My first big-bore revolver

Help Support Ruger Forum:

CZReverend

Bearcat
I am very excited. I have been shopping for my latest single action lately and have been set on a Montado in .357. I have held one exactly one time and loved it. Today I went window shopping to our local Sportsman's Warehouse to see what they had to offer. Lately, their selection of Ruger's has been excellent. Upon arriving, I was not disappointed in the selection of fine single actions. The first gun I wanted to play with was a stainless Vaquero in .45LC. As soon as I picked it up I knew it was a piece of junk. Not the whole model line, I really like the Vaquero. But this specimen seemed like it was a new special edition Bryco/Jennings cowboy gun. Everything seemed to rattle. The hammer had more slop and wiggle in it than I thought safe. The salesman, a good guy who I have bought from many times said he thought it was one of the worst examples he had ever seen from Ruger. Several Vaqueros later and I wasn't impressed. It was terrible. The fit of these Rugers looked like I did it in my garage, and I am nothing even close to a gunsmith.

Finally I held a Super Blackhawk in .44 magnum. I have shot this round several times and found it to be a blast (literally!) but never considered owning one. The feel of this Blackhawk was the best I have ever experience on a stock Ruger single action in person. Pulling the hammer back feels like hot butter, I kid you not. The price was fairly decent, but a Springfield EMP in .40 came home with me instead. All day I sat and thought about that .44, so I called them up and told them to hold it for me, I was on my way back. The wife was up for the 35min drive, so we took the kids out and I walked out with my first "big boy" revolver. I am very happy with it, and they had a decent sale on Hornady .44Mag. I picked up about 200 rounds of ammo as well.

guns001.jpg

guns005.jpg

Now, my only question. I'd really like to have a free spin cylinder in this, one that spins both ways. I have no reason for it, I'd just really like the gun set up that way. How does one go about making such a modification?

PS. There is something about that cylinder that makes me love this gun. I love the lack of flutes.

bigboredad

Blackhawk
that is a great looking gun and that is a excellent of grips they are some of the nicest I've seen from ruger. I to like that cylinder and would really like to have the free spin pawl added to my big boys. Learn to reload if you don't already and the fun factor will really go up on what is already a very fun gun

BearStopper

Blackhawk
Looks great. Let us know how it shoots and how you find the muzzle blast with that one. I don't recall shooting a .44 mag with that short a barrel and am curious.

CZReverend

Bearcat
BearStopper":2q7efykv said:
Looks great. Let us know how it shoots and how you find the muzzle blast with that one. I don't recall shooting a .44 mag with that short a barrel and am curious.

Thanks! I will post a range report once the weather clears. I have a sickness for this barrel length on my Rugers. I bet its a hoss!

CZReverend

Bearcat
Stoots":459id2po said:
That's my favorite SBH setup, except I like blue! I put some Buffalo Bore 305 grainers through mine (bear medicine load). She dances a bit!

As for the pawl...

http://marauder.homestead.com/files/FreeSpin.html

Thanks!

You mention you like the blued. Maybe I am crazy, but I think in my research I read that the old model .44's were a polished blue. Anybody have one if it's true? I bet they are beautiful!

Also, does anyone make replacement front sights for these? I've never liked the big black plastic!

RUFFBIRD

Blackhawk
CZR,...
Very nice SBH! It has beautiful wood on it too. I also have one in that barrel length & it has a special place in the safe....
For some info on how to make your gun's cylinder free-spin by altering the pawl in the gun, check out this old thread for info.
http://rugerforum.org/phpBB/viewtopic.p ... 76ef333775
You can also purchace an aftermarket part if you wanted to...
Hope this helps & thanks for showing us your new ruger.... 8)

BearStopper

Blackhawk
CZReverend":1zi9873d said:
Stoots":1zi9873d said:
That's my favorite SBH setup, except I like blue! I put some Buffalo Bore 305 grainers through mine (bear medicine load). She dances a bit!

As for the pawl...

http://marauder.homestead.com/files/FreeSpin.html

Thanks!

You mention you like the blued. Maybe I am crazy, but I think in my research I read that the old model .44's were a polished blue. Anybody have one if it's true? I bet they are beautiful!
I have one of those and they have the finish of a Colt Python and I love it. The Old Models came only in 7 1/2" though so no short barreled version except in the New Model.

Also, does anyone make replacement front sights for these? I've never liked the big black plastic!

two bit okie

Single-Sixer
CZm if you dont relaod, can I have your empties?

Gotta get in for the empties early, cuz you gonna be shootin that puppy a lot. ( have 4 vaqueros, 2 with the 4 5/8 barrels.)

Longshoreman

Bearcat
I too just purchased my first big bore revolver just a few weeks ago. I found a 50th ann. .44 for $420, a deal I couldn't pass on. As you guys told me I would, I found the hard rubber grips unsatisfactory. I have a set of Pachmayrs on order, and I'll post pics of her when I get them on.

With the stock grips my little finger is half off the end. With gloves on it gets worse, and my hands are not that big. When I put full house ammo through her, I would like the extra control I get when using my entire hand.

CZReverend

Bearcat
two bit okie":3bzjvy1x said:
CZm if you dont relaod, can I have your empties?

Gotta get in for the empties early, cuz you gonna be shootin that puppy a lot. ( have 4 vaqueros, 2 with the 4 5/8 barrels.)

Send me a PM with your name/addy and we can work something out. I'd be glad to send my brass your way.

I snapped another photo of it.

guns004-1.jpg

azrugershooter

Single-Sixer
Thats a great looking gun CZReverend. Much more versitle than the vaquero (at least the newest smaller frame .357 & .45 colt models). I do have a rather silly question. Is the warning label on the underside of the barrel? It looks great without all that nonsense on the side of the barrel. I had to read the post further to make sure it wasn't a custom barrel. I haven't seen a stainless BH or SBH yet with the label move to the bottom the reason I ask.
End rambling! :D

maxpress

Buckeye
I have the twin to that. really cant tell much difference in muzzle blast and no difference in recoil from my 5.5 vaqueros and full power loads. course i only like to shoot about 100 240gr at 1400fps before im done for the day. 90% of the time i load down to 1000fps and shoot all day.

maxpress

Buckeye
think you will really like that gun. mine goes woodcutting and camping and i can hit with it as if it had a much longer barrel. nice find for a first big daddy.

azrugershooter

Single-Sixer
The steel ejr and the steel grip frame will help a lot in the felt recoil. I have blued 4 5/8 45 blackhawk and a blued version of your gun and the recoil difference is night and day between the 2 firing 325gr bullets at similar vel. in both of them.

tek4260

Buckeye
Maxpress,

What load do you use to get a 240gr to run 1400 out of a 4 5/8? I got a chrony for Christmas and have had my eyes opened slightly.