Most accurate 9mms, .40s and .45s?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

FED327

Bearcat
Good question..Most accurate 9mm I've ever owned was a Sig P210...It was so accurate it was scary! It came with a test target dated 1988, 8 shots, 50 meters, 1 1/2" group..I never shot it past 25 yards, and could do 8 shots, 1/2" group. It was like shooting a scoped rifle...

Never really found an accurate 40 cal pistol..for me, shooting a 40 did not produce groups, just patterns!

Most accurate .45 was a garden variety Colt Government model, nickel '70 series, and again, it would do 1/2" groups, 5 shots, at 25 yards...

All of the above shooting was with eyes that were about 15 years younger! LOL

Barry in IN

Bearcat
revhigh":zvxe8es0 said:
Barry in IN":zvxe8es0 said:
And once people get an idea in their head about a gun (or a caliber, or technique, etc), that's that. Nothing will change their way of thinking.

How about direct experience with TWO P-series guns ... neither of which was a P85 ?? Would that do it for you ??

Me??? I don't need convinced. It's the people who have that idea in their heads. That, and such myths as believing .45s will throw people across a room with a periperal hit, short barreled rifles can't be accurate, open choked shotguns don't need to be aligned on target, and no gun can be dry fired without the firing pin rattling down the barrel.

Myths die hard. One of them is "inaccurate Ruger autos". I've heard it a lot...usually from people who have never even seen one being shot.

tkarter

Single-Sixer
I will add it takes a bit to get accurate with the Ruger Autos. The triggers are tougher than most. Once one shoots it enough the old saying of don't mess with the guy with only one gun comes to mind.

However. I shot a better group with my P89 the day I bought it than I did the Glock or Sig that I also had up for offer.

When the guy that sold me my P89 looked at my 5 shot group at the size of a quarter and my other targets with each he said. " I have never seen that gun nor could I shoot like that with it. I am going to knock 20 bucks off the price of to for you as that gun is you."

We can all talk on the Internet.

tk

usmcgunny0369

Bearcat
I think that a lot of accuracy comes from how a particular model feels to the shooter. Of course the basics of marksmanship come into play. A shooter with good core skills and a basic gun will always outshoot a shooter with poor marksmanship skills and a high dollar "Tack Driver". But, a shooter will always tend to shoot better groups with a weapon that feels right or comfortable to that shooter. I fired a lot of M1911A1's and Beretta M-9's during my 24 year military career. I used to be a dyed in the wool M1911 man. I still do like them and own one. But I think the best shooting guns I've ever owned (to me anyway) are my S&W Model-15 and my P90. I just like the way they feel in my hand. Plus, concealed carry isn't a factor here in the Peoples Republik of Illinois anyway.

tkarter

Single-Sixer
The rest of us are trying to help you in Illinois into concealed carry. God knows you all need it.

The rest of your post was right on.

IMHO

That is why Rev and I need to do breakfast and some range time.

tk

cledro711

Bearcat
idk about all your sigs and p95s and whatnot, but I would put my gp100 up against anything in ccw, it can hit a 9in plate at 100m open sights. for a gun that i ccw thats pretty damn good for me.

revhigh

Hawkeye
GP's are really great, but they're not made in 9MM, .40. or .45, as the post is discussing ! LOL :D

REV