My Honda Mini-Trail 70 from Christmas.1970. Photos added.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Tallbald

Buckeye
I still have photos somewhere taken Christmas Eve of 1970 when I received this wonder of wonders as a 12 year old boy. Over the last 48 years it has served me well at different later times as a father. Stored in the late 70's in our concrete floor, steel sided tobacco barn the wiring got eaten before I had any idea that was happening. Rigged up wiring and got her running again in time for my children to use it in the '90's, but since, it's sat at our home unused but admired. At one time Miss Penny had it on display under a light....on our fireplace hearth!.
Anyway, Daddy had ulterior motives back in 1970 when he agreed with my mom to get it for me. Daddy licensed it in Louisville KY and rode my Mini-Trail for several years around Jefferson County from 1971 to 1973. Mid-life crisis maybe? We moved to a family farm, my Mini-Trail became an unlicensed "farm vehicle", and never got relicensed again. Just packed along with me in life....
Now here I am 60 years old, and my adult children have little interest in my Honda (much like my Matchbox car collection currently selling piecemeal on Ebay--I've funded a PSA kit build from those). Before I can sell MY Honda Mini-Trail, the local clerk's office tells me I must 1) get Daddy's death certificate and will showing he left all his possessions to Mama. He died in 1978. 2) Get Mom's death certificate and her will, showing she left everything equally to my sister and me when she died in 2008. 3) Get a copy of my SISTER'S death certificate and will, and a statement from my sister's son, her only heir (sister died last year), stating he does not make any claim to my Honda Mini-Trail. THEN I can apply for a lost title to MY bike and sell it PROVIDED any and all property taxes are paid.
In anger at the System, I told Miss Penny this is some "f***ed up s***" and that it would be easier to piece the thing out online as original parts. Pardon my language friends but even the quiet man gets riled at the absolute stupidity of some things. Can't ride it, can't sell it, and can't do anything I know of except roll it around the garage to get to whatever is behind it now and again.
No longer runs but it could be restored with readily available repro parts I guess.
What do KY residents do when they find an abandoned vintage car in a farm field they want to restore as their own? My Mini-Trail is basically abandoned , just in our garage.
Don.

graygun

Hunter
As you mentioned,you can part it out on ebay...you're already a seller there. I have some outboard motors I should part out and a lot of model RR stuff.

The system does it's best to make sure you never really own anything.

Salmoneye

Single-Sixer
I still have the two Trail CT90's that Dad bought for he and I in 1970...

Mine has less than 5K miles, and Dad's has less than 400 miles...

If I get into that shed in the near future, I will take some pics...

BTW

Anything in Vermont older than 15 years needs no title...

427mach1

Blackhawk
Are you certain that a title is required for a bike that old? Did you tell them it was a 1970 model? In Georgia, if it is 1985 or older, only a bill of sale is required:

Private Motorcycle Purchases
You'll need to register a privately-purchased vehicle within 7 days of buying it. Once the seller has signed the title over to you, gather the following:

The completed and signed title.
oIf the motorcycle is model year 1985 or older, it does not require a title; submit a Bill of Sale instead.
A completed:
Motor Vehicle Title/Tag Application (Form MV-1).
Affidavit of Fact for a Motorcycle or Motor Scooter (Form T-228)—the seller should have this notarized for you.
Certificate of Inspection by a Duly Constituted Georgia Law Enforcement Officer (Form T-22B) from the seller.
If the seller did NOT have the motorcycle inspected before signing the title over to you, you'll need to do this yourself at your local law enforcement agency.
ONLY required if the vehicle is coming from a state that DOES NOT require a title.
Proof of Georgia motorcycle insurance.
Your Georgia driver's license or ID.
Payment for the $20 registration fee plus any other applicable taxes and fees.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hi,

A few years ago, I donated a car to my neighbor, an auto shop teacher, to use however he could. His first question was "Do you have the paperwork on it?"

Yes, I did, and he breathed a huge sigh of relief. We have what's called a PNO out here--Planned Non-Operation--which can be filed with DMV prior to taking a vehicle out of service. What it does is to suspend collection of any normal registration fees due while it's in non-operable status. I had all that in order.

He then explained that people donate him cars frequently that have been out in the back 40, buried in dirt and mud up to the door handles for years, and they were never taken "off the rolls" with a PNO. He said there's a way of reestablishing title on these otherwise "ghost" vehicles, but all the fees for those years must be paid up by the new owner. The fees alone can add up to way more than the car is worth, even restored to running condition. Many times he ends up calling the junk yard guys, who have their own way of getting past the fees, to just take the car. They use a "salvage title" process the way I understand it.

There's another process where a person who's had a vehicle abandoned on his property can obtain a title after a certain length of time, and I'm not sure if the new owner has to catch up on the fees or not. Perhaps KY has something like that which would bypass the inheritance stuff. What you've described, Don, sounds like something only the DMV, wherever they are or whatever you call them, could dream up to make your life miserable!

Best of luck!

