Moly coated cast Bullets in .44 and .357 Revolvers????

Help Support Ruger Forum:

BearStopper

Blackhawk
Has anyone used these to avoid leading in their Ruger Revolvers? If so any info would be appreciated. I have lube sizers but have also considered trying a moly coating using a tub placed inside a vibratory brass tumbler. I know at one time it was popular with the rifle crowd especially with target and varmint shooters but I personally have not heard of its value in magnum revolvers.

J Miller

Blackhawk
BearStopper":gm8w9jb9 said:
Has anyone used these to avoid leading in their Ruger Revolvers? If so any info would be appreciated. I have lube sizers but have also considered trying a moly coating using a tub placed inside a vibratory brass tumbler. I know at one time it was popular with the rifle crowd especially with target and varmint shooters but I personally have not heard of its value in magnum revolvers.

I have used them in my .45 Colt OM BH. They were an abject failure as far as leading goes. I ended up having to pull them down and add real bullet lube to the groves.
In my opinion they are not worth the effort or cost. Use real bullets with real lube and you'll get better results.

Joe

eme

Bearcat
Been using moly coated bullets for 5+ years. Use them in 45 colt, 357 mag, 38 spl.. Even use them in 357 mag in a Marlin lever action with micro groove rifling without a hint of leading (400+ rounds) Load a 148 WC @ 1300 FPS for 357 mag and have had very little to no leading after 500+ rounds in a GP100. Try Bear Creek moly bullets and I think you will be happy with the results. You can call them @ 209-874-4322 Pacific time. Their bullets are priced very reasonable with "free" shipping on orders $95 or more. Good luck in your quest.

dave

Bearcat
I use copper/brass ? plates lead bullets ba HaendlerNaterman.
They are a little more expensive, but very good.

BearStopper

Blackhawk
ElrodCod":11zx7ll3 said:
Moly coated bullets are a solution in search of a problem. We got along just fine before these things appeared.
The problem I am told is that the .357 is notorious for leading a barrel with magnum loads and cast bullets. Now I have't shot any magnum loaded cast bullets from my .357's but I have heard of droves of others who have had leading issues in this caliber. I have shot lubed .38 specials from mine with no issues so that is why I asked the question. Now with .44 magnum I have read that leading is not as large a problem and I personally have not had issues as of yet. So, as I understand it, one must make sure that cast bullets are of a tolerable hardness and sized properly for ones chamber/barrel measurements. Use a quality lube, and keep the velocity down.....I guess this is where one might want to experiment due to wanting to push to full power magnum loads with the cast bullet.

WESHOOT2

Hunter
For lead bullets that can be pushed fast, take a look at
Penn Bullets,
Oregon Trail Laser-Cast,
Dry Creek Bullet Works (the proprietor of these fine bullets can sometimes be 'found' here),
Beartooth, and
Cast Performance.

Not guessing......

Big Bubba

Single-Sixer
I recall when molycoat was the newest "rage" on all bullets, cast and jacketed. The gunwriters were swooning and panting about how great moly worked.

Then something happened. It was soon found that the moly was worse to clean out of barrels than either leading and jacket fowling in some firearms!

The Molycoat frenzy seems to have passed, though there are still some moly coated bullets being sold.

Cherokee

Single-Sixer
I have pushed 44 Mag Lead 429421 bullets over 1400 fps without leading in my Redhawk. Bullet fit and hardness for the velocity make a difference.

Blackhawk Convertable

Single-Sixer
I agree with Cherokee. Gotta add that I tumble lube using Johnson's Paste Wax as my lube of choice and it is hands down better than anything else I have tried. Amazing how little powder fouling and leading I am getting vs. all the other stuff. Especially commercial cast. Moly is not what you want. Get some JPW and tumble lube for exceptional results!

sasu

Single-Sixer
One reason for excessive leading in a revolver can be blow-by in the cylinder throat. It means the hot gases pass around the bullet and melt the sides of the bullet which results in lead being deposited in the barrel.

This can happen if the cylinder throats are much larger than the bullet diameter AND the bullet does not obturate to fill in the throat.

The bullet will obturate best when the load is stout enough and the bullet material is soft enough. This can lead to a very counter intuitive phenomenon where a softer bullet will deposit less lead in the barrel than a hard bullet would.

WESHOOT2

Hunter
Another (common) reason for leading: bore condition.
Many guns come new with bores in need of a bit of polishing, often easily accomplished by shooting a good number of jacketed bullets through it.

My experience also led me to 'condition' my bores, using Tetragun oil (clean bore utterly thoroughly totally squeaky clean, liberally swab Tetragun oil in the bore until it drips, then wait (wait....wait....) for it dry.
Then, when dry, run a clean dry patch or two through it and go shootin'!).

With reduced (or zero) leading.

I must be friggin' lucky, because NONE of my guns EVER had leading issues.
None.
Never.