My DAO SP-101

Help Support Ruger Forum:

White Willie

Bearcat
Hey guys. A couple weeks ago, I took my SP-101 to Teddy Jaconson (Actions by T) for some refinements. Well, I have my gun back and thought I'd show it off some.

Teddy did a complete action job (Street Reliability Package) on the gun. This involves a trigger job and the changing of springs to lighten the trigger. It also involves smoothing and polishing internal parts.

I also asked Teddy to bob the hammer. I was going to retain the SA capability but Teddy suggested that could be unsafe and recommended I convert it to DAO. So, I did.

At no charge, Teddy jeweled the cylinder back. Now it looks like a New Orleans pimp gun.

Anyway, as I expected, Teddy's work was superb. In the pics, you may notice this gun has some scratches and holster wear. This is not Teddy's doings. The gun gets carried.

SP1.jpg

SP2-2.jpg

SP3-1.jpg

SP4.jpg

In its Comp-Tac Undercover Pro holster:

SP5.jpg

SP6.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Elmer

Bearcat
Nice looking SP there Bill.

How does it shoot with that trigger job? The factory triggers on my SP101s are so heavy my 19yr old daughter can't shoot them with only one finger on the trigger.

I have a 2 1/4" factory DAO. I have considered getting a 3 1/16" and converting it to DAO. This just makes me want to do it even more...

DogBone

Bearcat
Oh that's a Beauty!

So, with that fancy jeweled cylinder, now it needs some mother-of-pearl grip inserts for the ultimate in "street cred". :wink:

Hope you enjoy that revolver, and thanks for the pics.

P.S. Elmer, I agree, I'd love to have a SP 3 incher with a bobbed hammer myself.

White Willie

Bearcat
Elmer, I haven't shot it since the trigger job was done. I hope to this weekend. Tedddy reduced the weight from 14 to 9# so it should be nice.

DogBone, I was thinking mother-of pearl too. Maybe a big hat with a wide, wide brim and a big peacock feather too.

deac45

Single-Sixer
Nice! I especialy like the cylinder jeweling...don't recall seeing that before. Hammers and triggers, but not cylinders.

deac45

diyj98

Single-Sixer
Very nice. I believe I'd have kept the SA function as you first wanted. You may never need it, but I just like the option of cocking the hammer if I want an accurate shot at some distance. Maybe at a coyote or other varmint I might stumble across.

ewayte

Bearcat
Glad to hear that Teddy is still doing work - your SP looks great! He did my factory DAO SP-101 years ago.

I had him smooth the edges of the trigger as you could have used it to shave with! I replaced the stock grip inserts with Tru Ivory ones on mine.

White Willie

Bearcat
ewayte":2fwmf66n said:
Glad to hear that Teddy is still doing work - your SP looks great! He did my factory DAO SP-101 years ago.

I had him smooth the edges of the trigger as you could have used it to shave with! I replaced the stock grip inserts with Tru Ivory ones on mine.

Teddy worked on the contour of my trigger too. It had hurt the inside of my finger previously. I hope it will be better now.

I've also added Hogue rosewood grips that seen to help the gun fit my hand better.

It's still a work in process.

dougader

Hunter
I shot a Browning Hi-Power that Teddy did for a friend of mine back in 1990. Suh-weet is the only way to describe it. The trigger was perfect and I could shoot dimes off a cube of butter at 15 yards with 'nary a miss. Accurate, tight and a trigger to die for.

I always wanted Teddy to do work for me...

White Willie

Bearcat
diyj98":fxuk838b said:
Very nice. I believe I'd have kept the SA function as you first wanted. You may never need it, but I just like the option of cocking the hammer if I want an accurate shot at some distance. Maybe at a coyote or other varmint I might stumble across.

That was my original thinking too DIY but, Teddy convinced me the gun would be safer as DAO.

Since I got it back, I think I'll have sufficient trigger control to establish a good sight picture before dropping the hammer.

HiCap

Bearcat
White Willie, I have been in touch with Teddy and I'm about to have him do a number on my action. I have to add about $100 to the price for shipping. That makes the action job $250. Steep, but I've never have gotten my 101 to sing like my LCR, and Smiths M 315, 10 and 65. I want to carry the 101 with the stiff Buffalo Bore 158 gr. SWCHP, not .357's. In your opinion is this a worthwhile investment?

HiCap

White Willie

Bearcat
Hey HiCap. Teddy does nice work but I don't know about $250 nice. Ive had Teddy do two guns for me and they both came out very nice. However, i've never used anyone else so I'm not sure how his work compares. I guess I'd shop locally if you haven't already.

Why in the world should it cost $100 to ship? I've shipped guns before via UPS and it was nowhere near that expensive.

Good luck.

HiCap

Bearcat
thank you White Willie. I took the SP-101 to a local gunsmith, who does fantastic work with 1911's.the reason it would cost $100, is that in order to ship from Rhode Island to Texas, it has to be UPS FedEx overnight. That puts $100 premium on the work that Teddy was going to do. So reluctantly, I must pass the opportunity of having him work on my SP-101.
I will let you know how the local Smith dies on the SP-101, when I returned from a business trip. Thanks for the advice.

HiCap