More for seniors, who remembers............?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
1. Coffee cans with that little key attached. To open the can the key was engaged in the metal tab and wound around the can to peel away a strip of metal to open the can.

2. Those little can openers. They were opened up like a "Y", then pinched together to pierce the can lid. Then crank the handle to open the lid.

3.Aluminum ice trays with a top mounted lever to free the ice cubes.

4. Refrigerators with a freezer compartment big enough only to freeze four ice trays.

5. The rag man coming down your street asking for old rags. (And who knew what those rags were used for?)

6. Making tin can "telephones."

7. And Fatima cigarettes was the first sponsor of radio's "Dragnet."

8. Store bought cigarettes were called "Ready Rolls"

9. Automobiles "locking bumpers."

10. Burning leaves in the gutter.

Bob Wright

cowboycopus

Single-Sixer
Here are some others.

Who said it? or sang it?

Well I'll be a dirty bird.

See the USA in your Cheverolet.

Bless your little peapicken' heart.

Good night Mrs. Callabash where ever you are.

If I had known I would live this long I would have taken better care of myself.

Thanks for the memories.

You can trust your car to the man who wears the star.

If the good Lord's willin' and the creek don't rise.

How sweet it is!!!!

Ooohh Sapphier, what is I gonna do.

Louie, this could be the beginning of a great friendship.

You bet your sweet bippy.

And that's the name of that tune.

Happy trails.

SamV

Blackhawk
Cut the heck out of myself on one of those coffee keys when I tried to unwind it. Lesson learned early in life. 😒
Yep! Me too. Well, actually I probably cut myself several times on a variety of canned items that had a key type opener. My parents had a grocery store and several canned meat products like chopped ham loaf came that way. My dad would give me a pair of pliers to just pull the metal strip. It was much faster, but then you had this long sharp springy strip flying around. Kept you paying attention. Good times.

RC44Mag

Bearcat
I don’t remember #’s 5, ,7, 8. I do remember people rolling their own cigarettes. Opening cans with a P-38 from your key ring. They sure put holes in my Jean pockets though. Lol
gramps
Had a P-38 on my keychain and It poked a couple holes in my fingers. It doesn’t ride in my pocket any more.

JiminMaine

Bearcat
Anybody remember taking the mercury from a broken thermometer and chasing it around on the floor. Then using your fingers to pick it up and rug it on a penny to turn it silver.

In Cub Scouts (1950s) I remember learning that you could cut strips of metal from your used toothpaste tubes to wrap around your fishing line to use as a sinker.

Remember biting down on a split-shot sinker and accidentally swallowing it? No big deal.

The local Chief of Police once pulled up alongside of me as I was walking down side of the road when I was 10 carrying my loaded 22 rifle. I was woodchuck hunting and he wanted to know how many I had shot that day. Then told me to keep up the good work as he drove off. Today if they saw a 10 year old walking down the road with a loaded gun they would call the SWAT team and take him away from his negligent parents.

vito

Hunter
I remember all of those listed, except "ready rolls". Never heard that phrase before today. Maybe living in the big city meant we had brand name cigarettes readily available.

How about the coupons in Raleigh cigarettes? They were like S&H Green stamps and could be redeemed for prizes. Even then, my uncle used to joke that he was saving up his coupons to buy a casket.

This thread made me think about how different the world was, and what our expectations were in those days. I lived in a small house with my parents, brother, sister, my Dad's father and my Mom's mother, and often we had foster children (my Mom did it for the money it generated as my Dad never gave her enough weekly money to run the household). We had one small bathroom and most of the time it worked out fine. Now I live in a house with just my wife and we have three full bathrooms, rooms we virtually never go in unless we have family staying over (less and less often as the years go on) and not nearly as much laughter and fun as I remember as a kid.

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
"If the good Lord's willin' and the creek don't rise."

This saying goes back to the war of 1812, but its "Creeks", not creek. The story goers, as best as I remember it, that Gen. Andrew Jackson was preparing for the battle at New Orleans, he asked the fort in Alabama if they would be able to supply his troops. The response was as stated. The ".....if the Creeks don't rise," was in reference to the Creek Indians, meaning if they did not go on the warpath.

We were depending on them for powder and ball.:cool::cool::cool::cool:

Bob Wright

Popping the little yellow packet and then squeezing the entire package so the margarine would be yellow rather than white.
Hitching a ride on the running board.
A coal fired pot bellied stove in center of the local store.