Most popular areas to buy a home in the US

Help Support Ruger Forum:

This year we invested in real estate more than in the past. I was just reading the news and came across an article in Travel and Leisure Magazine. They had a story about the most popular areas to buy a home or second home as an investment. They like the South and like Florida a lot.

Here is a quote from the magazine:
According to a newly released report by real estate brokerage company Redfin, the Sunshine State is home to an overwhelming majority of the "hottest neighborhoods in 2022." Chatham, Massachusetts and North Carolina's Lake Lure are also on the list.

Also from what I’m reading, real estate will slow down, but not a whole lot, in 2022.

Here is the link to the article…I hope it works, I’m on my phone right now.
https://www.travelandleisure.com/travel-tips/most-popular-us-neighborhoods-to-buy-a-home

We own a home not too far from Chatham on Cape Cod. The home prices have gone up tremendously over the last year or so. Many of the 'summer' homes are now being turned into year around.

mr surveyor

Blackhawk
I'll add a warning .... don't consider relocating to North East Texas ... bad choice ... shouldn't even give it a thought.....

jd ;)

contender

Ruger Guru
Oh great,, MORE advertising my area. All we need is more tourist types moving in & changing things. Well, I guess I'll just have to shoot more to warn them of the neighborhood! :D

Contender: Yep, I saw that and thought of what you’ve said here about the people moving in from out of town building houses close to the lake and causing traffic jams. I can see why that part of the country is so popular.

You know, you don’t need to shoot more, just get some bigger guns. How about a cannon shoot some weekend?

Colonialgirl

Hawkeye
You should see the way they are FLOODING the area around Zephyrhills, FL with home and apartment building; This now rated as the most populated area of Pasco County and all the Northern snowbirds are flocking here. Housing prices are going up along with property values . My mortgage company just offered me a chance to take out a $65K equity loan.

If I ever get elected I'm going to get a law passed that if you want to move to S.C. from another state you will not have Air Conditioning for 3 years.

My gun club has two large subdivision just south of it... below is a picture of the area... the large cleared area at the club "upper left" is the skeet field and the smaller long rectangular area below it is the rifle range. Some brilliant developers have bought the land just on the other side of the rifle range and are going to put in a couple hundred homes.

Johnnu2

Buckeye
Hey Blume; once they put up the new houses, the residents will start complaining about the gunfire and start a petition to close you down. We've been fighting such antics for decades. As the liberals keep creeping north outta the City, we've lost two 'in-town' ranges over the past 20 years. It's scary stuff.

p.s. Fortunately, everyone is leaving NY State.... we may just stick it out and eventually bring my guns to a relative in NC (no, not you Contender :)

MERRY CHRISTMAS ALL,
J.

contender

Ruger Guru
"p.s. Fortunately, everyone is leaving NY State.... we may just stick it out and eventually bring my guns to a relative in NC (no, not you Contender"

Aawww heck. You can bring me all the guns you want to dispose of. And we don't mind gun totin, bible reading, good types here. It's those dern tourist types that often say; "Well we did it that way back in ,,,,,,! that I take offense to.

And as for gun ranges, developers etc. As noted,, they develop,, THEN complain. Legal fees can bankrupt a club or range. I keep saying that around here,, they won't be happy until they develop every square inch of property,, no matter how bad it'll look or the problems it'll bring.

Luckily,, for me anyway,, most of my adjoining property to my range isn't exactly the developing type. Across the main highway,, a logger lay down yard & mulch area. Across the road,, a new storage building,, and a shed for motor coaches. Backside,, in a family,, with enough acreage (about 175 acres) to prevent developing, with NO plans of ever selling or dividing. In fact, they bought land to prevent that. Another neighbor,, has heavy equipment & such,, and bought to prevent folks from bothering him, and he has a dirt bike track on his place for his son.

Lastly,, an adjoining piece,, which we used to own,, has it in their deed,, that they acknowledge & accept the fact that there is an active gun range beside them. Recorded deed,, to add another layer of protection. Hard to fight a legal battle against that.

The Lake Lure area is a beautiful place. Yet,, with all the building & such,, the natural beauty is being deteriorated. Even the Town of Lake Lure installed a BIG floating boat dock system,, ALL just to rent boat slips (MONEY FOR THEM,) right in the bay area around our town beach. One place where tourists would stop to take pictures of the scene. Ruined the view of the mountains/lake.
And if they had wanted to,, there was an EASY alternative to putting it there.
Yet,, they chose to place it out in full view of everything.
Well, maybe some folks who MIGHT have considered coming here will change their minds when they see how things are.

think about it carefully look at all the "stuff" going on in various areas , south , from New Yorrk , out to Wyoming?? Kalifornya , out to Denver and in between,screwing things ALL UP,,,,the "residents" will be sorry, someday and someday has come to many of those places. we'll stay right here near the Great Lakes, and save our water!!! they want to pipe water down to the southwest,,,,SCREW EM!!! dig a well, and DEEP

Mike J

Hunter
Thank God the article doesn't mention Metro Atlanta. We have already been overrun.

My gun club is grandfathered in it can't be closed down because of the noise.... there is some kind of state law that covers this... but the issue I think is if a stray round hits someone that is a whole different ball game. The club put up a fence a number of years back to keep folks from wandering in.... seems some guys were at the rifle range one afternoon and all of a sudden they noted a kid sticking his head up from behind the 100 yard berm... then his parents popped up.... I think now they are planning to put an even bigger fence up.... also are putting all kinds of over head stuff out in front of both the pistol and rifle ranges so if you shoot high the round will hit this instead of going down range over the berms and through the woods.

traffic here in Greenville is not just terrible.... lady got killed a few months ago walking her dog... dog died too. Lot of new folks want the road this happened on fixed ..... I posted on the neighbor hood social thingy the problem was not the road.... the problem is when our leaders think packing as many people into an area as possible is a good thing.... I think the average of new folks moving here is just over 50 a day. Simple fact of nature... if you pack too many critters into to small a space bad things happen.... sickness ..... or they start eating each other.... people are just another critter and not nearly as high a life form as we try to pretend.

Johnnu2

Buckeye
Funny/sad story.... I think the town was Ardsley, NY.... not too far north of Manhattan. The gun range was indoor and outdoor if I heard the story correctly. It had been there for a bazzillion years. Anyway, the gist was a lady decided that 20 years of complaining about a gun range in the neighborhood was enough. In the midst of the annual onslaught of complaints to the political "leaders", this lady went to the local POLICE DEPT. and displayed a bullet that she said she found lodged in the outside wall of her home. I believe that the police only threatened to arrest her for a 'false report'; it appears that the 'bullet' she brought as evidence was an UNFIRED rifle cartridge of some type. The gun haters will try anything; unfortunately, they are having their way after enough years pass and enough liberals are born....
Sadly,
J.

Wife and I were on a Rhodes Scholar tour a few years back in Yellowstone and our group was looking over the army barracks from the 1800's and our guide mentioned the bullet 'hole' in one of the buildings... the group freaked out and insisted he show them.... looked like a 30 cal. round had hit the wall and knocked out a nice chuck... I thought I had a picture of it... but can't find it now. I was interesting to see what excites folks.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
blume357 said:
My gun club is grandfathered in it can't be closed down because of the noise.... there is some kind of state law that covers this... but the issue I think is if a stray round hits someone that is a whole different ball game.

Hi,

Gotta be careful of the "gotchas" in some of these deals. We lost one of our oldest local ranges a few years ago to one.

The range was built right after WW11 (1946 maybe?) in the middle of nowhere. The club leased the land from BLM and had a good relationship with them to the end. As houses encroached, noise was a consideration and testing to EPA standards was successful. Amendments were made to the CCRs of all the properties possible affected before any were offered for sale. In simple terms, they said "You are buying property close to an active shooting range. They make noise. Their noise levels meet all legal standards, so don't buy thinking of litigation." That worked for many years. A couple of people tried to sue on the noise issue anyway, and learned how big and immovable the US gubb'mint can be.

But we're not out of the woods yet. Some guy bought a parcel adjoining the BLM land to put up a strip mall. He found there was lead in the soil: shotgun pellets from one of the skeet ranges that had probably been there for decades before the safety berms had been raised. He went to work exhausting the resources of the gun club in court: he sued the club as a legal person--it was incorporated--and each of the officers as an individual, among other things.

We lost the range when a judge agreed the lead was the club's responsibility, over their defense the lead was there long before he bought the property and due diligence wasn't done before he bought it.

But if you believe in karma, mark this one in your notes: the guy who sued dropped dead of a heart attack a short while after the judge ruled on part of the complaint, and the action was dropped. Sadly the club couldn't recover. FWIW, the affected parcel is still sitting there growing weeds, with a few pellets here and there, just as it has for decades.

Rick C

dannyd

Single-Sixer
We have a great many people moving to Florida houses going up everywhere, but we are also seeing a lot of houses purchased as rental property.

Latest posts