Mouse guns... better option than nothing at all...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Think I missed the memo on this... The LCP uses a locked breech (tilting barrel)?? Wow, I bet that does wonders for saving the frame from recoil stress. Not to mention your hands. Anything else I missed? Is there a wallet type holster so it doesn't print: "look I'm a gun!" lol

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
I have a Desantis "Super Fly", a step up from the Nemesis, for my PPS. It's a good holster, with a removable external flap that hides any "gun" outline.

-- Sam

Dueeast

Bearcat
NJ (where the govt. knows whats best for you)
I have a NAA guardian 380 that I bought new. It is accurate and 100% reliable. I have a friend who's a police range instructor and I "qualified" with it under the same cond as the local police. Also, I've owned a .32 Seecamp, and I feel the Naa is a better built gun. Keep it clean, properly lubed and don't limp wrist, and it's reliable enough to bet my life on. I carry it in a small IWB holster that dissapears and has all day comfort. Maybe a little heavy to pocket carry, but the weight absorbs some recoil. As for trigger pull, it is very consistant and comparable to a DAO revolver. (All my CC guns are DAO). Mine handles any ammo but PMC (dirty) and I CC with Hornaday Critical Defense. I cant say enough good things about mine. 8)

twobisquit

Single-Sixer
My LCP digests everything I feed it including a lot of lead reloads.I carry in a Hunter wallet in the back pocket and it's hard to describe how easy it carries. I cannot say enough about how much I like this little pistol.

rugerbenchmade.jpg

bub

Single-Sixer
I think it's safe to say that you should write the AMT off your list. I had one of the early single action ones and can safely say that it was a big, steaming heap! It required a punch and hammer to strip for cleaning, even with the SA trigger it was still probably 9-10 lbs pull and it wasn't reliable for anything, even with FMJ ammo. I was lucky to be able to get 3 shots off in a row with it before it failed to feed. I have read that the DAO ones weren't much better. Certainly not something to stake your life on! Not to mention, AMT went out of business several years ago. While I don't know for sure, parts are liable to be scarce and expensive, if they are available at all, should you break something.

Bub

Arcadia Machine and Tool (AMT)... i believe is correct...

That company has been gone for a while, but I didn't stop to consider the fact that I couldn't find parts for it in the event that anything went south with the pistol itself. That said I will probably avoid it considering I'm needing a supported (modern) and parts available/replaceable decent handgun.

So far I've got my list to:

Ruger LCP
NAA Guardian 380
Kahr MK9
Kahr PM9

Don't even care to look at the 32 right now (.380 is hard enough to find)

The Taurus seems relatively large compared to the ones I've mentioned... and I cant seem to find any in stock anywere. I saw the Taurus also has a... 907? Single stack compact 9mm, but its damn near as big as my CW9... OUCH.

Well I have the CW9 on consignment at a local guy's shop (Granbury Pirates Den), thank you Mr. Fant

Waiting for funds to get a MK9, this isnt my final decision. May still go with a Ruger LCP, PM9 or NAA Gaurdian...

Heard S&W was going to be making a new pocket gun as well. Any info? I looked at their site and didn't see anything related...

If a laser, then why sights? can they be removed? I bet the parts are gonna be expensive/hard to replace when the diodes eventually give up the ghost. They all do, at least every laser I have has in the past. I recall certain Ruger P94s having built in lasers. It was a problem with those too...

Sassi

Bearcat
I have to ask this question. Why get a 380 ACP mouse gun as your primary carry gun that produces less than 200 Foot Pounds of Energy (FPE), when you can buy a small 9mm gun that is not much bigger, or heavier than most mouse guns that produces around 400 FPE? Mouse guns are hard to hold properly. The recoil when you shoot one feels more like you are shooting a much larger caliber gun. Granted mouse guns are light weight and small. That I suppose is their main advantage. Personally I am going to carry the most powerful gun that I can carry comfortably and discreetly.

Cholo

Staff member
Sassi, Cor-Bons and Buffalo Bore usually top out over 200 ft #'s in a most .380's. Nothing earthshaking though for sure. For me it's boiled down to this. I've always found myself thinking "For just a little more size I can get a 9mm, and a little more a 40 S&W, and for a little more in size I can get a..." I did consider a Rohrbaugh, but didn't like the price.

I have been re-thinking my carrying of a .380. I'll probably still be re-thinking it 2 years from now... :wink:

BTW: I like the flat semi autos because I only carry front pocket anymore. A little difference in size makes a lot of difference.

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
If they insist on pocket carry, a .380 is about all most people can manage. I have a Walther PPS 9mm, which is about the next step up, and it's too large for most people's front pants pocket. Works in a jacket pocket.

-- Sam

halfmoonclip

Bearcat
Cholo sez it all...follow the argument where it's going, and you end up with an 870 or an AR under your coat....

Pocket carry is the magic in the LCP and P3AT. It gives you what was long held to be the minimal defense caliber in a size that requires no wardrobe adjustments to conceal it.

Get the DeSantis 'Nemesis' on a kydex pocket holster from Alabama Holster Co. I prefer the 'bama, but it doesn't work in shallow pockets.
Moon

I'm limited as to what I can do choices are nice when they can be made. For about the same size gun, I can do a pm9 or MK9... Which I haven't totally ruled out yet. It would be outstanding to have full 9mm as an option. I too have considered a raurghba? Spelling? As my next purchase, HOWever, $$$$! :shock: they carry a premium. If there are other 9s that small, I'm sure my family here will let me know.