more 'leftovers'

Help Support Ruger Forum:

A year ago, I posted a similar topic after counting well over 100 deer wintering on our north farm. Almost every evening, I count 20-50 deer that are visible from my yard. Many times, deer will be out feeding in mid-day meaning they're hungry enough to be out in wide open fields at that time.
As I've said before, MDC has unilaterally determined that hunters can only harvest 2 does per county. I'm not sure where/how they get their data but obviously not from talking to farmers/landowners who are feeding this extreme deer population. It's like they WANT another deer plague of some sort to occur. CWD testing is being conducted yearly but no response is forthcoming.

contender

Ruger Guru
It's not just your state.
Many states have a stigma against seriously balancing the population numbers. Too many people are against the taking of too many does,, thinking they are reducing the (future) buck population. They worry that if too many does are killed,, not enough deer will be born to sustain things. I'm often amazed at how here in NC they "manage" things.
Different areas,, different times we can kill does. Yet, it's almost ALWAYS slanted in a manner to NOT allow enough of a harvesting of them. Example;
In NC we are allowed (6) whitetails. (2) must be antlered, (2) must be anterless, and (2) are Hunters Choice. On the surface,, that seems reasonable. HOWEVER,, depending upon the county,, there are different seasons that say you can only hunt anterless deer during specific days. In some parts of the state,, (1) day only. In other parts, (1) week only. Then there are the (2) week areas, and then there are the "open season" areas. OR,, if you hunt with archery,, either sex anytime. Muzzleloader,, in some areas,, either sex anytime,, and other areas,, specific days. General gun season is actually the most restrictive,, unless you live in certain parts of the state. In the far western part of the state, a (3) week deer season, with only (1) day as an either sex day. In the far eastern parts,, gun season is several weeks, and either sex allowed anytime.
The hardest part is it's by Counties. You can be standing in one County,, and be severely restricted,, & in another,, much more relaxed. Closed in one spot, step across the road & open season.

I know they look at things like "deer density & such,, but it can be a big headache.

I've heard stories of hunters in severely restricted areas,, killing a deer, and claiming it came from a different County. They justify it by saying; "I only get a few days off,, and I can't afford to travel east,, or pay the fees to hunt those areas. And I need the meat."

It's not easy to figure it all out,, ESPECIALLY when POLITICS is involved. And we all know that politics is heavily involved in every State venture, including Hunting regs.

Georgia goes by county for antlerless harvest as well on private property, the county I hunt allows doe harvest every day of the season regardless of method, archery, primitive and modern firearm. Some mountain counties have like 2 or 3 days.

All GA public land has specific regs and is too varied to list.

GA allows 12 deer, 2 bucks & 10 does with each big game license.

If drawn for a quota hunt, a deer killed on that hunt does not count on your non-quota tags, bonus deer.

The automobile insurance wants to keep the deer herd under control, if not reduced in GA.

In GA all game laws are subject to approval by the state legislature. The DNR proposes them, but the legislature has the final say on regulations.

Thank goodness I bought that lifetmes license while I resided in GA.

Since I purchased a lifetime license while living in Louisiana, I go back there to hunt some. 6 tags with a license, 3 antlered only, 2 antlerless only, 1 hunter's choice.

If you get a state biologist to survey your property and sign up for the management program, the state will give the property manager/owner a specific number of tags to use on antlerless deer. DMAP tagged deer do not count on your license tags.

My home state of FL allows 5 tags, 3 antlered & 2 antlerless. Archery and primitive firearms are doe days during the specific season on private lands. During modern gun season, doe days are restricted to 3 or 4 days.

Public land by specific area rules.

FL is one of the few states that allows the use of hounds to take deer on some of its public land.

"If you get a state biologist to survey your property and sign up for the management program, the state will give the property manager/owner a specific number of tags to use on antlerless deer."
MO is a bit different: Crop damage permits are issued during the growing season. As a favor for a friend, I took the job of filling 15 of those permits about 30 years ago and it didn't set well. The meat is wasted which goes against my conscience and upbringing--I simply won't do that again.
MDC is in the game for money. The agency has lost all consideration of landowners who feed the game MDC claims to manage. They have no processes for re-imbursement for wildlife damages to crops or livestock, no concern about the millions of dollars in damage due to deer/vehicle collisions, and are basically on a pedestal immune from citizens' complaints/claims.