My GP100

Help Support Ruger Forum:

My GP100 is 8 years old. I bought it brand new, back in Illinois. Gat Guns there in Dundee. Not an advertisement, but it was a pretty nice gun store. In fact, one of the nicer gun stores I've seen around the country. I guess it surprises me because all the bad rap you hear about Illinois and the gun laws...Anyway. This is my GP100. I wanted to get it out and take some pictures.

The recent thread about the misaligned crane and how it was canted when closed or something to that effect. Mine as you can see is just about perfect.

P1250270.JPG

I bought is gun with the intention of having it drilled and tapped for a scope. I did this almost immediately after buying it...I'm not sorry I did at all, it's really fun to shoot. I don't take it to the range often, but it has probably been fired around a thousand maybe fifteen hundred times. Not so much really for 8 years.
P1250286.JPG

I'm sitting here trying to remember what I paid for it and can't. My point being there are so many threads about if a gun is worth "x" amount. In 5 or 10 years what will it matter if it cost an extra 50 or 75 bucks. 75 dollars won't even get you and a date dinner and a movie anymore.

planetcat

Single-Sixer
Nice piece. Mine's over ten years old now and still functions flawlessly. I like the grip panels, too. Also, it seems like the latest news on Illinois gun violence says that it's all Indiana's fault. :-\ Go figure.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
A bit of advice for those with current GP-100's who want to mount a scope. Jack Weigand sells a no-drill/no tap Picatinni-type scope base that uses the front sight dovetail and rear sight base as mounting points. Saves a trip to the gunsmith and the factory sights can be reinstalled with no real effort when you wish.

Thanks...oh forgot to say, the grip panels are American Holly from this forum....41 Magnum, from way back when...

This is a weigand mount as well. I think they had the no drill mount back then. I knew I wouldn't be removing the scope so just opted for the more permanent method. So I had the gunsmith do a trigger job as well with lighter springs. No light strikes, and the trigger is pretty nice, especially in single action. Long take up though. If I don't let the trigger reset fully it will lock up...but that is me, not the gun

Rei40c

Blackhawk
I'm in the market for a GP100 myself, just haven't been able to steal the time to go pick it up yet. One things for sure the grips look %100 better than the Hoage rubber ones with the finger groves. I wish Ruger would offer the old style grips out of the box for those who like them.

I've never fired a handgun with a scope on it. It seems to me it would be very hard to keep a good site picture since handguns wobble a lot more then a shouldered rifle. Is it difficult to keep still enough to get a good look through the scope?

contender

Ruger Guru
Nice one Kevin!

Rei40c,,, Using a scope on a handgun is a bit different than a rifle. It can show more "wobble" but it's not as hard as you might suspect. It just makes you focus more on good shooting techniques.

Thanks Contender. Yeah, you are right too about shooting a handgun with a scope. Plus you have the added weight which does sort of work to your advantage as far as movement. The weight, in a way, acts like a stabilizer.

Mine are a 1988 6" half-lug blued .357 and a 1992 4 " half-lug stainless .38 spl. w/fixed sights, apparently an over-run from a LEA order. Love 'em both. .357 has original grips with a black palm insert; .38 has Altamont checkered rosewood insert grips.

Kevin said:
My GP100 is 8 years old. I bought it brand new, back in Illinois. Gat Guns there in Dundee. Not an advertisement, but it was a pretty nice gun store. In fact, one of the nicer gun stores I've seen around the country. I guess it surprises me because all the bad rap you hear about Illinois and the gun laws...Anyway. This is my GP100. I wanted to get it out and take some pictures.

The recent thread about the misaligned crane and how it was canted when closed or something to that effect. Mine as you can see is just about perfect.

P1250270.JPG

I bought is gun with the intention of having it drilled and tapped for a scope. I did this almost immediately after buying it...I'm not sorry I did at all, it's really fun to shoot. I don't take it to the range often, but it has probably been fired around a thousand maybe fifteen hundred times. Not so much really for 8 years.
P1250286.JPG

NICE GP Kevin! I really enjoy mine as well.

IMAG0241_zps2vubh5c4.jpg

IMAG0240_zpsvse94rle.jpg

No crane issues with mine either.

VERY accurate gun...

I bet yours is too!

Rei40c

Blackhawk
DA_, Have a quick question about the Match Champion version. I'm assuming you've fired both that and the standard GP's. How much better is the double action pull out of the box? It's about 100 dollars more than the standard GP at my local gun store. I've tried the standard GP100 double action which was "just okay" in my opinion. Can you tell a difference?

I'd be interested in that question also DA_, Those Match Champions are pretty nice. Another nice model is the Wiley Clapp, they have the "regular" grips, not Hogue or MC grips.

Oh and yes, mine is pretty accurate, DA_. Thanks.

The DA pull on the MC isn't bad. This particular GP100 example is smoother, lighter, and less gritty than the old 6 inch stainless I had.

The action feels similar to my 686.