MTAC or Crossbreed?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

tj_cubin

Bearcat
Hey guys,
I'm currently looking for an IWB holster for concealed carry for my SR9.

Right now I'm considering the Minotaur MTAC Holster from Comp-Tac (http://www.comp-tac.com/product_info.php?products_id=95)

and the Crossbreed Supertuck Deluxe (http://www.crossbreedholsters.com/I...ault.aspx?SortField=UnitCost+DESC,ProductName)

I know i have read and heard from alot of people who love the SuperTuck, and I was hoping there might be someone here who has tried them both for comparison. The price difference is only about 10 bucks, so that is no big deal.

I do like the ability to customize the MTAC to adjust how high or low the holster rides on the belt, as well as the cant. From the picture on the crossbreed site, it doesn't look like the SuperTuck has this ability.

My one concern about the MTAC is retention. I watched a pretty in depth review of the holster on YouTube and the one complaint the kid had was that after using the holster, he had maxed out the retention screws and it was still a little loose. But the kid did have a large gun; much larger than i would consider carrying.

I'm sort of leaning towards the MTAC, but I have heard so much praise from crossbreed owners that its hard to decide. Is there anyone here that has experience with both that can compare them?

Any input you guys could give me on these specific holsters would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
TJ

ConradM

Blackhawk
Can't compare, but I know I like my MTAC. and I'm not sure how old the video you watched is but, comptac has since addressed that issue by adding a bump for the trigger guard.

I also like that the rivets on the MTAC aren't exposed. MTAC just "seemed" like a more quality product to me.

Doble Troble

Bearcat
I carry my 1911 in a crossbreed. Out of a drawer full it's what I use. I wish I would have found it earlier.

When I don't carry my 1911, I carry an LCP in my front pocket - no holster. It just goes away.

tj_cubin

Bearcat
Thanks guys.
Conrad, your post about getting the MTAC is what prompted my interest in it.
I was really hoping you had tried a crossbreed as well for comparison.

Like I said, I'm leaning towards the MTAC, and I'm just wondering if there's any differences i have over looked.

I know its hard to get balanced opinions on the subject because everyone loves what they prefer, and usually can't compare to other models they don't use.

ArmedinAZ

Buckeye
My son and I had Crossbreed Supertucks ordered for quite some time, kept getting a bit of a run-around when they might ship, finally canceled our order. We really wanted them and understand they're busy but it just got a little too vague. This was earlier in the summer, hope they have things smoothed out by now.

slippingaway

Blackhawk
I love both of my crossbreeds, one for my P345 and one for my LCP (minituck).

Supertucks do allow you to adjust the height and cant, each clip has 4 different positions so there are 16 different possible configurations. Retention is really good on the supertuck, because it uses the pressure of your body against the holster for retention. No tension screws to adjust.

I've looked really hard at the MTAC, but it's thicker, and doesn't look like it could be as comfortable. I like that the holster section can be swapped out for other guns, but the fact that it's a separate holster section means that there's a considerable difference in thickness from the supertuck.

I never had any trouble with getting mine when I ordered, but the newest one was last christmas.

taker

Bearcat
slippingaway":1z8751x9 said:
I've looked really hard at the MTAC, but it's thicker, and doesn't look like it could be as comfortable. I like that the holster section can be swapped out for other guns, but the fact that it's a separate holster section means that there's a considerable difference in thickness from the supertuck.

Is the extra thickness really an issue? I mean, how much thicker can it be.
How about the overall width of the MTAC -vs- the crossbreed....the MTAC seems to be more compact and not as wide. Does this affect how it carries on the body?

slippingaway

Blackhawk
taker":1qdggt03 said:
slippingaway":1qdggt03 said:

Is the extra thickness really an issue? I mean, how much thicker can it be.
How about the overall width of the MTAC -vs- the crossbreed....the MTAC seems to be more compact and not as wide. Does this affect how it carries on the body?

It might seem like it's not that much thicker, but there is an extra layer of kydex in there, and the mounting hardware. I've noticed that especially with IWB holsters, even a small difference in width can make a big difference in comfort and concealment.

As far as how wide they are, I think the extra width of the supertuck helps distribute the weight better, and make it more comfortable.

Jumping Frog

Bearcat
Doble Troble":3uiaprbh said:
I carry my 1911 in a crossbreed. Out of a drawer full it's what I use. I wish I would have found it earlier.
I agree completely. After getting my crossbreed, it is the first holster that I've found that I literally put on when I put on my pants in the morning, and then I disarm when I undress for bed. I wear my gun all day every day in complete comfort.

Doble Troble":3uiaprbh said:
When I don't carry my 1911, I carry an LCP in my front pocket - no holster. It just goes away.
Personally, I think putting any gun in a pocket without a holster is asking for a negligent discharge. It may not happen now, it may not happen next year.
But carry a gun every day for 25 years and that is one of the practices that can come out of nowhere to bite you.

Their are many inexpensive pocket holsters that will keep your trigger covered. The DeSantis Nemesis is one that is well known.

Turbobuddha

Single-Sixer
I really like my Supertuck. Never used the MTAC. My Supertuck is horsehide with the combat cut. I use it when I shoot IDPA or take various training classes and it's been great.

There is another one, Kholster. Fully customizable by you. Set it up how you want it and cut off what you don't want. I've heard a lot of great things about. Everyone I've seen with one ends up looking just like a Supertuck when their done though.

http://www.kholster.com/products.htm

tkarter

Single-Sixer
Another Crossbreed user. I carry my P95 in one every day all day and couldn't be happy with any other holster.

tk