Mods to a SR1911

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Put a Storm Lake threaded barrel in it. It dropped in with no fitting needed. Then I put on a Silencerco Osprey 45 suppressor. Took it to the range today and put 30 rounds though it and it functioned perfectly with the suppressor. Next will be to see what the accuracy is (it was raining all day and I didn't feel like going out from under the covered range to change targets or to do a serious accuracy work :) ). Once I do that I'll post pics of the gun and the target(s).

BTW, with the suppressor, no hearing protection was needed :D

wayned said:
what kind of "hoops" did ya have to jump through to get the silencer and was it really worth it?

No hoops to speak of, I am an FFL01 with a SOT3 so I got several suppressors as demo models. Silencerco has a special for new SOT3's (I just got mine this year - good from 1 July 2015 to 30 June 2016, $500 per year) and you get a variety of their suppressors (for a good price). As demos I have one for a AR type rifle, a .45 (the SR1911) and rimfire (on a SR22).

However, depending on where you live and the laws of the state, it can be a hassle, or none at all. Here in PA, suppressors are legal to own and to hunt with. You can get it as a personal asset or you can form a trust and own it that way. As a personal asset, you have to supply the ATF with a picture, fingerprints and the Chief Law Enforcement Officer sign off. With a trust, no pics, prints or CLEO sign off.

Lastly, YES, it is worth it. A suppressed .22 is quieter than a pellet gun (when using subsonic ammo) and probably as quiet as a pellet gun even when using high velocity ammo. With all the guns I have as demos (the AR is a SIG516 SBR - 7.5" bbl) you do not need ear protection, even when under a covered shooting area.