mounting a scope

Help Support Ruger Forum:

cbzdel

Bearcat
I was once told that when I mount a scope base down to put some grease under it to help prevent rust.

Can anyone put some truth to this? I dont want to cause more harm that good.

I have a little marine grade grease (waterproof kind) should I smear it to the top of the receiver and bottom side of the scope base?

I know to keep the screw holes cleaned if I was to go this route.

I plan on mounting (3) scopes tomorrow, (2) stainless 10/22 (I know it wont rust but never hurts to protect it) then a blued 30.06 (actually a Rem. 700)

I am most concerned about the Rem 700 because the bluing is not the best to begin with, or so I read.

BlackEagle

Blackhawk
I was taught that you clean the grease off of them. Even brand new high quality bases and rings will have a bit of dried grease on them. I think they should be completely clean (no grease or anything else.) To do this wipe the mating surface with degreaser and a clean q-tip. The normal cleaning and maintenance of the rifle should prevent rust from developing.

contender

Ruger Guru
Actually, adding a thin film of grease/oil to the top of a firearm before mounting a scope base is a good idea. All too often,, the bases aren't "square" with the reciever,, and when tightened down,, cause a rub spot. Having a little protection against rust is a good idea.

Pinecone

Blackhawk
jfmcco is on the "right" track! Keep the base and the surface under it "free" of grease or oil. The "last" thing you wan't in your scope mounting is anything that could cause slippage or looseness. Grease and oil cause mating surfaces to move against each other "friction" free! This practice came about with surplus military rifles and the old "steel" base mounts. When moisture got between the two there was "chemical action" (rusting) that could and did take place, a lot of it because of the rust that was already "present" on the old rifles. With the newer alloy mounts and the space age "coatings" on these mounts there is no need for grease or oil to retard rusting!..............................Dick :wink:

cbzdel

Bearcat
jfmcco":7u2p89ph said:
The normal cleaning and maintenance of the rifle should prevent rust from developing.

Does this mean remove the scope base for cleaning? I has hoping I could do a set it and forget it. The 30.06 will be my hunting rifle and I plan on going out in who knows what weather with it. I wish I could of afforded the stainless model but it was another $200+ and to me it was not worth it because I am a new hunter and I dont know how much use the 30.06 will get.

I understand both sides of the argument though.

:?: :?:

BlackEagle

Blackhawk
cbzdel":1hyd8zde said:
jfmcco":1hyd8zde said:
The normal cleaning and maintenance of the rifle should prevent rust from developing.

Does this mean remove the scope base for cleaning? I has hoping I could do a set it and forget it. The 30.06 will be my hunting rifle and I plan on going out in who knows what weather with it. I wish I could of afforded the stainless model but it was another $200+ and to me it was not worth it because I am a new hunter and I dont know how much use the 30.06 will get.

I understand both sides of the argument though.

:?: :?:

No. The base should fit tight, and not allow any moisture to get in. It should stay once its attached. I really think If you're using the rifle for hunting then you shouldn't be too worried about the marks a base might leave. The rifle will just have a little more character.

keen one

Bearcat
Much ado about nothing.

None of us are ever going to be able to make two distinct surfaces not specifically machined for a 0 cleareance mate to keep the penetrating oil and lubricants from entering between the base and the reciever. Oil, no oil, grease, no grease, whatever, eventually it will have lubricant there and should not cause a problem.

Personally I chemically degrease the screw holes, Red Locktight holes, wipe the base with Brownells Action Lube, and torque to spec.