My #3 (warning picture heavy)

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Just found this forum and thought I would show you my early summer project. I thought this Ruger #3 in 22 Hornet would look better with a nice Curly Maple stock.

I started this project April 7, 2008 and finished on June 13, 2008 (Friday the 13th)

Before
Ruger3B.jpg

After
Ruger3T.jpg

Ruger3C.jpg

Ruger3E.jpg

Ruger3L.jpg

Ruger3M.jpg

Ruger3N.jpg

Ruger3P.jpg

Ruger3R.jpg

ForendA.jpg

ForendB.jpg

ForendD.jpg

ForendE.jpg

Ruger3U.jpg

Ruger3V.jpg

Ruger3W.jpg

Ruger3X.jpg

I_Like_Pie

Blackhawk
That wood is absolutely amazing. Simply beautiful. Thanks for sharing and welcome to rugerforum.com...what an entrance!!!

/on another note...there was someone here looking for some #3 furniture not long ago.

deac45

Single-Sixer
Amazing! Welcome to the forum.

That's a rather unique looking vise, too. Any background on it?

deac45

41Dude

Single-Sixer
deac45":38ns29cm said:
Amazing! Welcome to the forum.

That's a rather unique looking vise, too. Any background on it?

deac45

Beat me to it :D AMAZING work!!!!!!!! But the vice is pretty cool.

deac45 and I are on the same page :lol:

Now THAT is a great "upgrade"! I especially love the styling of the pistol grip; reminds me of a classic American double shotgun. The schnabel forend is also classic; functional and beautiful. I've seen lots of upgraded #3s, but this is the best.

A job you must be very proud of!

I_Like_Pie

Blackhawk
Don Lovel":ed90pue9 said:
Beautiful!
I sure wish Ruger would pull it's corporate head out of it's corporate ass and offer a new run of #3 rifles with calibers like 454 Casull or the Winchester short mags

My shoulder is throbbing just thinking about a hot .454 load out of a #3. .45-70 plinkers hurt pretty bad as it is.

/But it would be cool if they did.

pvtschultz

Blackhawk
Wow, as a grip maker I can definately appreciate the work that you put in to that fine rifle. Congratulations on a fine job and welcome to the Ruger Forum.

Do you mind disclosing what you used for a stain? That look would be very nice on a single action revolver...

Thank you for all the comments. This was my first attempt at a stock and a real learning experience. I have tried my hand at a few sets of grips and will post pictures of a set I made for one of the forum members. To answer a few of the questions, the vise is a "Carriage Makers" vice used for making wooden wheels. The jaws rotate all the way around. The rounded pistol grip was patterned after one of my doubles and the schnabel forend was patterned after a Sharps with a little modification. If you noticed I also did away with Ruger's angled forend bolt and put this one in vertical. As for creating an Heirloom, I don't know about that, but I am afraid to take it in the field after whistle pigs now LOL

1RugerFan_33

Single-Sixer
Ohio Outdoorsman, that is BEAUTIFUL work and wood! I especially like the rounded pistol grip and forend. That is some fine work; welcome to the forum.

As twobisquit asked, I am wondering too, about how you finished that stock to make it look as such...? I have seen others done up like this, but cannot remember the process involved; it is more than just cating/staining, or the wood itself, isn't it?

1RugerFan_33":3j2jsjn3 said:

As twobisquit asked, I am wondering too, about how you finished that stock to make it look as such...? I have seen others done up like this, but cannot remember the process involved; it is more than just cating/staining, or the wood itself, isn't it?

I finish sand to 600 grit then use Chromic acid to stain the wood. I put a coat on and let it
dry for 15 minutes then a second coat after it has dried for 15 minutes I wipe the wood down real good with straight ammonia this neutralizes the acid. I then wet sand it with 2000 grit 8 or 10 times using half and half turpentine and linseed oil with a little powdered Alkenet root mixed in (the Alkenet gives it a very light reddish cast). I allow 3 hours or more between wet sandings. This sanding brings a slurry
of what looks like mud up out of the grain. I then let it dry for a couple of days and start a hand rubbed oil finish. I use Min Wax "ANTIQUE OIL FINISH" it's hard to find, it's a tongue oil finish and comes in a red and black can, only place I can find it locally is Menards. I put a drop or 2 on let it set for no more than 2 minutes then buff
with a soft cloth. After 6 or 8 coats it will start looking real nice. Experiment with a piece of scrap. It's a lot of work but I haven't seen anything that can compete with it.

Latest posts