Mouse guns... better option than nothing at all...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Pic request. Size comparison of 3 guns.

1. Ruger LCP
2. AMT backup .380
3. NAA Guardian .380

If anyone has access to all 3 or at least 2 of the 3 mentioned, posting a pic of them together would help me greatly.

Also. If i decide to go up in caliber, will be considering a Kahr Arms MK9 or PM9.

I currently have a Kahr Arms CW9, but is no longer the most ideal concealment option for my current situation.

Without going into great detail, I'm glad my Ruger family understands here and is willing to help. Thanks again guys.

3leggeddog

Single-Sixer
DA_TriggR4Ruger":2vegdye1 said:
Pic request. Size comparison of 3 guns.

1. Ruger LCP
2. AMT backup .380
3. NAA Guardian .380

If anyone has access to all 3 or at least 2 of the 3 mentioned, posting a pic of them together would help me greatly.

Also. If i decide to go up in caliber, will be considering a Kahr Arms MK9 or PM9.

I currently have a Kahr Arms CW9, but is no longer the most ideal concealment option for my current situation.

Without going into great detail, I'm glad my Ruger family understands here and is willing to help. Thanks again guys.

My local dealer had a lot of good things to say about the New Diamon Back .380... Its small, just right for a pocket gun. This is one of the very few times that he has recommend a gun to me!

tookalisten

Blackhawk
That is interesting about the Diamond Back 380; I was in my local gun store this past week and not even looking for a pocket gun and my gun dealer called me over to show me one too. He said it had great reviews and he was recommending it as well. It did have a nice feel to it; but I have never shot a 380 and cannot comment personally.

Cholo

Staff member
Not a great pic, but it will give you an idea. Top to bottom:

Ruger LCP
NAA .380
NAA .32

The NAA .380 is actually a bit smaller than the LCP but weighs a lot more. I don't doubt it's stout enough for a steady diet of Buffalo Bore bullets. Well, as much as you'd actually want to shoot one of these guns anyway. The NAA .32 is quite a bit smaller than their .380. It's only in there for comparison purposes.

MouseGuns.jpg

Allmost perfect reply, thanx! Well, finances as they are, it seems I'll be needing to sell my Kahr CW9 OR possibly trade it in on one of these mouse guns. Guess my next question is, any personal opinions on which the best mouse gun is, please feel free to add personal carry preferences/experiences. What ones are capable of hotter loads?

SR9c

Bearcat
Well, the obvious choice is the LCP... light weight. The AMT is history...been out of business for years now...The NAA is sized right, but very heavy by comparison. From my experience, I have owned the Kel-tec, NAA, Seecamp and ofcourse the usual PPK, PPK/s, Sig P230 & 232, Colt mustang lightweight and have never really been a fan. For me, I have found anywhere I can take a small 380, I can take a small 9mm...and I have carried every day of my life for 40 years.

Anthony Williams

Single-Sixer
My Numero Uno all time favorite carry piece is my satin nickle Bersa .380. I was extremely disapointed when Ruger chambered their little LCP in only one caliber. I'm still beating the drum for one in .22LR. Truth is, ladies and gents, you don't need a hand cannon to put a man down. Drill a .22 Cal. hole in any man's skull and he will drop as quick as the Stock Market. :wink:

Aqualung

Blackhawk
I have the NAA Guardian .380 and the MK9. I bought the Guardian off a guy here on RF (unfortunately, can't remember whom) sight-unseen.

The Guardian is a great gun, but unfortunately, not much smaller than my MK9, so it pretty much fits the same niche in my PD "arsenal". I have pretty much the same sized gun in two calibers. Of course, 6+1 of 9mm is better than 6+1 of .380.

Thoughts about the Guardian:
- The Guardian, being blowback is actually more brutal to shoot, IMO. For an "underpowered" cartrige, it's punishing on the shooter.
- The Guardian does not have a slide stop, so the slide does not lock back...unless you consider the last empty case jamming the slide open to be a slide stop (something NAA does not consider a problem: see HERE)
- It's hell-for-stout and very well made and a very good gun for its intended use. They have Kahr's quality (Kahr actually makes the frames).

So, my opinion is that if you're seriously considering the NAA Guardian, you might be better served with an MK9 or PM9 instead.

That being said, I wouldn't hesitate to sell/trade off the .380 Guardian for a .32 Guardian, as I'd like to have a smaller pocket pistol for times that my carrying should be more discreet.

Aqualung

Aqualung

Blackhawk
Cholo":1eej8zc1 said:
Not a great pic, but it will give you an idea. Top to bottom:

Ruger LCP
NAA .380
NAA .32

The NAA .380 is actually a bit smaller than the LCP but weighs a lot more. I don't doubt it's stout enough for a steady diet of Buffalo Bore bullets. Well, as much as you'd actually want to shoot one of these guns anyway. The NAA .32 is quite a bit smaller than their .380. It's only in there for comparison purposes.

MouseGuns.jpg

Cholo,

How do you like your .32 Guardian? I've been seriously thinking of selling my .380 to get a .32.

Aqualung

mcgivern

Bearcat
I would like to add one to the list. Be sure to check out the new Taurus TCP in .380. It is the same size as the LCP and has a much better trigger. I had an LCP but sold it several months ago and just got a TCP--haven't fired it yet.

welldoya

Single-Sixer
I've been thinking about getting a .380 and learning all I can about them for the past couple of months. I would really like to have a Kahr (or Seecamp or Rohrbaugh) but don't want to put out $600+ for a pocket gun. I've read about the Diamondback but haven't been able to hold one. I'm kind of leery of buying a new product from a new company anyway.
The Magnum Research Micro looks good but hard to find and $150 more than the LCP.
I've got it narrowed down to the LCP or the TCP and I'm leaning towards the Taurus - it has a stainless slide, slide locks back on the last shot, comes with two mags, comes with a belt case (doesn't mean much to me since I'll be pocket carrying) and is $20+ cheaper. I have also heard from people that have shot both that it has a smoother trigger. But your mileage may vary.

