My Heads Spinning! Mark III Hunter or MKIII 22/45 Target ??

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Shepherd Jim

Bearcat
Hi all!

I'm just getting back into shooting after an almost 20 year hiatus. I've been visiting the local range (Lincoln County Rifle Club, Damariscotta, ME) and they run mid-winter indoor 22 Pistol Postal Matches that look like a lot of fun -- friendly group of shooters, too! I need a gun to start practicing with so I'll be in a groove come the January competition

Anyway, I pretty quickly decided that a Ruger was the obvious choice. And then the pain began:

• I like the Mark III's xtra weight and longer barrel options - Target, Competition, Hunter
    ...but the 22/45 is set up to "match" my Sig 1911 45
    ...BUT the MKIII 22/45 has a POLYMER frame and weighs 10oz less
    ...would a pre-owned MKII 22/45 have a steel frame?

First and foremost! I'm upset with Ruger for offering so many attractive options! ;-(

I'll appreciate all thoughts and suggestions from all you who have already made this decision!

Jim

captainkirk

Blackhawk
All of the 22/45s have polymer frames. If you can try a few it would make it easier to see what balances best for you.

captainkirk

Boomer8484

Bearcat
I have never shot a 22/45 (MK II or III), so I can't really speak for them besides a little gunshop handeling. They are nice, do feel comfy and the polymer frame does cut the weight.

I have a MK III 5.5" Target model and it is a very nice shooter. Yes the grip angle is different but its not a problem for me. The added weight does help absorb a little more recoil.

GasGuzzler

Hunter
If you get the MKIII 22/45, spend $50 more and get the RP model with replaceable (and wider) WOOD grip panels. If you wanna use a MK-anything in competition, plan on trigger mods (like with most Rugers).

Shepherd Jim

Bearcat
Okay! Time for an update! :p

I went up and visited a 2nd time with the "indoor-pistol-postal-match" shooters a few nights ago. I asked a lot of questions, took notes and even (ever notice how nice and friendly gun people are?!) had the chance to handle and hoist a few different guns.

My choice of my first 22 cal pistol being a Ruger was reinforced. But, I was surprised to discover that I would not require a longer than 5.5" barrel. I was so sure that I would need one of those long fluted or slab-sided barrels to have enough stabilizing muzzle weight to hold sight picture during rapid fire. When I held a SS Mark III Target I felt that its 5.5" Bull barrel was quite sufficient. Maybe if I were going to be using the gun's iron sights I might be after a longer sight radius, but I'll be mounting a red dot almost immediately.

So! Thursday night I clicked on the "BUY" button at Buds Gun Shop and Tuesday afternoon my Mark III Blued Target will arrive at one of my local FFLs, Ballstown Firearms.