Movie Devotion

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Seeing the OV-10 mentioned above, I had a customer in yesterday, older guy moving slow and complaining about his back being sore. In
conversation I asked him about it and he said he broke it in the military many years ago, he was the observer in a OV-10 that took a hit
and had to eject out. Broke his back either getting blown out or hitting the ground. I didn't even know the OV-10s had seats in them.
Apparently had an engine fire that was getting worse and at about 1000 feet decided it was time for them to leave. Commented that
a loaded OV-10 didn't fly very well on one engine.

dannyd

Blackhawk
I worked for the guy's that manned those flight desks off Korea most of them were great guy's sometimes a little scary but they could teach you how to survive up on the roof. :)

Paul B

Buckeye
Just remembered (thanks to my wife) that the P-51 movie's title is "Tuskegee Airmen".
"Never saw it. It looked like a typical modern CGI turd in the commercials.

HBO did a Tuskegee Airmen movie a decade or so ago, which I did see. It wasn't completely horrible but I certainly wouldn't rate it anywhere near great. :confused:"

Are you sure? You might be thinking RED TAILS which had a lot CGI work.
Paul B.

Snake45

Hawkeye
"Never saw it. It looked like a typical modern CGI turd in the commercials.

HBO did a Tuskegee Airmen movie a decade or so ago, which I did see. It wasn't completely horrible but I certainly wouldn't rate it anywhere near great. :confused:"

Are you sure? You might be thinking RED TAILS which had a lot CGI work.
Paul B.
You might well be right--I forgot to check up on these. Thanks! ;)

Just went to see this today. Awesome movie, I don't often have tears in my eyes at the end of movies, but I did today. I don't know much about the "correctness" of the aircraft, etc., but the story was pretty intense and well told. Once again, I am moved to thank anyone who has served in the military.

I was 4F, had a college deferment, and my dad (WWII vet) always said "I served so you wouldn't have to", but I still feel guilty that I didn't find some way to serve.

Thank you to all vets........
turd,
There were six of us that saw the movie and we all had to wait awhile before we could leave. The ending is pretty tough to watch.
Now PLEASE read the book. The book also goes in to more detail of the Marines from the Carrier and what they endured during The Battle Of The Frozen Chosin and how hard the Navy tried to help
them.
Son Trey has this beautiful framed 31" x 19" painting which is signed by Lt. Hudner and others hanging in his office.

1670007051392.png

turd

Buckeye
turd,
There were six of us that saw the movie and we all had to wait awhile before we could leave. The ending is pretty tough to watch.
Now PLEASE read the book. The book also goes in to more detail of the Marines from the Carrier and what they endured during The Battle Of The Frozen Chosin and how hard the Navy tried to help
them.
Son Trey has this beautiful framed 31" x 19" painting which is signed by Lt. Hudner and others hanging in his office.

View attachment 11630
Jim, I ordered the book today. I'm looking forward to the additional depth of the story. Its been awhile since a movie touched me this much.

Jim, I ordered the book today. I'm looking forward to the additional depth of the story. Its been awhile since a movie touched me this much.
Good for you. I'm sure you will enjoy it, I know Son and I did and we were glad they made it into a great movie.

UNBROKEN is another good book about Louis Zamperini and a movie that follows the book that I highly recommend

I read that book. I don't think I could bear to watch the movie.
I find it hard to believe that a human can go thru the horror and pain that was inflected on the POWs by the Japs.
The movie showed some but not all that took place. Just no way that it could without making everybody that watched it sick.
The sad part is the Bird got off from prosecution as a war criminal. Thank our Government for that.

Snake45

Hawkeye
Saw it today. That happened to me, too. :cry:

I saw A Star Is Born for the first time yesterday. I didn't think I'd ever again see a better movie with a sadder ending. I was wrong.

I was expecting the movie to be crapped up with a lot of PC and Woke garbage. I was glad to see this was kept to an absolute minimum.

For Airplane Nerds Only: If you're a true airplane geek, the first 10 minutes with the Bearcats is by itself worth whatever it costs you to see this movie.

For the most part they used -4 Corsairs, but I spotted -1s in at least two scenes--two of them in one scene.

All three variants of the -4 Corsair windscreen and canopy are seen in the movie.

This immediately shoots to the top of my personal "Best Airplane Movies EVER!" list. My rating: Very Most Way Hella Snakeworthy! (y)(y);)

Saw it today. That happened to me, too. :cry:

I saw A Star Is Born for the first time yesterday. I didn't think I'd ever again see a better movie with a sadder ending. I was wrong.

I was expecting the movie to be crapped up with a lot of PC and Woke garbage. I was glad to see this was kept to an absolute minimum.

For Airplane Nerds Only: If you're a true airplane geek, the first 10 minutes with the Bearcats is by itself worth whatever it costs you to see this movie.

For the most part they used -4 Corsairs, but I spotted -1s in at least two scenes--two of them in one scene.

All three variants of the -4 Corsair windscreen and canopy are seen in the movie.

This immediately shoots to the top of my personal "Best Airplane Movies EVER!" list. My rating: Very Most Way Hella Snakeworthy! (y)(y);)
Snake,
I'm really glad that you liked the movie and it passed The Snake Test. I'm sure I would have heard about it if it didn't pass. :)
The Planes used 3-4 Corsairs, 1-FG-1D Corsair which they tried not to show much of, 1-MIG-15, 1-Skyraider,
2- Bearcats, and the Sikorsky HO5S.
A little tidbit for you. The scenes of Jessie and Tom from inside the cockpits when the Bearcats were flying was filmed from the backseat of a two place Sea Fury. The distance from the rear cockpit to the vert. stab looks similar to a Bearcats. So the actors were yanking and banking like in Top Gun Maverick.
Son, Grandson, and I are friends with one of the pilots that flew the Corsair. At one time he restored and flew a FM-2 Wildcat.
1670898180693.png

Last edited:

Snake45

Hawkeye
I saw it in one of those fancy movies with the lazy boy type seats and the noise all-around you.
So did I--my first time, and I'll never willingly go to any other type of movie theater again.

They made a big deal when I bought my ticket about special assigned seating. I had to pick out my seat on a computer screen. I chose front row, dead center. Took me about 10 seconds of sitting there to realize I'd made a big mistake--I was WAY too close. I got up and moved three rows back--which would have been about 6 or 8 rows back in a normal theater. The screen just about filled my vision range perfectly from there.

Moving didn't turn out to be any problem at all. There was only one other woman in the whole theater. I could have sat in EVERY seat--TWICE--during the movie if the mood had struck me.

I got a lot of entertainment value for my $7 ticket (Senior price) today. ;) (y)