+1 on the diamondback. Looks great, watched youtube video, but still leery about new product.

Thanks everyone for you info, lets keep this thread alive for informative purposes. The Ruger or the NAA Guardian seems to be the best right now (price-wise) for me at least.

I'm kinda leaning towards the PM9 or MK9 at the moment, ammo is ALOT more available for it AND I would be sticking with Kahr Arms that way. I intend to do some size comparisons here soon as i get the chance. Until then...

Check the classifieds section for my CW9. Includes upgraded stainless steel guide rod and extra stainless magazine. (It came with one, bought another online from Kahr website) Only fired one magazine through it to function test it at the range. (works perfectly with the winchester SXTs it was loaded with)

The Kahr CW9 ALMOST works, size wise but still not quite

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
I handled both an LCP and a TCP yesterday. The counterdude was pushing the TCP of the two, saying it was more comfortable to hold and shoot. I think this is strictly personal, and I preferred the LCP.

One thing in particular I disliked about the TCP, as well as the P3-A/T I've shot: If you short stroke the trigger, it has what appears to be a reset point. If you pull the trigger after it has "reset" but before you let it out all the way, it decocks the gun. This seems exceedingly dangerous in a CQC gun like this.

In contrast, the LCP requires that you let the trigger all the way out, like a DAO revolver. There's no reset point. Even if you short stroke it and pull it again, it doesn't decock the gun.

The lack of slide lock doesn't really bother me. If you shoot your pocket pistol dry you've probably got more concerns than having to rack the slide after reloading, assuming you even have a spare mag. Having to rack it because your fine motor skills went out the window and you short stroked your trigger would be a much bigger concern (to me).

I'm still not convinced I need one, though. I've got a Walther PPS, which is only a bit bigger. I probably wouldn't carry the LCP in my pants pocket, as I don't like carrying even that much bulk there. I can carry the PPS in my jacket pocket (in a Desantis "Super Fly" holster), and it's 9mm, which makes me more comfortable than .380 anyway.

All IMO, and YMMV, of course,

-- Sam

Cholo

Staff member
Aqualung, I have mixed feelings on the .32 NAA. I wanted something flat and tiny to always have with me. Seecamp's were just too hard to find. I read the goat killing stories and how the .32ACP performed well, something in the 60+ % IIRC. There are 2 downsides though:

1) The space between the trigger and front of the trigger guard is quite tight on mine. It's noticable, but not a hinderence for me. If somebody has really fat fingers it would be a problem.

2) NAA advertises a 10# trigger pull :roll: I gave my oldest daughter my favorite .38 and it got stolen. I offered her that .32 and she can't pull the trigger. I don't have a pull gauge that goes past 8#'s, but I'd guess it closer to 12#'s, actually similar to my NAA .380. The heavy trigger pull doesn't bother me. Maybe the new ones do have 10# trigger pulls as advertised.

In the pic I posted above the space in front of the trigger looks about equal, in reality a very small amount makes a lot of difference.

It's small and of excellent quality. What's not to like? The caliber. I'll take an LCP or Kahr any day, even if bigger. If I was to sell any of my guns, it would be the .32 NAA. Not for sale though...yet :wink:

Aqualung

Blackhawk
Cholo":2wywg3ac said:
Aqualung, I have mixed feelings on the .32 NAA. I wanted something flat and tiny to always have with me. Seecamp's were just too hard to find. I read the goat killing stories and how the .32ACP performed well, something in the 60+ % IIRC. There are 2 downsides though:

1) The space between the trigger and front of the trigger guard is quite tight on mine. It's noticable, but not a hinderence for me. If somebody has really fat fingers it would be a problem.

2) NAA advertises a 10# trigger pull :roll: I gave my oldest daughter my favorite .38 and it got stolen. I offered her that .32 and she can't pull the trigger. I don't have a pull gauge that goes past 8#'s, but I'd guess it closer to 12#'s, actually similar to my NAA .380. The heavy trigger pull doesn't bother me. Maybe the new ones do have 10# trigger pulls as advertised.

In the pic I posted above the space in front of the trigger looks about equal, in reality a very small amount makes a lot of difference.

It's small and of excellent quality. What's not to like? The caliber. I'll take an LCP or Kahr any day, even if bigger. If I was to sell any of my guns, it would be the .32 NAA. Not for sale though...yet :wink:

1) Yep...I think I held one once (and will if I seriously go looking) and I'm pretty sure my fat fingers fit in without squeezing...

2)That is a downside to my NAA Guardian. The trigger is very heavy and not really pleasant. I'd expect the .32 to be similar.

Thanks for the response.

Aqualung

halfmoonclip

Bearcat
I owned an NAA .32, and a buddy owns a .380. They are nicely made but heavy as hell. If you want to pocket carry, forget it. They bang around and make themselves a nuisance.
Conversely, the LCP (and the P3AT) are okay on the pocket carry aspect due to light weight and slimness.
NAA is a great outfit with wonderful customer service, but I don't own one any more just due to the weight.
And, as a previous poster noted, the blowback nature of the .380 makes 'em unpleasnt to shoot. I don't even like shooting .380 PPKs.
The locked breech on the Ruger makes a huge difference.
Moon

Latest posts