More the one way to handle a drone

Help Support Ruger Forum:

redhawker

Buckeye
Guy catches drone with epic cast...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbQi4yr8Ihc

...I love the youtube title though "Catch of the day? Fisherman accidentally hooks unmanned drone as it flies past his boat" Huh? Looks on purpose to me (great cast BTW) and I guess my definition of a pier is different from whomever posted the video (a boat??)

opos

Buckeye
In January of 83 we had purchased the tackle and bait business at the end of Crystal pier (the one in the video)...there was an enormous storm which took about 200 feet of the pier and the tackle business an dumped them in the ocean...we had made a deposit but since the owners could not deliver..we ended up getting the deposit back and he lost his whole business...they never added back the 200 feet of pier...there are neat little rental cottages at the inner end of the pier and the old Crystal pier hotel...a landmark in Pacific Beach near San Diego....The way things worked out the storm and loss of the tackle business was a blessing so I guess things happen for a reason.

stevemb

Hunter
In vid, never saw a drone. I hooked up to a seagull surf fishing Assateague back around '70.. But a drone, well back to what I always ask...need recipes !

GhosT

Blackhawk
Like the story last week where a drone was perving on a teenage girl, DAD shot it down..
Hoping he only gets a fine.....

dougader

Hunter
I caught a mallard duck - in flight - with a cast into the Columbia river for salmon one morning.

Jeepnik

Hawkeye
Hmm, an individual attacks someone else's property and likely damaged it. This is a good thing? Imagine how the fisherman, and I am one, would feel if the drone owner, and I am one, walked up and stepped on his rods then kicked his tackle box into the ocean.

Disrespect for other folks property is all too common today. Had I ever thought of anything like that dad would have made sure I never thought about it again. Frankly we need to bring back public corporal punishment as it seems like the only thing that teaches some folks.

dougader

Hunter
Ha! This was a 9 weight fly blank I had made into a spinning rod. Same idea, though.

Jeepnik said:
Hmm, an individual attacks someone else's property and likely damaged it. This is a good thing? Imagine how the fisherman, and I am one, would feel if the drone owner, and I am one, walked up and stepped on his rods then kicked his tackle box into the ocean.

Disrespect for other folks property is all too common today. Had I ever thought of anything like that dad would have made sure I never thought about it again. Frankly we need to bring back public corporal punishment as it seems like the only thing that teaches some folks.
I somewhat agree. OTOH people need to respect other people's privacy/ airspace. Common courtesy goes a long way. Want to fly your drone? Go to an empty football field and have at it. Keep your eyes to yourself. I do walk nekked on my property at times, just cause I can or too lazy to put on clothes.
gramps

stevemb

Hunter
Drone over my property equals peeping tom/trespassing. If the drone is valuable to the owner, keep on their own property.

contender

Ruger Guru
I fly a few different R/C aircraft. Some of which are called "drones" by the media hype. Some of mine do have cameras.
That said,,, there are already some laws in place that are there to protect the public and privacy. Enforcement is another thing.
Plus the FAA is also looking at more laws to add to the books to help do more to protect the public & privacy.

BUT,,,,,,,,,, just like responsible firearm ownership,,, it requires the owners of drones to be responsible in the operation of them.

Most hobbiest drones are not capable of flying near commercial aircraft like SOME of the claims that are being made. But yes,,, some of the high dollar custom built types can match the speeds & range that could cause them to be near commercial aircraft,,, for a brief time.
There is also a 400 ft altitude limit on hobby aircraft. An aircraft in a landing pattern is higher than that except when on final & actually landing.

I'm a guy who gets a kick out of flying a multi-rotor toy now because I can no longer fly real aircraft. I'm no longer in the military where I flew in helicopters, nor do I have a license anymore to fly fixed wing aircraft. But the thrill of flying a rotor wing type aircraft again is pure fun.
I currently own a few gyro type helo's, a flybarless Loach helo, an assortment of multi-rotor helo's from a micro to a 2' rotor span one.

I have never flown mine over other people, or over their private property. I own a place myself where I can fly mine. I also fly some of mine indoors, at home as it's great practice.
There are plenty of public places where you can go to fly these toys. Also, you can fly them in a small yard etc.
My point is that just like gun owners,,, a few are causing problems for the many who are responsible owners & who respect others.

stevemb

Hunter
Funny, I got a 10 1/2' noodle rod built into a 5wt flyrod for UL steelhead fishing ! What kinda flies do drones prefer ? Hook size ? Catch limit ? Wha..?

Latest posts