Movie Devotion

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Hey Guys,
Saw the movie Devotion which is the story of two Naval Aviators Jessie Brown, who was the first black Naval Aviator, and Tom Hudner who received the MOH for his act.
It is a very good movie and follows the book well, which I read a few years ago. Most all of the flying is the real stuff and you Corsair Guys will love it. The flying filming was done by the same company that filmed Top Gun Maverick
If interested you can find more info on the net.

Colonialgirl

Hawkeye
Selling papers on Navy air stations years ago, I ALWAYS loved seeing the Corsair F4U's; I thought they were a great looking aircraft
. I remember my Dad telling one time about how over in Hawaii, a couple of air force craft were harassing some Navy pilots in older model Corsairs, So the unit commander climbed into HIS F4U that was the latest Super Charged F4U model and ran the air force out of the sky; Dont know how true it was BUT made a great story.

The man that made the movie possible is a former Marine by the name of Fred Smith who served two tours in Viet Nam in the back seat of an OV-10. He also started a flying company by the name of FedEx and is the CEO. He GAVE the movie to The Marine Corps Scholarship Foundation.

Here is a Sikorsky HO5S-1 like the one used in Devotion.
The one used is the oldest flying Helo in the world.
1669609858006.png

vito

Hunter
I hope its a good movie. So often these "inspirational" type movies seem like something made for the Hallmark channel with all unrealistically good looking people, cheesy dialogue and wooden acting.

woodsy

Blackhawk
Every time I see that movie preview I get all choked up. Same with that other movie (from several years ago) featuring the black pilots flying P-51's to support the Air Corps bombers near the end of WW2.

Snake45

Hawkeye
Just remembered (thanks to my wife) that the P-51 movie's title is "Tuskegee Airmen".
Never saw it. It looked like a typical modern CGI turd in the commercials.

HBO did a Tuskegee Airmen movie a decade or so ago, which I did see. It wasn't completely horrible but I certainly wouldn't rate it anywhere near great. :confused:

turd

Buckeye
Just went to see this today. Awesome movie, I don't often have tears in my eyes at the end of movies, but I did today. I don't know much about the "correctness" of the aircraft, etc., but the story was pretty intense and well told. Once again, I am moved to thank anyone who has served in the military.

I was 4F, had a college deferment, and my dad (WWII vet) always said "I served so you wouldn't have to", but I still feel guilty that I didn't find some way to serve.

Thank you to all vets........