My Clark Custom Shop 10/22

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jstanfield103

Blackhawk
Guy's/Gal's

I received my Clark Custom Shop 10/22 rifle that I ordered off of GunBroker yesterday (2-16-2017)

I built one of my Ultimate's a few years ago that did not work out very well. It was an MOA Stainless Steel receiver with a Green Mountain Barrel. I bought all KIDD internals for it. Really a beautiful piece. But was a big disappointment.

First when receiving the Receiver and Barrel (threaded the barrel into receiver) it would not let the bolt line up. I called the company and they had me send it back to them. The fixed the alignment problem. Put the rifle together and worked great. Just the darn thing would not group worth a darn. Got looking at the crown of the barrel and it was all buggered up. I called the place that I bought it from and they had me send it back for a second time. They cut the end of the barrel off and sent it back to me. Still the darn thing would not group worth a darn. I use to have a TALO with the target stock on it and it was dead on, stupidly sold it to finish this ultimate build (how stupid). I got so tired with that 10/22 I sold it for a little of nothing. The guy I sold it to said that he thinks they cut the sweet spot out of the end of the barrel. I do not know but I have not had a 10/22 for a very long time know since I was so burnt on that one.

I decided to get back into paper punching, something that I always enjoyed. I saw a Clarks Custom Shop on GunBroker. Looked good from the pictures and they talked it up pretty good. I purchased this rifle at a good price. Cheaper than the new ones. It was made in 2013 before Jim Clark passed away.
I got the rifle yesterday. A little disappointed. The butt stock was not a Benn and Carlson original Butt stock. It was not even fitted to the stock. I did take it off and properly fitted the Butt Pad to the stock. The scope that was on the rifle was a cheap Millet so I had already gotten a 8-32x44 target scope in. When I went to mount the scope on the scope rail I noticed one of the scope rail screw holes were empty. I took a new scope rail screw that came from Ruger and it would not tighten down into the hole. I checked the other screw holes and again found another stripped out hole with the screw still in it. One front and one back hole. Still two good screw holes. I Loctite those two good screws into the hole they were in so they would not loosen up. They tightened down nicely. Got my scope mounted up and everything is looking better. Still have not heard from the seller as to what they want to do about the rifle. Probably won't either.

Anyway today I am on a mission to buy some 8x32 screws and two 8x32 tap's one being a bottom out tap to fix these screw holes. The front being where the barrel is and not all the way through. I will be glad to get it fixed and then see how this thing shoots. I am pretty sure it will be dead on (or a Tack driver )

I did get the screw holes fixed today. If they ever go bad again, which they should not I will just have Ruger replace the receiver.

Hi I was going to go with just about the same gun when I got into bench rest shooting I decided to go to some matches just to watch and see what everyone was shooting I did a lot of asking and was talked out of that platform for competition I saw one guy last year score a 250 23X with a Clark custom that was his best score ever that was an awesome score on any day but if you want to compete it will take a custom bolt gun and in no way am I belittling your gun when I look at what I put into my gun I think I need my head examined good luck I wish you the best

Gramps

jstanfield103

Blackhawk
GRAMPS 51

I know what you are saying. This rifle is just for self awareness target shooting. I find nothing more relaxing than taking my rifle into the pasture and firing for groups at my own pace. Usually slowly. If I had to compete I would loose interest because the relaxation would be gone and the competition would begin.

I have two other purely Target guns, both are single shot versions. I thought that this 10/22 would be fun when I got tired of single action shooting. Plus I know it will be almost as accurate as my Target Rifle.

Here is a couple pictures of my other guns for paper punching. They are not Anschutz, but they are almost as accurate and they will keep up at a fraction of the price.

1. Remington 540X made in 1973

2. Thompson Center Contender with 14" 22lr Match Barrel

Hi I have always wanted one of those Remington 540 x a friend has one and I tried to talk him out of it but his dad gave it to him and he wouldn't let go of it I started with a 1930s 52 Winchester target rifle with a 10x unertil it made me crazy it would shoot 4 into one hole at 50 yds then the point of impact would move 1/2 an inch for the next 4 but still one hole I tried a 20x unertil thinking it was the scope but the same thing I think a little play in the bolt was the problem so I gave in and built a custom single shot I believe I sunk $3500 into it and we did all the work our self including making the stock it was fun to build but i questioned my sanity if I do my part it will shoot 10 shots at 50 yds into one slightly stretched 22 caliber hole as for the competition shooting I only shoot against my self just try to better myself each shoot I have always said if you have to win you should stay home you have to have fun after all it is for relaxing :) :)

Gramps

jstanfield103

Blackhawk
Guy's/Gal's,

So far very happy with the rifle. I took her out today really just to see how she operated and to set the scope.

I fired a total of 65 rounds. The first 15 were just bulk hollow points to zero the scope. Then I started with CCI SV to fine tune the scope in. I will say this little rifle really shoots. I am extremely happy with her. In the picture below you can see I started out on bottom left and went clock wise around the targets. I have them numbered. I could not get my nerves to calm down seems that I shot a little better just plinking them off today but even the bottom right with the flier can easily be covered by a dime. All were 10 round groups.

I usually only shoot 25 yards due to my home range only being set up for that as of now. I have to plant some more posts and make a 50 and a 100 yard range to stretch her out.

Anyway hear are the pictures. I also made a final adjustment on the last target shot. Still may need to go one more click up. and I think it will be dead on.