Mosin Nagants: from Viking Hall of Manliness

Help Support Ruger Forum:

JaTiMatic

Bearcat
Is those Mosin`s cheap in usa? In here prices are rising whole time.
I got only few mosins; M/91, M/28, M28-30,M/39 and M/91-30 ryssä.

JaTiMatic

Bearcat
M91-30 are cheap in here too and others ryssä mosin`s too but Finnish ones are more expensive. Most expensive mosin for me was M/39 Ukko-pekka 200e and M/28 was cheapest, 50e.

M/91-24 "Lotta" is my next goal, i check few but those was pretty lousy condition.

M/39 and M/28-30 are most wanted, becouse we use those in traditional rifle competitions. Only M/39 Ukko-pekka and M/28-30 Pystykorva have good sights.

JaTiMatic

Bearcat
CDFingers":1np22gry said:
It is through collecting Finnish MN's that I learned about Finland's fight for independence. Well done, is all I can say. I have a small library of "Winter War" and "Continuation War" (as we call them here; what do you call them?) books. I'm also looking for a "Lotta", but I do not hold out hope, unless I sell my house. :)

CDFingers

Talvisota = Winterwar
Jatkosota = Continuation war

Nice to hear that you have so much interest about Finland. By the way, you can`t collect Finnish rifles if you don`t have Sauna, just kidding :wink:

Lotta rifles are pretty expensive here too, 400e-650e.

Talvisota-Winterwar.jpg

Snake45

Hawkeye
In the aviation community, there's an old saying when trying to identify photos of old airplanes:

If it's ugly, it's British.

If it's weird, it's French.

If it's ugly and weird, it's Russian.

I think that this might apply to firearms as well. :wink:

JaTiMatic

Bearcat
CDFingers":33406zlu said:
Golly, it's stepped, but it's stepped in reverse! That's a puzzler. The front site protector is different from the m39's I have, as is the barrel.

I'll research more, but I may not find it. I thought of a 1942 m91rv Cavalry rifle, not carbine, but I've never seen under the stock of one. WAG.

CDFingers

Answer is much easier than you think :wink:

JaTiMatic

Bearcat
CDFingers":10mockvf said:
Due to the shadow, I might have guessed a M28/76, but the front site is not what I expect. So, what is it? :)

CDFingers

It is M/27 .22lr when barrel/action is on stock, it looks just like M27.

JaTiMatic

Bearcat
Yes, good marksmanship is very important lots of people in here.
I`m member a local shooting club, in every winter we have here pystykorva course. We practicing for summer competitions, usually we shoot to 300m. We use local Army shooting range. Finnish Army have every year "assaultrifle competition" for us, you just go in range and they give you RK-62 and ammo.

Those blank barrels are almost gone :) , if barrel doesn`t have chamber you dont need any permit. Action are like any metal tool, you don`t need permit.
You can`t buy barrel(with chamber) and pressureparts like mosin bolthead or modern bolt without permit, everything else "free to buy" parts.

Sorry my english, ask if you don`t understand and i try do better job.

JaTiMatic

Bearcat
CDFingers":3p5megjt said:
Here in the states we believe that the markings just behind the front sight, 7.5 for example, indicate the height of the front sight to prevent the soldier from filing down the front sight. Is this belief a fiction?

CDFingers

Yes, same story you can read from finnish books.

hutchman

Blackhawk
Just bought my first one of these. It's a 91/30 that is a former sniper rifle. We took it apart today and found all the internal action parts appear near new with matching armory markings. The bore was black, but cleaned up to reveal a near new barrel with excellent rifling. The stock is period correct and is in excellent condition.

After cleaning and reassembly, we'll see how it shoots.

stantheman86

Buckeye
Refurb 91/30's are one of the best deals out there for a surplus military rifle. 7.62x54r is still in use all over the world and so surplus ammo should be around for a while. The rifles are tough, and they just plain work. They may not be match grade accurate but who cares, they're Infantry rifles that were produced by the millions, to arm Soviet troops. If you can hit a man-sized silhouette target at 300 yards from a kneeling position with a 91/30 and surplus ammo, you're doing pretty darn good.

They are the last of the true "surplus rifles, everything else is "collectible" now. Older shooters tell me they used to go to the hardware store and pick greasy 1903 Springfields and Krags out of barrels for $3 a piece, and use them as truck guns and beat-around rifles.

There are SO many Mosins already in the US that importers have stopped bringing them in for a while. A new batch of 91/30's seems to have come in, the last 4 or 5 gun shows I've been to have had tables full of $90 91/30's, I haven't seen that since 2003.

I have quite a few of the Finnish Mosins, they are some of the best out there. The triggers are better, and the Finn made barrels are better. M39's are great rifles, I got 3 of 'em and even the one with a worn bore that I have, that I use as my "shooter" drives tacks with 180 gr. ammo.

I even had a 91/59 with a bore that had been shot smooth and it would still tumble bullets into a 12" group at 100 yards.

stantheman86

Buckeye
I care little about the "collectible" Mosins and I don't much like the carbines. A "common" 1943 Izhevsk 91/30 that hasn't been refurbed and was likely used by Soviet soldiers to fight the German army has a whole bunch of history, rather than the more rare rifles that probably never left storage in an arsenal.

I do look for the non-refurb 91/30's and found a few over the years. I like them to look like they just went through a war :p

PAULIUS

Bearcat
If you want a good MN, look for pre WW2 production, better with hex receiver. War time guns where made at the factories by kids under horrible conditions using a worn machinery and poor steel. It was accounted that the life expectancy of a riffle on the battlefield is not more that 300 rounds.
Buying the gun, check the muzzle entrance with a bullet, if the bullet sinks down less than a 1/4" to the cartridge, the barrel is dead, owercleaned by the rod. You can drill half of inch, but it will cost some money, probably more, than riffle itself worth.
The best shutters are Finnish MN's, have one build on 1903 receiver. Other is Izhevsk, 1921, still of the imperial quality. K44 is Hungarian, better than russian, but Polish production is the best.
As for "sniper" version, beware a numerous fakes flooded the market, nothing is simpler to weld a bended bolt grip and quadruple the price of gun.
Any way, most of the Mosins, coming from Russia are mercilessly refurbished at arsenals and all the parts are mixed.