More for seniors, who remembers............?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Rich/WIS

Bearcat
Remember all but # 7 and 8, most of the other list as well. Corned beef still comes on the can with the key, think Spam still does and some canned hams as well. Dad rolled his own with Zig-Zag papers and tobacco in a blue pouch but the brand name escapes me.

We called them "smudge pots."

Bob Wright
Actually, here in Calif. smudge pots were a whole different device. They lit up the smudge pots in the orange groves to keep the frost off of the orange trees.

I also remember the rag man coming by our house in his horse drawn wagon.
Anyone else remember opening your front door to find your milk bottles had frozen and cracked from the cold. That was when milk was actually delivered to your house.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
I don’t remember #’s 5, ,7, 8. I do remember people rolling their own cigarettes. Opening cans with a P-38 from your key ring. They sure put holes in my Jean pockets though. Lol
gramps
Hi,

Those P-38s could do a number on your leg. And speaking of legs, how about "Zippo leg?" and I use one of those #3 ice trays in a little apartment sized refrigerator. I think I'm its last stop on a journey through the family of over 60 years.

Rick C

Last edited:
Those rags usually got recycled into high quality papers like those used to make legal documents, wills, licenses, and artists paper. Some countries made paper currency from recycled fabric; not sure if the US ever did.

john guedry

Single-Sixer
Remember most except #5. My grandpaw rolled his own from Bull Durham. I got the little bag when it was empty.

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
GrandPa Smoked 1/2 and 1/2 tobacco in his pipe; Said it was Half weeds and Half Horse poop.

I may be misinformed about this, but I have heard all cigarette tobacco was foreign grown, mostly from the Middle East. American tobacco was primarily pipe tobacco or used for chewing tobacco or snuff. Not sure about that now, if that were the case.

Bob Wright

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
Those rags usually got recycled into high quality papers like those used to make legal documents, wills, licenses, and artists paper. Some countries made paper currency from recycled fabric; not sure if the US ever did.

There was a plant in Oklahoma City that supplied rags to the paper companies. And the threads are still visible in most US currency.

We stayed at a Hampton Inn, close to the Shepler's store in Oklahoma City, and the rag plant was close by. The pile of rags, over an acre and maybe in a cone nearly fifteen feet in height, caught fire. Lots of smoke!

Bob Wright

turd

Blackhawk
Remember the pop coolers that were horizontal with bottles hanging from a rack so they were in the recirculating cold water? Put your nickel or dime in and guide the bottle you wanted to the exit point. Then you wiped off the wet bottle on the towel hanging on the front. 😃 Depending on how they were loaded, sometimes you had to choose a different flavor because yours couldn't be guided thru the rack to the exit.

Remember one of these from anywhere?

LefWtZLl.jpg

Latest posts