Moving day

Help Support Ruger Forum:

contender

Ruger Guru
Not me,, but my oldest & his wife. He'd gotten a new job about 6 months ago,, which was causing him to work a 4 day work week,, 10 hr days,, and drive almost 4 hours a day from his home.
Well, they carefully looked around the area of his new job to find a good affordable home. And,, they also knew they'd have to sell theirs,, and then buy. They wanted it all to happen at the same time if possible.

Well, it's happening.

So, yesterday,, was the "big" moving day. All the bigger,, heavier stuff. This included tool boxes,, & equipment for his side business. Big,, cumbersome, and heavy. And as always,, his "friends" had excuses as to why they couldn't help.
Well, of course,, they knew they could depend up on us.

So, yesterday, renting a 26 ft U-Haul box truck,, loading it, driving almost 2 hours, unloading it, and all, made for a long day.
But I had to chuckle a bit. Our DIL once asked Miss Penny; "Can you get him to slow down?" I was working them hard to get it done. And apparently none of them could keep up with this old man. Jess even asked; "How old is Tyrone?" When Penny told her almost 64,, she said I was the hardest working "old man" she'd ever seen.
Even our son,, he was dragging & weakened long before we got done.

My reward? Hugs from both.

And it was priceless.

I have a big pickup, and a large enclosed trailer. I get volunteered often. But I really don't mind.

And I have found too, many youngsters just can't keep up with the 'old men'.:cool:

Last edited:

Jeepnik

Hawkeye
I think the differeence is that most of us old guys grew up doing hard work. We just haven't stopped. Most of today's kids work in an air conditioned place full of soft surfaces and smooth corners. Our world was out in the elements, hard and jagged. You can usually tell by looking at the hands.

On a side note dad always told me to "look at a man's hands before you decide to pick a fight with him". If they are callused and scared, walk away.

woodsy

Blackhawk
Well, perhaps sonny may profit from doing less physical stuff. I failed to ignore heavy stuff and now have increasingly bad lower-back pain. Parts simply wear out over time. Tell the "kid" to take it easy and have others do the heavy work. Just some friendly advice. I'm more than ten years older than Tyrone.

Mobuck

Hawkeye
Good on you. Moving is always traumatic. We've only moved twice in almost 50 years of marriage and the longest move was 5 miles. On the other hand older Son has moved 5 times since he got married with the shortest being 15 miles. The most recent(I'm certainly hoping it is the LAST) was a 4 hour haul. He had a small acreage farm and a jumble of carpenter and mechanic's tools plus commercial floriculture equipment. Since I was retired, I had 'plenty of time' and spent 5 weeks making 2x 300 mile rounds trips a week with my pickup and 20' gooseneck flatbed. My Cousin has a bigger trailer and he made 2 trips when I wasn't keeping up.

contender

Ruger Guru
I smiled at all the responses so far.
After this move,, he's said "Never again!" I cautioned him; "Remember,, it was a job change that caused this move." His reply; "If I don't die with this place,, next time,, I'm hiring a moving company."

Y'all are right in that most "younger" folks haven't been raised to work as hard as most of us older folks. And yes,, I can't do as much as I used to do.

But I did stress the taking care of the back & body stuff as well. And as for my back,, well,, I learned long ago to try & prevent damage to it. Plus,, nowadays, I use a "Teeter Hang-Up" chair daily. It's allowed my back to actually feel better than it did before the chair.
I start my day with a 9-10 min inversion,, and relaxation period. When I started,, my back was usually hurting some,, and would pop a fair amount. Now,, it doesn't hurt nearly as much,, AND the popping has reduced to more casual movements.

He has worked as a tool & die man,, and equipment operator for a few decades now. Luckily,, he's now an "office geek" and I tease him a little about that. His physical stuff has been limited in the last few years.

I offered my truck & my trailer to assist in the move,, but the big U-Haul worked just fine.

Mobuck

Hawkeye
The first time we moved, it was from a furnished mobile home to another mobile home. We'd already accumulated and moved the basic furniture into the new-to-us 12x44 trailer so only had clothes and pantry stuff. Two loads in the car and one pickup bed full and only 3 miles--seemed pretty easy. Second time involved moving stuff from her parents and my parents who'd been storing stuff for us. Again, mostly clothes and kitchen stuff--still fairly easy and only 5 miles. After 42 years here, it would take 4-5 semi trailers to move just the stuff that's man portable--the only way out is an auction.

xtratoy

Buckeye
And as always,, his "friends" had excuses as to why they couldn't help.
Well, of course,, they knew they could depend up on us.
Par for the course ... and it seems like the ones that do show only stay for short time before they have to leave. Been there, done that before.

375hh1973

Single-Sixer
First move, we did it ourselves. Wifes brother, myself, couple college buddies.

That was enough.

Next one, we hired movers, best money I ever spent.

Carrij

Bearcat
Had eight houses during my working days. Apartments don’t count as there was not enough room to accumulate stuff yet. Did the first three myself. One and two were less than ten miles apart. Third time it was four hours round trip. Did it but said never again. Turns out the last five were anywhere from eight hundred miles to fifteen hundred miles, no way I was doing that. Fortunate enough to never having any issues or damage on any of those moves.

BearBiologist

Single-Sixer
One BIG advantage for working for the Feds is they moved us from central Cali to eastern Washington. I went first=they paid for 2 month lodging for me, as well as gas, and food on the way and while at my destination.

Wife completed another semester of grad school in order to get a graduate certificate in management and then followed. They paid for a trailer (to move guns and hunting trophies), as well as a van and storage for furniture and household stuff, as well as gas, food, and lodging for her travel. Paid closing costs on our house 6 mo. later, when we bought.

A year or so later, the feds stopped paying expenses for moves in most cases. that really cut back on the hiring "the best and the brightest" principle for government service.

We made the first move ourselves from La Canada/Glendale to Sacramento, but wife's boss lent us a delivery van and two of the warehouse workers helped with the move. A taxidermist friend packed my 2 trophy bull elk, 3 deer heads and several wild boar for us (I was already in SAC.)

The house before my present one was all done by Uncle. This one we did via a moving company. Linda was VERY pregnant and I was about to head away for a JAAT (Joint Army-Airforce Training) exercise week. That was late April 1981. I still have beer steins that have never been unpacked from that move.

Latest posts