Modular Firearms

Help Support Ruger Forum:

toysoldier

Hunter
When a convertible rifle with the necessary extras for caliber conversion costs more than individual guns in different calibers, the only real justification would be laws that restrict the number of guns owned. Not a problem in the U.S. Keeping all the bits and pieces together might also be more challenging than racking individual rifles. Remember, too, that a caliber conversion will require re-sighting the rifle. The dimensions of a rifle should be matched to the cartridge and intended use. A 7mm Mauser used for stalking deer should be lighter than a 9.3 Mauser used to take big game. Handloading one of the versatile calibers can make it useful in a variety of situations, and is a whole lot cheaper than conversions or multiple rifles.
Pistols are a different matter. If a barrel/magazine swap can be done without affecting reliability, why not? It's your money. Of course, the necessity of re-zeroing the pistol remains. Some revolvers, like the .357/.38 Special and .32Long/Short are inherently 2-caliber. Other combinations that require gunsmithing to provide "ammo availability" aren't cheap. An inexpensive reloading starter kit from Lee (remember--with a revolver, you aren't chasing your brass) goes a long way to ensuring you have the exact ammo you want and need, not just what is (or isn't) on the dealer's shelf.

Somewhere I remember reading where one of the main reasons the 'West was won' was due to the repeating rifles and revolvers using the same ammo.

You are right that it is a little complicated on the TNW rifle/pistol to go from 9mm to either 357 or 40... barrel change out takes about 5-10 seconds but you also have to change out the bolt head and that takes a minute or two.

pawncop

Blackhawk
My Glock model 32 is an example that I believe is a practical one

Chambered in .357 Sig, a S&W.40 caliber barrel drops in, the magazines are interchangeable.

38 Special and .357 magnum, .44 special and .44 magnum also come to mind.

Not sure what else you are looking for.

Biggfoot44

Blackhawk
Strong case to be made that the gun most responsible for the settling of the West .... Was the basic utility Shotgun .

But yes , as discussed in another thread , there was significant but not exclusive interest in .44-40 , .38-40, and later .32-20 . As rifle & Pistol , or rifle , or pistol .

Yes , in the 1910's , my Grandfather used a .32-20 rifle on a mule deer to feed the family on his WY homestead . He wasn't overly impressed , it took multiple shots . But it was then his only firearm , and the Mulie ended up on the dinner table .

carbonfibrebob

Bearcat
How about a Desert Eagle with 50 AE, 44 Mag, 429 DE, and 357 Mag. If you're lucky you can find 41 Mag as well.