montado help

Help Support Ruger Forum:

CZReverend

Bearcat
Hi all, looking for some input on a single action I would like to buy/build.

I want a stainless steel, with montado length barrel 357. How hard are the montados to find and what should I expect to pay?

Next...

I would like the cylinder to spin freely when loading. What changes need to be made?

Last, I really would like a birdshead gripframe with the black mircata (sp?) grips.

What should I use as a base gun, where should I buy the parts, and any other advice. Thanks!

Knuckles

Buckeye
I had a Montado and it was a Very, Very nice gun... I hated to part with it but was I was paying rent.

It would not really need a free-spin cylinder on account of the little bugger Reverse indexes for loading / unloading with the loading gate and extracting-rod.

Far as the BH grip... I know they're available, but someone else will have to give up that info.

Bud (knuckles)

DPris

Buckeye
Removing the tiny plunger that extends from the rear of the frame through the breechface renders the gun into a full-spin cylinder in either direction.
Look at Brownells for gripframes.
Denis

KWYJIBO

Blackhawk
CZReverend":1pfq66h5 said:
Thanks guys, besides the montado are there any other nv models in 357 that were made with the shorter barrel?

Hmmm....

Right now the Ruger website only shows 2 models with a short barrel: the Montado in .357 and .45. (There are some other special models that look cool, but all with longer barrels.)

http://ruger.com/products/vaqueroDE/models.html

As far as I know, they only made the Sheriff's model in the original Vaquero, so Montado may be your only option for a short New Vaquero.

If you don't insist on a New Vaquero, there are possibilities. ACRYLICTNK is always getting cleanup models in stock, and the deals are great. Keep an eye on his posts in the classifieds; he may just come onto some heavy frame 357 Vaqueros in stainless w/birdshead grip. (The closest I've seen recently were some blued birdshead .45s, but you never know...)

I've been tossing around the same idea as you. I like the size and weight of the NV. I like .357s. I like the Montado hammer. I really want a stainless gun. And I have a thing for birdshead grips and short barrels. Since they don't make a gun with all of the above, I'll have to decide which features are most important and compromise, or else get one as close as possible and modify as required.

gak

Buckeye
My thought is that the Montado has MOST of the features you're looking for. I'd get that and then deal with the grip frame; in the meantime continuing the search for a source that'll work.