More for seniors, who remembers............?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

That horseshoe looks more like a throwing shoe than from a Clydesdale. It has no nail holes.
Yep! But we called it Pitching Horseshoes. In my small town there would be a game every evening during the summer of the 50s
We still have a meat grinder and a flat iron among a few other old things.
My neighbor and I rigged up his meat grinder with a 1/4 HP motor with pulleys and belts to grind up Venison and Hog.

bookemdano

Single-Sixer
That horseshoe looks more like a throwing shoe than from a Clydesdale. It has no nail holes.
Your right. No holes. We never played horseshoes while I was growing up.
We had a Clydesdale dad bought from a logging outfit that went bust in
50. Could it have been a pattern for his shoes? I remember a cousin of
ours would come by now and then and trim his hooves and shoe him
when necessary. He was a Farrier part time. Wish there was someone
of the family still alive, I'd ask about it. The cousin died several years
ago and I'm now the oldest member of the family living. Just never
noticed the missing holes. The old barn is still standing, barely. If I
had a metal detector, bet I could find a few things. You've peaked my
curiosity now. I'm gonna have to look around the old barn and see
if I can find anything of interest. It's a little dangerous, the old timbers
are rotten in places. I haven't been it to any extent in years.
Dano

mistermills357

Blackhawk
I may be misinformed about this, but I have heard all cigarette tobacco was foreign grown, mostly from the Middle East. American tobacco was primarily pipe tobacco or used for chewing tobacco or snuff. Not sure about that now, if that were the case.

Bob Wright
I tried some German cigarettes while I was stationed there, and they were awful. And I think that they were from Turkey, and they cost a lot of money.

The Germans had a high regard for American cigarettes, mostly Marlboro.
They would pay for high prices them too.

ole442

Single-Sixer
Dayton, Ohio! Way too freakin' close to the city!
Before the Leatherman Multi Tool!

Multi-tool 1900's 1.JPG
Multi-tool 1900's 2.JPG

Mauser9

Single-Sixer
Yep I recall. Recall opening beer cans for my dad with pull tab opener. Daisy pump BB gun was $9.95, and the Dinah Shore Chevy Show. Fun times outdoors especially in the woods.

caryc

Hawkeye
Yep I recall. Recall opening beer cans for my dad with pull tab opener. Daisy pump BB gun was $9.95, and the Dinah Shore Chevy Show. Fun times outdoors especially in the woods.
My sister lived in Hollywood and as a kid I remember going to see the Dinah Shore show live as it was filmed.

Mauser9

Single-Sixer
Folks always watched the Chevy Show. Musical Variety. That jingle keeps going through my mind now. "See the USA in your Chevrolet"

harley08

Single-Sixer
Anybody remember Earl Scheib? "I'll paint any car, twenty nine ninety five". Or you could get his diamond gloss paint job for $49.95.
My Earl Scheib paint job lasted about 1 year before it started fading!

harley08

Single-Sixer
Yep When he said he would paint the car HE MEANT the WHOLE car bumpers and chrome included. He had a shop in Columbus Ohio in 1959.

Dad got one for our 1939 Olds for crossing the deserts when we went from Maxwell AFB AL to Travis AFB CA in 1951. They were also a supply for extra radiator water
My Earl Scheib paint job lasted about 1 year!

Ride1949

Blackhawk
I got an Earl Scheib paint job on my old '52 Ford. Did all the masking myself. Didn't come out too bad at all.

Anybody remember Earl Scheib? "I'll paint any car, twenty nine ninety five". Or you could get his diamond gloss paint job for $49.95.
And for an extra five bucks he'd roll up the windows before painting it. ;) :LOL:
I remember lots of those used around my neighborhood. The strange thing is that I don't remember any of us kids ever messing around with them.

It seems that if anything deserved to be messed around with by a couple rambunctious kids it would be those things ❗

caryc

Hawkeye
cary,
Did you ever see one of the paint jobs???? Looked OK at 100' if you squinted'
I could do better with a Kirby Vacuum Cleaner. Which was probably the first High Volume Low Pressure Spray Systems, HVLP I used my Mom's to paint stuff in the 50s
I saw plenty of Earl Scheib paint jobs. We had an Earl Scheib right in Riverside California where I lived. Lots of my high school buddies had Earl Scheib paint jobs.

My Mom had one of those Vacuums with the sprayer but I never tried painting with it. My Mom just used it for to spray carpet cleaner.

I saw plenty of Earl Scheib paint jobs. We had an Earl Scheib right in Riverside California where I lived. Lots of my high school buddies had Earl Scheib paint jobs.

My Mom had one of those Vacuums with the sprayer but I never tried painting with it. My Mom just used it for to spray carpet cleaner.
Actually a friend of mine that I worked with at the supermarket had a 1955 black and white Ford Crown Victoria painted by Earl. It looked pretty good and most of us couldn't believe Earl did it. This was in 1959 and why his 3 year old car needed painted I don't remember. At the time I had a perfect 30K mile 1953 Ford Victoria.

I helped my Daughter buy a 1984 Z28 in 1989 and she wanted to have it painted a different color so we had Maaco do it. What a rip off and I had to do a lot of work to half way fix it which I didn't want to do. Yes I should have painted it but I didn't want to have to paint all the inside stuff.

caryc

Hawkeye
Anybody remember spud guns? You would jam the barrel into a potato to get a plug of potato in the barrel then, pull the trigger to fire that slug out of the barrel.

Or, how about carbide cannons? They were pretty neat. I remember as a kid we would find a caterpillar nest and let a bunch of them crawl into the barrel then fire the cannon at a board held a foot or so in front of the barrel to watch the critters go splat on the board.

bookemdano

Single-Sixer
Took a trip over to the old barn this morning. The old anvil is still there.
I need to bring the tractor back with the front-end loader and get it
before the barn falls in on it. Those things cost a fortune nowadays.
Also found our mule's old single tree we used for skidding logs and
paper wood with. The dogs should have been with it, but I couldn't
find them. Got it hanging on the side of my house for the pic. I stoned
my house myself 40 years ago. Also found an old cast iron dipper you
can see in the lower left. Not sure what it was used for, but it looks
like it has lead residue in it. a regular water dipper is on the other side.
Dano
IMG_1700.jpg

IMG_1701.jpg

bookemdano

Single-Sixer
Anybody remember spud guns? You would jam the barrel into a potato to get a plug of potato in the barrel then, pull the trigger to fire that slug out of the barrel.

Or, how about carbide cannons? They were pretty neat. I remember as a kid we would find a caterpillar nest and let a bunch of them crawl into the barrel then fire the cannon at a board held a foot or so in front of the barrel to watch the critters go splat on the board.
We never had the spud gun or the cannon but carbide lights are what we used for coon hunting.
I may even still have one someplace, not sure. Used to keep our carbide in Prince Albert cans
to keep it dry.
Dano

caryc

Hawkeye
We never had the spud gun or the cannon but carbide lights are what we used for coon hunting.
I may even still have one someplace, not sure. Used to keep our carbide in Prince Albert cans
to keep it dry.
Dano
My Dad bought me one of those carbide lights that clipped onto a miners helmet just because it was a neat thing back then. My Dad was a pretty neat guy.

Latest posts