more .357 load questions...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

cleardatum

Single-Sixer
i have noticed a pattern with most all of the load data i'm gathering (.357 magnum), and that is, for loads using imr-4227, recipes using magnum primers are using a little less powder. i have both standard and magnum primers, and i'll try both, no doubt, but, are there any advantages to one over the other? i use the imr-4227 a lot for .44 magnum, but never with magnum primers. are the magnum primers better for cold weather? i live in an area where i could be shooting in below zero weather in winter, 100 in summer.

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
Hodgdons,the people where IMR 4227 comes from, only lists one bullet weight,140 gr. using IMR 4227 and they recommend the Winchester small pistol MAGNUM primer.
That said, you may find data from another source that suggests standard primers.
I usually stay with the exact components that the load manual I am using calls for.
Stay safe my friend.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
I think most testing is done with magnum primers in Magnum calibers for safety because if they used standard primers and a reloader decided to use a magnum primer they might get higher pressures.

If you want to be sure of good ignition in cold weather with slow powders use a magnum primer but keep in mind that load data with regular primers might increase in pressure slightly when using magnum primers. :D

Clovishound

Blackhawk
Chuck 100 yd said:
Hodgdons,the people where IMR 4227 comes from, only lists one bullet weight,140 gr. using IMR 4227 and they recommend the Winchester small pistol MAGNUM primer.
That said, you may find data from another source that suggests standard primers.
I usually stay with the exact components that the load manual I am using calls for.
Stay safe my friend.

Just checked their website, and they list loads for a number of different bullet weights.

My understanding is that the slower powders, like 4227, need magnum primers for complete burning. If you are using a faster powder, like HP38, or Titegroup, not so much. Again, this is conventional wisdom, not something that comes from the powder manufacturers.

I always stick to the type of primer listed in the data. I even use the magnum primers with Titegroup, because that is what the data calls for. I keep both on hand, and they are the same price, so why not use the "correct" one?

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
You are right on the bullet weights. I selected all bullet weights in my search and only loads for 140 gr. came up. Computers!!!
Oh well the primer type is what we were looking for and that info was good.