My first pistol P89

Help Support Ruger Forum:

gatorhugger

Blackhawk
That I bought 20 years ago. :)

I was thinking about that old DC model sitting in my drawer. As I was at Fed ex today shipping two sigmas back for light primer strikes.

Has anyone ever had a bad experience with the p89?
I have never heard one problem with this model, and I personally have shot mine thousands of rounds with nary a burp.
Then I moved on to sexier models. A glock 17, a Walther( currently in the shop), a 3rd generation smith.

In all that time the P89 has never let me down.
If you read up on Glocks, Smiths, just about ANY gun made there is always somebody who had a problem with their guns.
I can't remember one complaint against the Ruger besides it's too heavy.

Big deal. It's heavy. It works everytime.
The Rugers always do it. Which is more than could be said for anything else out there.
It would get my vote for most dependable gun ever made based on the total lack of complaints.
I am gonna dust it off and stick it in the car.
And shop for another.

mpbrown18

Bearcat
I love my P89 also, it's my first "real" handgun and I've also never had it jam once. I got it in 06 as a birthday gift to myself. I just order a P95 to compliment it. Yeah it is pretty heavy but I refuse to get rid of it.

Not really a bad experience per say. But i think the P89 could use better fit-and-finish. Personally speeking though, and still not considering this a bad experience, but my frame stripped on a screw once. I got it fixed since then.

I Already SOld my Sigma VE40...

btrumanj

Single-Sixer
Don't have a P89 but I got it's daddy, the P85. Never a failure of any kind in all the rds that have been through it both factory and lead reloads. I will disagree that it's heavy compared to other similar size pistols. What it is is chunky. A bit too much for some but it can be concealed. BTW this was my first Ruger. :)

Picture443-1.jpg

GhosT

Blackhawk
btrumanj 's post ROCKS!...lol

And hope he gets no insults to his gun here...lol.
gatorhugger, you too....lol

THE P85 and the P89.
Both Ruger First effort guns.

Don 't expect an insult on either here.
Been buying Ruger handguns since the late 70's.......no semi-autos then...lol
{ other than the rimfire model that kicked RUGER OFF}

btrumanj...yer P85.....
Some P85's did have problems...BUT YERS DOESN'T....!!!!!!
No way saying a design flaw.....as most P85's worked well!
Just saying...congrats...yers kick ass for you.

gatorhugger.....
You asked...
"Has anyone ever had a bad experience with the p89? "
Safe bet many has.
Same as Many gun out there.

AS I have followed RUGERS forever...Not thrilled but for a decade at least called a "RUGER WHORE"...lol

Here is both what seen and my opinion....

THE P89!
It has a huge following,cause RELIABILITY is a given...
And damn near all combat accurrate........

RARE do any have feed problems........
They are feed me machines.

I could go into ammo choices, but that turns into ......
Pick the Hollowpoint load , ya researched and trust!

Then Find a GENERIC load that hits close to point of aim...:)
FOR PRACTICE!

Anyone that insults
the Original Ruger 9mm's for self defense...
Are attacking the round...not the gun.

Neither the P85 or the P89 is easily concealed...better for house guns....
But....
My P91(.40sw) is about the same size.;..

My 6'2"...200 pounds can conceal it easily...lol

No way a suggesstion, just ya both own 2 cool guns......Don't lose them

reakin

Single-Sixer
My P89 will eat anything I run through it. I swear if I could get a coke can into the magazine, my P89 would feed it just fine!

reakin

gatorhugger

Blackhawk
Like most of us I visit different sites, reading up on gun issues.
Some supposedly infallible "perfect" guns have issues, as to be
expected. Nothings perfect.
But I swear I have never read one real issue with the p89.
You would think ONE gun owner would post about his POS Ruger.
Never heard of it.

duster536

Bearcat
I have used a P89 since I started in LE in 2001. Never one FTF or any other problem. I've stood on many a firing line and shot without a flaw while glocks, various 1911's and other makes have had issues. "Say what you will about the older P-series. Bricks with hammers!! Damn Skippy!

