My first "hand cannon."

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Rugerlvr

Bearcat
There have been numerous problems with Bears in the woods around here lately, and I spend a lot of time in the woods. So I went looking for something bigger than my .357 SP101. Can anyone tell me what kind of wood the grip is made from?

Here it is, sorry about the crummy flash photos:
redhawk1.jpg

redhawk2.jpg

I ordered a Simply Rugged Sourdough, and Chesty Puller conversion system.

I guess I should say it's .44 Magnum, not .45LC

What should I know about this beast?

Sonnytoo

Blackhawk
Rugerlvr":38i6qnoe said:
What should I know about this beast?

I have one. It's a very nice gun. It's heavy, so the recoil is not at all a problem. I shoot it quite well even though the trigger pull could use some lightening. You will like it a lot.
Sonnytoo

Rugerlvr

Bearcat
Thanks J Miller, I got the original hardcase, lock, fired cartridge (unsealed) manual, the three grips, and a ruger softcase with it. It's a 2001 vintage gun.

contender

Ruger Guru
Well, those beasts are expensive to feed, so ya better reload. They are also lovingly addictive. You'll want another one to keep that one comfortable.
They are also fun to play with.

firescout

Bearcat
I found that some internal mechanism polishing and a new reduced-power Wolff mainspring made the trigger pull feel better on my s.s. Redhawk.

And the handloading tip is good, too. Most .44 Mag/Spl factory loads are $$$.

With good .44 Mag loads, I feel my RH can be an excellent defensive sidearm against any land mammal in the lower 48...

...and it goes well with my Marlin 1894 .44 Mag levergun.

BearStopper

Blackhawk
I have one and think they are the perfect all around woods gun in the 5.5" barrel. Perfect for plinking with lighter loads, great hunting revolver, practical for last resort defense from a unruly predator, not to mention that anything that is more powerful than a full load 44 magnum in a 5.5" or shorter gun goes into the category of "UNGODLY" for me. I consider my stainless version to be a utility gun, meaning that since it is a fairly modern, durable, revolver with no "collector" value, that I won't be afraid to attempt to wear it out, something I can't say for my OM Super Blackhawk.

Rugerlvr

Bearcat
WESHOOT2, are you saying I should change the above Hogue stocks? I really like the feel of it.

I was thinking about a hi-viz or other front blade...

contender

Ruger Guru
I don't think he meant that you need to change your stocks,,,, I think he replaced HIS factory stocks with another type.
As for the front sights,,, Hi-Viz are excellent sights!

Rugerlvr

Bearcat
contender":2wpsn7cn said:
Well, those beasts are expensive to feed, so ya better reload.

After reading some reports about the amount of lead that reloading can put into your home environment, and the damage that it can do to young children, I've decided I'm not going to get into reloading until my 4 and 2 year olds are much much older.

So, yeah, I bought 3 boxes of ammo for an average of $32ea last weekend.

two bit okie

Single-Sixer
I have been reloading and casting for over 40 yrs. My son, now 29 was concerned so I had the lead test at my last physical. Not even appears on the radar screen.

I have my loading casting down to 4 dollers a box of 50. 250 hard cast 21 grs 2400. and outcher load in my 4 5/8.

Normal loads of 200 gr, 6 gr unique, 3.50$ per 50.

just do your casting outside in a well ventilated area.

Rclark

Hunter
...just do your casting outside in a well ventilated area.
And you don't even have to cast ... It is still cheaper to reload without casting than buying factory (I don't cast). We live in a straaaange world, where paranoia is so rampant now-a-days.... Almost as bad as the ol' witch hunts back when. Gets people scared of there own shadows :( ...

Nice Revolver. You'll enjoy it!

Rugerlvr

Bearcat
Apparently it's mainly the tumbler that will put lead into the air. If I had a shed I could reload in, I might get into it, but I don't, and I don't wanna buy a shed just to reload. ;) There's a good thread about the lead dangers from reloading (specifically as it relates to young children) over at thehighroad.

Thanks for the compliments on the gun folks!

captainkirk

Blackhawk
Rugerlvr":fhsvzr9x said:
contender":fhsvzr9x said:
Well, those beasts are expensive to feed, so ya better reload.

After reading some reports about the amount of lead that reloading can put into your home environment, and the damage that it can do to young children, I've decided I'm not going to get into reloading until my 4 and 2 year olds are much much older.

So, yeah, I bought 3 boxes of ammo for an average of $32ea last weekend.

I understand your concerns, but would be interested to see your reports. I too, have been reloading and casting for 20+ years and I have my blood lead checked annually - never a problem. If you eat or drink (or smoke) while casting or after reloading without washing your hands, then you might have a problem. Just reloading would leave practically immeasureable amounts of lead in the immediate area of your work. I would bet you have more lead residue on your hands/clothes from shooting the gun then you would realistically have from reloading.

captainkirk

Edited to add (after seeing your post) Tumbling cases is not necessary. It is nice - a luxury if you will, but not needed, especially for revolver loads. I still don't own a tumbler...

Rugerlvr

Bearcat
captainkirk":3pmgxuo2 said:
Edited to add (after seeing your post) Tumbling cases is not necessary. It is nice - a luxury if you will, but not needed, especially for revolver loads. I still don't own a tumbler...

How do you clean the cases then?