Muley with the 45

Help Support Ruger Forum:

sixshot

Buckeye
Took this muley doe today with my Ruger Bisley 45 & the grand old 260 gr Keith with 18.5 grs of 2400. This load has been a long time favorite for decades, not only for me but for many lovers of the fine 45 caliber six guns.
Again, this was a depredation hunt, only today the deer were really jumpy, it was easy to see that they had been hunted pretty hard since I had been here last. Every deer I spotted was up & running, this wasn't going to be easy. Plus there weren't as many deer as before, somebody had pressured them pretty good & many of the brushy draws were empty, the heavy cockle burr patches where I had hunted before only held 2-3 deer & they were up & running as soon as I got close.
I got off the 4 wheeler & walked some new areas & did jump some deer but again they were up & running as soon as they sensed danger (me) & they never stopped to look back. AS mentioned my belt gun today was my Bisley 45, a gun & caliber that I dearly love. I've taken lots of game with the 45 including 4 elk, the 45 is a proven game getter, with correct loads it takes a back seat to nothing.
My second gun as usual was my scoped 357 Maximum 10.5" gun, it's been with me on every trip & not once has it been out of the Barranti shoulder rig. I thought today I might have to use it the way things started out, this was turning into another sweaty, dirty, smoky (fires) in your face grind.
I made a 4-5 mile swing & the only thing I spotted was 7-8 antelope going top speed across a section of short Alfalfa. Watching antelope is one of my favorite things to do but you have to do it quick, these 80-90 lb Ballistic Missles can change zip codes in 90 seconds so you can't take your eyes off them or they are out of sight in a hurry.
I decided to leave the area I had been hunting & go into some border line cover that was close by & I had seen deer there in past years. There is a place where they have used a bull dozer to push up a long dirt bank, probably to stop erosion. This spot has a bunch of rock & Sagebrush grown in & is about 10-15 yds wide with CRP on one side & a harvested grain field on the other. You will see a photo of the end of it about the 4th photo. It's wider further back.
As I ease along going slow I have my walking stick in my left hand & the bottom resting on my left foot board. You will see a couple of photo's of it also. After about 200 yds I spot a deer sneaking through the very tall (4-5 feet) Sagebrush moving away from me but not running. I stop & run my left wrist through the leather loop on my walking stick as I draw the Bisley 45 from my strong side Barranti rig, the same rig I wore when I shot the antelope. With my left wrist through the loop I had to twist it 3-4 times to get my wrist high enough & then I could get both hands on the gun. This is a very steady hold, one I've used many times but never while sitting on the 4 wheeler.
I finally spot the deer & it's partially hidden by some Sagebrush but not enough that I can't get a bullet in there. The doe is facing to my left as I settle the "Sixshot" fiber optic sight on the rib cage & start my squeeze. At the shot the deer drops & 3 other deer take off to my left out into the CRP on a hard run. I wait 3-4 seconds & see my deer get up & take 8-10 steps out into the stubble & drop.
The big Keith slug had broke the left front leg, hit the heart & one lung & exited, it never gets old with a six gun, ever, doing it with the grand old 45 brings back a lot of memories, all of them good. I ranged the shot after I pulled the trigger which is how it works out many times. Sometimes I can range an animal before the shot but many times it just doesn't work out that way, like on the antelope, I misjudged it bad but the flat shooting gun bailed me out. The shot was 58 yds using my walking stick as a rest. You see the gun in my left hand but that's just for the photo. I almost always shoot right handed.

yhGY2gmh.jpg

ZTlM5zsh.jpg

sfyHvnoh.jpg

uoyp1ozh.jpg

qM1MNryh.jpg

fWvQ4R2h.jpg

LsCu1bQh.jpg

5ZPsOSQh.jpg

unAVdkZh.jpg

Dick

contender

Ruger Guru
As always,, the "Tales from Soda" are enjoyable reading.

Here,,, we are still a few weeks out from our archery season, and the depredation tags are not good yet either. To see all this even before the end of August,,, just makes me itch for a good quiet deer hunt all that much more.

sixshot

Buckeye
Thanks Gary, as I was driving home from my deer hunt my oldest son sent two photo's, one is him with a beautiful 22" Cutthroat he had just caught on his fly rod & the other is one of his sons' in the arena standing on the back of his horse Maverik, not sure when he took up Roman riding!

7r7wp9rh.jpg

vNQNjNMh.jpg

Dick

Dick, once again, thanks for the great story and all the pictures. You might need to consider writing some magazine articles or a book. There needs to be a replacement for Dick Metcalf. :) You could be the replacement.

Your grandson has a real knack with horses. I like it.

sixshot

Buckeye
Here's a photo of my walking sticks that I have used many times for shooting. Both of them are about 15 years old but I sure need to refinish the one on the left, it use to be bright red! Too much snow & crossing cricks (creeks to you southern boys) these are 60" long & you can see the short leather lace through the one on the right, that's how they came for Boyd's Gunstocks. The one I used a few days ago I had replaced with way too much shoe lace, had to wrap it several times to get it up tight enough.

1CVwbCth.jpg

qFkp34jh.jpg

Dick