My brother's photos.........

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
Yesterday, September 8th, would have been my brother's 103 rd. birthday. He died in 2001 at age 83. He served with the 55th Fighter Group, 8th Air Force, in England during WW II. Trained as an engine mechanic on Allison engines, he was the squadron clerk, in typical military procedure. He had a Kodak 616 folding camera while overseas. Unlike my youngest sister and me, he was not a camera buff. But then, he got these photos:

A P-38 with some of his friends:

On the back of this print he wrote "Take-off. D-Day"

The 55th later transitioned to the P-51 Mustang. The pilot in this photo is his squadron leader. He was credited with five kills, two in the 14th Air Force in SE Asia:

A color illustration of the same Mustang. "Daquake" was the squadron leader's nickname, and his call sign. Some time ago I saw a black F-82 Twin Mustang, 1950s vintage, with the same name:

A P-47 visited their base, in fact a whole squadron did:

Another visitor, a B-26 Marauder:

And, a B-17 stops by for some .50 cal. ammunition. At one time my brother told me they traded .50 cal. for ice cream.

Bob Wright

txramfan

Single-Sixer
I believe the white stripes on the P 38s was used on D Day . That is a B 17G , chin turret is the give away and the model my pop flew.
Thanks for sharing the pictures.

Snake45

Hawkeye
The P-47s with the VF codes are from the 4FG, which transitioned to P-51s long before D-Day.

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
The P-47s with the VF codes are from the 4FG, which transitioned to P-51s long before D-Day.
As I recall, the 4th Fighter Group flew Spitfires right after it was organized, then transitioned to P-47s then to the P-51. Flew the F-86 in Korea. Historic unit.

Bob Wright

mistermills357

Blackhawk
I knew a Normandy veteran, and he was a pretty good guy.
I went to his house once, and we sat around eating a big chocolate bar that I had brought with me.

He came down with cancer and moved away to some relatives. And that was the last time that I saw him.

g5m

Single-Sixer
Great photos! Thanks!
In looking through the book "Warbirds of World War II" by Ethell I found a photo of a man I knew when I was a kid. That was fun.

Snake45

Hawkeye
Believe it or not, P-51D DA QUAKE still exists! Not flyable and hasn't flown since it crashed in August 1944. but there are plans to restore it to flyable. Yes it can be done--Mustangs much farther gone than this have been successfully restored.

Believe it or not, P-51D DA QUAKE still exists! Not flyable and hasn't flown since it crashed in August 1944. but there are plans to restore it to flyable. Yes it can be done--Mustangs much farther gone than this have been successfully restore
Yep many have been restored. My neighbor rebuilt a MK-9 Spitfire over a 7 year period that came off of a post at the gate of an AFB in Holland. Every rivet and alum. skin was replaced along with many many other items.
All it takes is a Data Plate and money
1662860506600.png

1662860208725.png

Last edited: