Most Beautiful Place...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

KIR

Single-Sixer
Where is the most beautiful place in the world you have visited, or possibly lived...?

As for me, I am not a world traveler, but one Thanksgiving weekend, while visiting my in-laws (father in-law was the head greenskeeper at the 18 hole golf course and retired because they wanted it doubled), I wandered out into the desert and the most beautiful sky was like diamonds on black velvet. Absolutely no man made lights around. Where was this? Death Valley, CA

Mobuck

Hawkeye
Lots of places I've been were nice to look at but I wouldn't want to live there. Lots of places I'd like to see but wouldn't want to live there.
Right now, today, at this very moment? I can't think of anywhere more satisfying than standing in a shirt pocket tall field of soybeans knowing they are what they are by my own hands and effort.

There are a few places in Bulgaria. My wife had an uncle who lived in a farm house in a tiny village way out in the back of beyond. The house was old school thick walled cement with an outdoor kitchen on the patio. Perfect for a sip of brandy on a hot summer night. Or the roosters in the morning. Every little house in the village had a rooster, they get loud!

Sadly the uncle died and the house got sold.

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
I've had the privilege of travelling over much of this great country and I fine it pretty hard to pick one. The drive from Lexington, KY to Knoxville, TN as one passes near Renfro Valley is a beautiful study in green and certainly one of the most beautiful places east of the Mississippi. Or nearly any place along Skyline Drive in Virginia. This whole area is one that has two phases, the summer greenery and fall foliage.

West of the Mississippi there's The Grand Tetons, nearly all of Yellowstone, especially the upper falls of the Yellowstone River. And the Four Corners area for desert beauty. And in the fall the yellow of the creosote bush and cottonwood and aspen trees. And the Garden of the Gods in Utah.

And among my favorite places to go, Reelfoot Lake in west Tennessee has a beauty all of its own.

Indoors, it has to be at my church when the junior choir is singing.

And, sitting on the bank of the Mississippi River as the sun goes down.

Bob Wright

Biggfoot44

Blackhawk
Since so far has this has varied from one exact patio to an entire region , I'll set my parameters as :

Where has the greatest variety of senic terrians all in close proximity ?

Northeastern corner of Oregon .

( Obvious downside to live there , it's in Oregon , where the insane Woke voters in Willamette Valley have control of the state government .)

I have another runner up , but have to run out the door , will add in cpl hours .

jimbo1096

Buckeye

Armybrat

Buckeye
As a young kid I lived for almost 4 years (1950-54) within the walls of El Morro fortress in Old San Juan, Puerto Rico. It was occupied at the time by the US Army Antilles Headquarters - then named Fort Brooke. Fort Brooke was closed in the 1960s and all the non-Spanish colonial buildings were demolished to make it into a national park.
Our Army quarters - a group of nice 2 story concrete duplexes - had gorgeous tropical sunset views from across San Juan Bay - looking past the Flamboyant & coconuts trees in the back yard.
8988B277 29F0 4DAB ABC2 E179CFCC0B3B

Jeepnik

Hawkeye
There's a place in the local mountains. It's a small spring fed canyon. Really more of a gully. It's well hidden by overgrowth. It's really not that far of the beaten track if you have a good 4WD, but I have never seen any evidence of other folks ever being there. Well shaded it remains comfortable even on the warmest days. Critters live there, including a family of bobcats. The stream has small brookies. The sun makes rays through the trees when the weather is right. At night the stars and moon play hide and seek with those same leaves

This is a place I go when I need to get away from the world.

My job took me to several nice places in the world. In a 9 month period I saw the Pyramids of Giza, The Colosseum of Rome, and the Great Wall of China, the Ming Tombs. The Forbidden City in Beijing, The Summer Place for the Emperor of China. along with the Night Sky of The Western Desert of Egypt in the Sahara, I also traveled over the God forsaken Land that the Battle of El Alamein took place on and walked among the graves of those that didn't come home. I saw the sights of London England, and watched the topless on Brighton Beach, drank the beer of Frankfort Germany, marveled at the Swiss Alps. and traveled by dugout canoe in Southern Nigeria, swam with the Australians while on the Island of Bali.

We have traveled and stayed in many beautiful places in the Continental U.S., AK. and HI. along with the Islands of the Caribbean, the Rockies of the West, the Appalachians of the East. WE have driven the length of California Pacific Coast, and traveled the Pacific Northwest. we have seen the beauty of the Western Deserts of AZ., CA, UT. We have been mesmerized by the grandeur of the mountains of ID. WY, WA. and MT.
WE lived in a small village North of Montreal Canada which allowed us to travel the New England States then thru Maine to Quebec City Canada
WE have also caught Trout in some of the most fantastic places that a fish could live.

But I have ALWAYS SAID show me the best you got and then I will show you Yellowstone Park. I think it is the most beautiful place on Earth. It has it all from mountains, plains, wildlife, historic buildings, lakes, streams, water falls to geysers.
If it wasn't no respectful Trout would live there:)

And Yes as some have stated to them their backyard is the most beautiful place on Earth. Welllllllllllll mine might just be the second place.

Last edited:

gunzo

Buckeye
Appreciate this analogy Jim. Admire/envious of your travels.
Yellowstone is a special place & in my limited travels I'm glad to have seen it. Having been to Florida many many times, my first trip as an adult all the way to the Keys lit my fire, anything in the Bahamas that I'd seen paled in comparison. When I decided to let my passport expire.

We all have so much right here in our own backyard to see.

Johnnu2

Buckeye
Back in the 1970's in Deposit, NY.....

Back in the 1980's somewhere in Colo. Elk territory.....

High up in the San Juans, I would sleep outside the tent so I could see nothing but the dark sky and millions of stars before I drifted off.... my partners feared a bear or lion would eat me during the night, but I used to bait the TENT...

J.