Mosin Nagant 91/38 completed restoration

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ltapd204

Single-Sixer
Looks like a fun project. I have owned an M44 and a laminated M38. Sold both. Wish I had kept both of them as they both shot very well for surplus weapons. When I bought my first one I learned there were many variations of the Mosin Nagants.

Your project makes me think I need another Mosin.

Thanks for sharing.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
They've doubled in price for average examples already, and are going up fast for desired collectibles.

Affordable history you can hold in your own two hands!

DGW1949

Hunter
Hello CDF,

That was an excellent write up on an interesting project.
Nice photos, nice rifle, and a bit of history thrown in too.
About all I can think of to say is....Wow.

Thanks for taking the time to share it all with us.

DGW

gunslinger9729

Bearcat
I have a Mosin in original condition. It was made in 1938 and when I got it, I found that by looking through all the rifles my local shop I was able to get one with very good rifling, all the brass around the slots for the sling was intact, its fit was tight, and it shoots like a dream. I was told it is one that was made in Goriga. I dont know if it was used in the war but I think it was because it has nicks and little dings in the stock. It shoots to point of aim out to about 150 yards, I havent been able shoot it farther yet. I hope to get another one soon, maybe one with a scope.

gunslinger9729

Bearcat
Thanks for the info on the scope, I will look into one. Mine is a long rifle, it has the full stock with the cleaning rod in it. I also got the bayonet with it. It is the most wicked bayonet I have ever seen. Its not like the ones here that look like a knife but looks more like a screwdriver that is about 10 inches long.

gunslinger9729

Bearcat
I just got real lucky. My local gunshop just put these rifles on sale again and I just got another long rifle the M91/30 for $89. I just need to take it apart and clean off the storage grease then I will have two to shoot and have fun with.

gunslinger9729

Bearcat
Oh and this one comes with the acceseries pack that is the bayonet, the sling, the oil can, stripper clips, and pouches. This is even a better deal than my first one.

gunslinger9729

Bearcat
I know I have the disease because before I bought my second rifle I bought the maching revolver so I would have a compleat set. My rifles are the same as his but in much better shape.

gunslinger9729

Bearcat
I dont know what the Nagant revolver you are talking about looks like. Mine is the 1895 model Nagant that shoots a 7.62 by I think 38 round that totally encloses the bullet. The revolver is a 7 shot and the cylinder slides forward as you cock it thus putting the brass into the forcing cone and keeping the gsaes from escaping between the cylinder anf barrel.

gunslinger9729

Bearcat
Oh ok I thought so but I wasnt sure. I really love the way this revolver shoots and I havent even used the right round yet. It will also shoot the 32 s@w long cartridge so that is what I have been using and it is about the easyest gun I own to shoot. It hits right where I aim without much recoil.

Pretty neat story and very nice old MosinNagant - I have several amateur projects that are like this one, get something dirt cheap and spend twice or more to fix it up, It isn't in the restoring for value, it's the project itself that is the true worth. It's just fun putting something together and making it work and look good. Just wish mine turned out as nice as yours did! Great job!