Modular Firearms

Help Support Ruger Forum:

fiend

Bearcat
Hello my name is Thomas and I'm new here. I did come here for a reason, to get the opinions of a few fellow gun folks. I have three questions for all who feel like responding.

1.) Would you buy a multi-cartridge capable rifle (capable of a change in cartridge with an exchange in barrel, bolt, and magazine.) over a traditional bolt action? Assuming; it didn't sacrifice accuracy, magazine capacity/coal length, it didnt have timing issues, was ambidextrous, and was affordable.

2.) Would you buy a multi-cartridge capable revolver (more than industry standard. example 454 casull/45 colt, 357 magnum/38 special, 44 rem magnum/44 special.) over a current offered revolver? Assuming; it didn't require moon clips, didn't sacrifice accuracy, have issues ejecting cases, was concealable, and was affordable.

3.) Would you buy a modular semi-automatic pistol over current offered pistols? Assuming; it was available in common cartidges( 9mm, 10mm, 45acp), it was ambidextrous, didn't sacrifice accuracy or capacity, and was affordable.

BearBiologist

Blackhawk
Well, I have a 454 Casull, a 45 Colt/45 acp Blackhawk, a Glock 27 (40 S & W) with 9mm and 357 Sig barrels, a G22 with 357 Sig barrel.

That being said, I pretty much use one barrel/caliber exclusively in each. I keep the barrels for SHTF situations and/or ammo scarcity. Exception is 22 /22 WMR Super Single Sixes.

Mobuck

Hawkeye
Hello and welcome.
In response I'll say I'm already on-board with the first two but haven't got into the multi-cartridge semi-auto handgun since I chose to stick with a single cartridge for ALL center fire pistols.

protoolman

Hunter
Considering all my friends with contenders seem to buy frames to dedicate exclusively to each barrel, I would say no. My single sixes have one cylinder installed and one unfired cylinder lying in a box as well. That has been my observations on anything switch barreled over the years.

Biggfoot44

Blackhawk
The first is around in bolt action , but doesn't catch on because , the rifles are inherently more expensive , and with the cost of the additional bbls , wind up costing more than two or more conventional rifles dedicated for the respective calibers . The situation changes is other countries where the firearms are heavily regulated , or the total number owned is constrained . IF the conversation pieces aren't regulated as firearms themselves .

In semiauto , the concept is already here , with Uppers of different calibers for AR .

For semiauto pistols , it's already here .

the_leper_colony

Single-Sixer
Hello my name is Thomas and I'm new here. I did come here for a reason, to get the opinions of a few fellow gun folks. I have three questions for all who feel like responding.

1.) Would you buy a multi-cartridge capable rifle (capable of a change in cartridge with an exchange in barrel, bolt, and magazine.) over a traditional bolt action? Assuming; it didn't sacrifice accuracy, magazine capacity/coal length, it didnt have timing issues, was ambidextrous, and was affordable.

2.) Would you buy a multi-cartridge capable revolver (more than industry standard. example 454 casull/45 colt, 357 magnum/38 special, 44 rem magnum/44 special.) over a current offered revolver? Assuming; it didn't require moon clips, didn't sacrifice accuracy, have issues ejecting cases, was concealable, and was affordable.

3.) Would you buy a modular semi-automatic pistol over current offered pistols? Assuming; it was available in common cartidges( 9mm, 10mm, 45acp), it was ambidextrous, didn't sacrifice accuracy or capacity, and was affordable.

Hi Thomas - welcome to the forum!

My personal answer to all three questions would be "yes". In part that's because some of the first guns I owned were multi-caliber factory models: picture Ruger single-action "convertible" revolvers (.22LR/.22 Mag, .38/.357/9mm, .45 Colt/.45acp). In part it's also because I've seen several times, when it's been difficult to find ammunition in some calibers (9mm, .223/5.56), but easier to find it or reload it in other calibers (.40S&W, 6.8SPC) that are viable substitutes in "modular" firearms. Finally, I've learned over the years that I enjoy some "home gunsmithing" projects, and adding a caliber to an existing firearm can be entertaining & worthwhile, even if it's something as simple as buying a .22 rimfire conversion kit.

Some firearms are obvious candidates for a multi-caliber "modular" firearm project: ARs, Savage 10/110 bolt actions, Glocks & possibly 1911s come to mind. Other firearms are less obvious; because this is a Ruger forum, I'll mention a Ruger P-series pistol that I own, that will handle four different calibers (9mm, .40S&W, .30 Luger, & .45acp reloads) as well as full-size or compact slides. [If I remember, I'll try to post a photo later.] Cost varies widely, depending on whether you're replacing just a barrel or an entire 'top half', using new or used parts, need to purchase specialized tools, etc.

Obviously I like the idea, and in today's political climate, I can see the potential for certain calibers to be banned entirely (consider Joe Biden's recent ignorant comments about 9mm supposedly 'blowing the lungs out of the body'). Other countries have banned certain calibers, so it makes sense to me to buy/build firearms that have options.

IMHO, FWIW, YMMV, etc. Gun owners are very opinionated folks, so I'm 100% sure not everyone will agree with me!

Last edited:

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum.
First off, I'd evaluate the purpose(s) for the firearm.
Self defense?
Hunting?
Competition?
Investment?
Collecting?

I like to have multiple capabilities with some guns,, while others, I dedicate a firearm for specific purpose.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
I would like to know why he is asking those questions. Do you represent a gun manufacturer or something? What are you going to do with the answers, write an article or is this for your own curiosity, I don't get it.

