture and seriously doubt I could produce anything to top this. Thanks for posting this beautiful piece of work.

street

Hunter
Poco Oso said:
Stellar work. No need to slight your carving and engraving. You did a fantastic job on both. What a beautiful piece of wood. Did you buy that as a blank or start from scratch? You are extremely talented. I spent forty years making cabinetry and fine furniture and seriously doubt I could produce anything to top this. Thanks for posting this beautiful piece of work.
Thanks for all the kind words. The stock was started from scratch and I used a router to route most of the barrel channel. There was still a lot of hand work to finish the channel. The rest of the stock was all hand done with hand tools. All of the brass was rough cast and had to be hand filed, sanded. That took a while to do.

Poco Oso

Buckeye
One last question. How many hours do you have in it? Again, what a magnificent piece of work. And yes, "She truly shines".

street

Hunter
Poco Oso said:
One last question. How many hours do you have in it? Again, what a magnificent piece of work. And yes, "She truly shines".
I started it around Christmas, and finished it the last of July. Keep in mind that some days I didn't work on it at all and some days I would work on it a few minutes and know right away I needed to stop, and some days I would work on it most of the day, especially when things was going good. Because of that I didn't keep an accurate time that I worked on it. I just know that I enjoyed just about all of it and even the mistakes I was able to work around them, MOSTLY :oops:

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hi,

Looks good from here, even great if it's to be a "going in the woods with you" piece.

For some real artwork, you might want to contact Tom Black here on the Forum. He has a fellow who's built a couple of Tom's flintlocks which are really works of art! Tom takes 'em out in the woods--not sure I could! Maybe you can pick up a tip or two for your next build. Or at least look at some really pretty pictures!

Rick C