Rick C

kmoore

Buckeye
Story brings back good memories. I got a red one around 1973 when I was maybe 12.
We took it hunting/camping to ride in the hills a few times just out for the day in the woods. We put it on a bumper mount to carry it. I out grew it and continued buying bigger motorcycles both on road and off type.
Around 1990 a co worker sold me his that was orange. I got it for 2 sons to learn to ride. Fixed it up and either could care less about it. They wanted ATVs with 4 wheels. Sold that one at a nice net gain.

I had a gold colored Trail 70 as a 15 year old, in around 1972-3. I had a lot of fun on that little bike. Sure wish I still had it, even though I’m probably too hefty to ride it now.

rugnelli

Buckeye
We got a Mini-Trail 50 and an XR 75 in 1973 prior to moving out to the farm. I was 5 and spent a lot time on them both. Actually, we all did.

Thanks for reminding me...

OVERLOADDED

Single-Sixer
Bought my trail 90 to hunt in the canyons of Nebraska. 40 miles from town lots of prairie to cover for mule deer during bow season! Easy to hide your bike and hunt on foot for miles! Overloadded

RSIno1

Hunter
Always wanted one of these but they have become pricey collectors items. Does your state have a lost title form? I mean you did lose it after your dad signed it over to you.

Tallbald

Buckeye
RSIno1 said:
Always wanted one of these but they have become pricey collectors items. Does your state have a lost title form? I mean you did lose it after your dad signed it over to you.
Thank you all so much for the suggestions friends. And sharing the memories!
RSIno1 I honestly don't know if there's a "lost title" mechanism in place here. The court clerk sure never mentioned anything like that. Yeah.....yeah.....that little piece of paper title thing blew out a window during a storm one year. I'll call and flat out ask.
Hmm. A titled Mini-Trail would have more value than a junked one. Like my Matchbox cars I'm selling one at a time on Ebay to collectors, I'd love seeing my Honda go to a person who could restore and enjoy it.
Don.

radicalrod

Hunter
Why are you worried about the title most for sale don't have one either....

I got one for Christmas Dec 1970 and it was an orange 1971 CT70H the 4 speed hand clutch model made only in 1970 and 71....me and my younger brother rode the wheels of that thing...almost indestructible too....

I do have one stuffed in the shop that my son got running for me several years ago...I can't even begin to tell you how that sound and smell took me back to my childhood....I need to dig it out again and teach my grandsons how to ride it some day....it might be a while as they are only 2...but I had their Dad riding at 3 so not too long...

The world owes MR HONDA a BIG THANK YOU for the countless hours of fun those small HONDAS brought to our generation....certainly a simpler time....RR

majorKAP

Single-Sixer
If you really want to sell it, I'm interested.

As a kid in 1970's my brother and I assembled hundreds of them for $3.00 a crate (two per crate) at my Dad's Honda shop in Lexington. They were not considered a street-legal licensable vehicle, really. I think your dad likely went through hoops to get his plated. I don't recall them having titles at all...only a statement of origin/bill of sale.

I collect, restore and race old bikes. I have no need for a title. PM if you like.

Tallbald

Buckeye
Called the DVM again and asked about "lost title" possibilities. Got told there was nothing that could be done. Said I'd have to get Dad's death certificate in '78, proof Mom was his heir, then HER death certificate from '08and proof that the bike was left to me, by way of proving I was her executor! On top of that, I'd have to pay back taxes 6-7 years on the bike. I asked "what do folks do when they find an abandoned antique car in a farm field they want to restore?" The woman, who sounded half annoyed said "They can't do anything with the car". No d*** help at all.
Don

bogus bill

Hunter
In the 1950`s-1960`s, my uncle ran a junkyard in wisconsin. Sometimes he got some nice restorable classics in and that's how it was back then too. The law is a ass!

You can sign an affidavit (available at courthouse) that the title had been transferred to you and you lost it, and then apply for a duplicate title.

You can sell it with out a title since it is highly unlikely that anyone will license/insure it for highway use (I've yet to see one on the road anywhere in the last 30 years).

If you just have to have a title and don't want to sign a lost title affidavit- simply document it wasn't in good condition, and you restored it to running condition. Get it inspected by the sheriff department, and get a salvage title.

For those who posted- yes, in Kentucky we have to have a title, age notwithstanding. The above suggestions are how to buy a vehicle in a field with no title and get a title for it.

Tallbald

Buckeye
kentuckyyeti thank you so much. I was hoping a fellow Kentuckian might have a suggestion I could pursue. I do seem to remember that when Dad died back in 1978, Mom came across the title used to license the Honda and gave it to me along with ownership again of the Honda in the confusion and aftermath of Daddy's death. 40 years later, more than a few things have been lost to the ravages of time. I shall begin the process soon hopefully. It's difficult to explain to some from other states how complex and inflexible our laws here can be on some things. I told Miss Penny I have a hard time believing that every 1929 hot rodded car here in KY has the original title included. But the clerk made it sound like that's what's required....Don.

bogus bill

Hunter
Go to a different office and you probably will get a different answer to each one you visit. I/we have seen it all my life on different jobs I worked. I have seen my supervisors break their own written rules. Common sense seems to be in short supply. On my menial career I did things my way and never bugged my betters for advice. They left me alone. It seemed the nit pickers with no mind of their own that was calling the captain all the time were in constant hot water.

Latest posts