Montado .45 question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

rtl

Single-Sixer
A couple weeks ago I purchased a Montado .45 ordered directly from Davidson's for me by my local gun shop. The grip frame of this Montado doesn't have the grooved front strap...which I didn't want anyway but was willing to live with.

Is/was the grooved front strap just on the .357s, only offered for a limited run or did I luck out with the wrong grip frame on this one?

Thanks,
rt

JimMarch1

Blackhawk
They ditched the grooves to comply with SASS rules. When SASS changed the rules to allow lower-slung hammers (incl. the Montado/SBH types) in non-mounted competition, they did NOT at the same time allow the 1st-gen Montado grip frame grooves. Ruger changed course accordingly.

REP1954

Blackhawk
Hey lets see some pictures with and without. I love those Montado's just whish Ruger made one in a all blue version.

gak

Buckeye
I've got the grooves on my .357. I don't compete but like them just 'cause it makes the model novel/different in addition to its other unique features,...but otherwise functionally can live with or without. I added a Bowen-sourced lanyard ring and now the whole package is "just so." (Btw, my 'smith did this/not for the novice at all on the new Rugers re the fine work 'cause of the internal lockwork clearance (!?#!), esp to allow the lanyard to turn normally; slightly easier if can live with in fixed (fore-aft) position, which I couldn't. Final product great though). Love the gun, but even shortened from the normal NVs, is no lightweight. This may be destined for a .44 conversion if Ruger doesn't beat me to it! Otherwise a pussycat to shoot .38s or even light to moderate '57s.