I would like to know why he is asking those questions. Do you represent a gun manufacturer or something? What are you going to do with the answers, write an article or is this for your own curiosity, I don't get it.
The questions do come across as sort of formal for a survey or some sort of market research, don’t they?

The problems I have with multi-caliber this and that is all the extraneous pieces. So many different accessories, barrels, slides etc. I just feel like it’s a lot of money tied up in pieces and parts.

the_leper_colony

Single-Sixer
...The problems I have with multi-caliber this and that is all the extraneous pieces. So many different accessories, barrels, slides etc. I just feel like it’s a lot of money tied up in pieces and parts.

Some folks like owning a Glock 23 with 9mm & maybe .357SIG conversion kits; others buy a Glock 19 and call it a day. Some folks love TC Contenders and own 10 or 20 different barrels; other folks wouldn't be caught dead with a big ol' single-shot handgun, if they inherited one for free.

If there's one thing that's a guaranteed certainty among gun owners, it's this: one size NEVER EVER fits all!

:)

Some folks like owning a Glock 23 with 9mm & maybe .357SIG conversion kits; others buy a Glock 19 and call it a day. Some folks love TC Contenders and own 10 or 20 different barrels; other folks wouldn't be caught dead with a big ol' single-shot handgun, if they inherited one for free.

If there's one thing that's a guaranteed certainty among gun owners, it's this: one size NEVER EVER fits all!

:)
You are absolutely correct on this. I have a Thompson Contender and have two barrels. a 17HMR and a 22LR. I like the 17 caliber and so the 22lr barrel just sits there in the safe. I bought it new, and since it wasn't cheap, I'm certainly not going to sell it. I suppose it makes the whole gun worth more.

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
My answer to all three propositions, is "No."

My observation is much the same as those Leatherman multi-purpose tools: O.K. but dedicated tools work so much better.

I do have a couple of Ruger Blackhawk with auxiliary cylinders, but find that they are pretty much for amusement rather than practical.

Modular concepts leave me cold.

Bob Wright

To be specific... my 'thing' for years with guns is to have both a rifle and handgun that shoots the same ammo. I started with 357 magnum and of course 22 long rifle then discovered there was a rifle made by Ruger a 'few' years back that shot 9mm and took the same magazines as their P series pistols....the original Police Carbine, boy howdy did I jump on that....I own three of them! then I wanted a tad more 'ump' and so now I'm dedicated to 357 sig..... I had to lower my standards and buy a Glock because the rifle I chose for this only takes Glock magazines.... TNW firearms out of Oregon makes both an ASR Rifle as well as pistol (short barreled with brace) that shoots 9mm, 40 and 357sig as well as 10mm and 45acp

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
Further contemplation of this subject leaves me even more convinced I wouldn't want any such firearm. The first problem I see in and "transformer" type of firearm would be the wear of the mating parts. Seems over the period of time parts would no longer snug up in fitting. Maybe some extraordinary method could be devised to compensate for this, but for now I'd be leery of any such mechanism.

But then there's the possibility of having the wrong combination of parts at a crucial time, say having the bolt for a .30-06 and barrel for a .22 Hornet.

And why monkey around with the auto pistol? John Browning pretty well perfected that with the Colt Government Model, which is now pretty well known as the M1911. (Actually closer to the M1911A1, but I'm an old fogey, there.) The only improvement I see in that field would be in the ammunition, an ejected cartridge case being directed into the shooter's pocket or case.

Consider the Gyrojet and Dardwick pistols, and where they are now.

Bob Wright

tunnug

Single-Sixer
On the semi auto pistol, many years ago back when they were still affordable I picked up a Tanfoglio Witness which is an Italian copy of the CZ 75 (I believe) in .45acp, I then acquired several uppers that came with the proper magazine in 10mm, 38 SA, 40S&W, 9mm,, that gave me 5 pistols in one, they all work like they should and I still have the set, you can still do this but the uppers have gone from a little over $100 apiece to over $300 which is what I paid for my complete pistol originally.

Mike J

Hunter
Further contemplation of this subject leaves me even more convinced I wouldn't want any such firearm. The first problem I see in and "transformer" type of firearm would be the wear of the mating parts. Seems over the period of time parts would no longer snug up in fitting. Maybe some extraordinary method could be devised to compensate for this, but for now I'd be leery of any such mechanism.

But then there's the possibility of having the wrong combination of parts at a crucial time, say having the bolt for a .30-06 and barrel for a .22 Hornet.

And why monkey around with the auto pistol? John Browning pretty well perfected that with the Colt Government Model, which is now pretty well known as the M1911. (Actually closer to the M1911A1, but I'm an old fogey, there.) The only improvement I see in that field would be in the ammunition, an ejected cartridge case being directed into the shooter's pocket or case.

Consider the Gyrojet and Dardwick pistols, and where they are now.

Bob Wright
I thought about this with semi-auto pistols. The whole buy a .40, get a 9mm & ..357 Sig conversion barrel & ahve 3 guns in one. I have read about it a lot. Some folks say the conversion barrels will drop in. Some say they have to be fitted. Some say you need to get separate magazines for 9mm. Some say it will run fine out out of a .40 magazine. Some folks say you should change the extractor, some say it doesn't matter. I guess all of the above could be dependent on which model one selected to do this with. I pretty much decided I'd just run with the factory configuration.

I do like being able to swap between .38 & .357 in a revolver. I had a cheapo single action revolver with a .22LR & .22 Magnum cylinder. I shot the .22 Magnum cylinder a few times playing with it but the .22 LR cylinder was the one that got used after the new wore off.