Mike J

Hunter
I hear ya Gator, I have been on again off again aggravated with a Kel Tec. The problems have actually been of my own making but I have been spoiled by the ruggedness of my P-944. It isn't the easiest thing to carry but it always goes bang. I trust it.
My favorite thing about Ruger customer service is I've never had to use it.

rick357

Bearcat
want to add my +1 for the 89. have had mine since 03 and it eats everything i put in. while others complain about how their sigs or smiths or fn,s are jammin up on different ammo
i just keep throwin lead down range.......... Rick

P94/GP100

Single-Sixer
I've posted on mine before-I got one of the last P89s (August 2007 manufacture) before Ruger abruptly (and prematurely, in my opinion) terminated them. Mine has all the durability and reliability associated with "Ruger;" and it's an absolute tack-driver to boot. The P89 is an absolute sleeper-a true general purpose combat/self defense pistol. Mine is used for carry, nightstand protection duty, and IDPA.

Best, Jon

Specs

Single-Sixer
My P89 is THE go to piece in my house. It rests under my bed and it is in my truck wherever I go. In many ways it is my best,faithful, and loyal companion, just like Tonto, LOL. If I could only carry it in a pocket holster it would be the only pistol I would own.

bub

Single-Sixer
I'll have to add a big +whatever to the great experiences with the P89.

I bought my KP89DC in '92 or so. I was getting into reloading and heard about how hard it was to safely load 9mm due to bullet setback, small case capacity, pressure spikes and such. I was single at the time and had money, so I bought the P89 based on how strong and durable it was from all the torture tests the gun rags reported on when it came out. I figured that I would try my reloads in it instead of my Sig P226; if I blew up a gun, I wanted it to be the P89 and not the 226.

When I got the P89 and compared it to the 226, I was shocked. I'll admit now that, looking back, I think I got a lemon 226. The P89 had a better trigger (DA on the 226 SUCKED BIG TIME), MUCH better reliability (I was lucky to get through 100 rounds in the 226 without some sort of malf), was more accurate, better finish (slide of the 226 rusted if you even looked at it funny, let alone rain and condensation since it was my first LE duty gun) and was half the price of the 226. Not to mention, Sig's customer service SUCKED BIG TIME (I think they learned from HK- I called about problems with the 226 and was literally told I screwed it up and they wouldn't do anything for me) and Ruger's doesn't. The 226 was sold off and the P89 is my bedside gun.

I have read accounts from the high-dollar training places that they have all sorts of problems with Ruger autos when students carry them in their intensive, high-round-count classes. However, things I have read weren't specific in what kinds of problems, only that they have problems.

Currently, the P89 is the only hi-cap 9mm that I own. I love it, even though it is kinda chunky and "clunky looking". However, I like the way they look, the same way that I like how Glocks look. They just plain work, work well and keep on working. I give my P89 the highest praise I can give a gun- I have an LE duty holster for it and, if something ever happens to my Glock 21 (my current duty gun), the P89 will be carried until I can get the G21 fixed. I can't think of higher praise than that for the P89, that I would willingly carry it on duty where not just my life would depend on it.

Bub

Russ7777

Bearcat
I bought my first semi-auto a few months back; a p89. I have put close to 400 rds through it, and the only time I had a failure to fire was at the range when I forgot to put the magazine in it :oops:

wildturk

Single-Sixer
gatorhugger":o1uzouqq said:
Like most of us I visit different sites, reading up on gun issues.
Some supposedly infallible "perfect" guns have issues, as to be
expected. Nothings perfect.
But I swear I have never read one real issue with the p89.
You would think ONE gun owner would post about his POS Ruger.
Never heard of it.

How true, I just read that even the high and mighty "Colt" is recalling several pistols...... :p :oops:

cbm1948

Bearcat
My 1st semi auto pistol was a P85 sadly it was stolen from my son in Atlanta a couple of years ago. I have just replaced it with a P89 SS, I could not find a P85 for sale, it shoots where I point it and shoots everything I feed it. Big, Heavy, some say ugly, but it works goes bang every time. I own many other more elegant pistols semi and wheel but the Ruger goes bang every time. Isn't that what you want from a pistol?

Clint

tkarter

Single-Sixer
There is not a more trust worthy 9mm pistol built than what the P89 is.

In fact any P series Ruger is rock solid.

imho

tk

revhigh

Hawkeye
bub":155iuk13 said:
I like how Glocks look.

Wow !!! I respect Glocks a whole lot, but even I couldn't make the above statement !! LOL :D

REV