Muzzle?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Jayhawkhuntclub

Buckeye
Anybody think there is a problem with this?

FSCN3723.jpg

FSCN3722.jpg

Maybe it's nothing, but see how the bevel is wider on one side than the other? Could this cause my problem with accuracy? Or am I just being anal?

Cholo

Staff member
I have a Rem 581 .22 rifle that I had the barrel shortened to 18 1/8". The smith pointed out that my barrel was bored slightly off centered so the new crown was a little off like yours. It still shoots great! The bullet doesn't touch the crown so it being a little off center shouldn't affect it.

There are guys on this Forum that know a heck of a lot more than I do about these things. I agree with the replies in your other thread to send the cylinder off to www.cylindersmith.com

Good luck!

Redhawk4

Single-Sixer
I believe the crown is supposed to be symetrical and even, so theoretically the escaping gasses behind the bullet, as it leaves the barrel, do not upset its flight.

I guess the proof of the pudding is in the eating though, so if the gun shoots accurately it doesn't matter other than cosmetically. If the gun doesn't shoot well this could be the problem or part of it, but you would still need to eliminate some other potential problems before assuming it's all this.

jpickar

Blackhawk
Redhawk4

You are correct IF you are shooting a target rifle. It really doesn't come into play with a handgun or sporting rifle.

Tha is nothing to worry about. I have a few worse than yours Jayhawkhuntclub and they shoot real well.

john

deac45

Single-Sixer
I see a couple of dings at 2 & 8 0'clock that appear to get into the chamfer. How's it shoot? If accuracy is good I wouldn't worry about it.

deac45

mohavesam

Hawkeye
jpickar":iukuba2l said:
Redhawk4

You are correct IF you are shooting a target rifle. It really doesn't come into play with a handgun or sporting rifle.

Tha is nothing to worry about. I have a few worse than yours Jayhawkhuntclub and they shoot real well.

john

Agree. The rifling appears to crown evenly and crisply.

A Ruger revolver is not an Olympic-class competition piece. If you have a Ransom rest laying around you could prove me wrong, but shooting at 10-60 yards I doubt any impact affect will be sufferred. Moreso the effect from trigger technique, sight alignment, and wrist/hand stength will move repeatable impact around much more drastically. YMMV

If you cannot live with it, a $30 target-crown job will allow peaceful sleep.

:idea: