Modified Gunsite Scout

Help Support Ruger Forum:

773PPVM

Bearcat
Ok, I broke down and built myself a sort-of scout rifle. It's no longer truly a "scout rifle" by Colonel Cooper's definition, but it's my concept of a general-purpose bolt-action rifle suitable for recreational or survival hunting of up to deer-sized game and defense against two-and-four-legged predators. When we move to Arizona, it will serve alongside one of my AR-pattern rifles as a camp gun/Jeep rifle.

Base rifle is, of course, a Ruger Gunsite Scout in .308 with a 16.1" barrel. I dropped it into the same MDT LSS chassis I used for my Remington 700 based precision rifle, which I really like. Since they use the same chassis, my Gunsite Scout takes the same 5-or-10-round AICS magazines as my precision rifle. I replaced the short forward rail with an XS Sight Systems full-length rail so I could mount a standard eye-relief scope rather than an intermediate eye-relief scope. The selection of intermediate-relief scopes is very limited, and they're fixed-power while I'm a big fan of low-power variables (1-4x, 1-6x, and 1-8x). Scope is a Trijicon AccuPower 1-8x28 with MOA reticle (red illumination) in Nightforce X-Treme Duty Ultralight 34 mm rings.

I replaced the stock flash hider with an ACC compensator/flash hider/adapter so I could use my 762SDN6 suppressor. That's one reason I picked a 16.1" barrel, so the length wouldn't get out of hand with the can attached. Stock is Magpul CTR with a 3/4" riser. I borrowed the Atlas bipod from my Remington-based precision rifle, and I'll swap it freely between the two. Weight is just a tad over 9.5 lbs with the optic (it's a fairly heavy optic) but without the bipod and suppressor.

I'll soon have the bolt threaded for a Precision Armament TBK-10 mini bolt knob and also have the bolt Cerkoted (using Cerakote Elite black), since the entire assembly including the bolt handle is stainless which looks a bit out of place on a FDE-and-black rifle.

So far, I've only zeroed the scope and tested two different types of .308 ammunition. I learned a couple of things. First, it doesn't group well with Winchester Super-X 150-grain PowerPoint. Second, it does group very well with Federal Gold Medal Match 175-grain Sierra Matchking. After a rough 1-inch-low zero at 50 yards, I ran it out to 100 yards and immediately shot a 0.75" 5-shot group with GMM. I adjusted my zero by 0.5 MOA left and up, and immediately shot another 0.75" 5-shot group, with two shots going through the dead center of the target. All groups were fired from a Caldwell rest and toe bag, since I was trying to test the rifle and ammo rather than test my own shooting skill.

After shooting these groups, I put on the AAC 762SDN6 suppressor and confirmed that it shoots just as accurately with the can as without, and the can doesn't change point of impact!

Remember, this isn't intended to be a long-range precision rifle. Sub-MOA is pretty darn good for a general-purpose rifle!

teuthis

Single-Sixer
That is am impressive upgrade of the Scout. Mine is as bare as it came, and without the picatinny rail to boot. I might consider something like you have done in the future. Thanks for sharing.

I would say the upgrades worked out great. Enjoy the rifle. I shoot 168 grain GMM in a R-25 and they shoot better than any handload I have tried so far at 100 yards, really much better.

773PPVM

Bearcat
MDT makes chassis for several different rifles, including the Remington 700 and what they call the Ruger M77 (on which the Gunsite Scout is based). If you read closely, you'll see that the M77 chassis fits only the Gunsite Scout, not other versions of the M77. Installation is super simple. After removing the barreled action from the Ruger stock, just place it into the MDT LSS stock and secure it with two action screws, torqued to 65 inch-pounds. Replacing the forward rail with XS Sight Systems full-length rail was likewise very simple, although I think the instructions called for the screws to be torqued to 68 inch-pounds and my Fat Wrench is only marked to 65. I torqued 'em down them gave 'em a tiny little nudge with a phillips head in a socket wrench.

The Gunsite Scout is a great rifle in stock configuration. The Ruger stock is about half a pound lighter than the combination of LSS chassis + buffer tube + Magpul CRS stock that replaced it, although the latter has the advantage of quickly adjustable pull length. If you're going to use iron sights or mount a red dot or one of the intermediate eye relief scopes like the Leupold FX-II Scout IER 2.5x28mm, there's no need for the full-length rail. And if you don't plan to mount a suppressor, no need to replace the very effective stock flash hider. But I wanted certain features, and built this one to my own needs. Love that Trijicon 1-8x28! At 1x, it's perfect for close-range defensive use and close-range, fast-moving hogs. At 8x, I'm comfortable reaching out to 500 yards with a stable firing position and good ammo. I'm hoping to harvest some whitetail and mulies with it! :)

Here's a link to the MDT LSS chassis (https://mdttac.com/products/lss-chassis-system) and to the XS Sight Systems full-length rail (https://www.xssights.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=993608&CAT=8286).

huntsman22

Blackhawk
I did read carefully. You said 'the same' and I logically took that to mean what you said. Maybe it should have just said LSS for the ruger instead of the same one as my remmy. And speaking of 'reading carefully', not all 'reading' is true. I have 2 LSS's for the Scout rifle installed on model 77's. One is on a Hawkeye Predator in 6.5, and another on a MKII ultralite in 204. All it takes to use with a garden-variety 77 is a simple mag mod.....

773PPVM

Bearcat
You are absolutely right, Blackhawk, my wording was a bit confusing. I meant, the same model (MDT LSS) rather than the exact same version (Remington 700 vs. M77). My bad. When I said "if you read closely" I wasn't talking about reading my post, or implying that you didn't read it closely, and I'm very sorry if it came across that way. I meant, if you read the MDT website closely, since it's not immediately obvious that their LSS chassis for the M77 fits the Gunsite Scout. Since I had a bit of trouble with that, I figured others may also. And yeah, I read that a magazine modification will allow use of other versions of the M77. Was the modification difficult? What was entailed? I'd love to see pics of your M77s in the LSS! :)

huntsman22

Blackhawk
The mod is just dremel-ing the back of the mags. Kinda notching the ears....

the 204 ultralite

Hawkeye Predator 6.5

this now has a 3/4 magpul cheekriser

Coyote Hunter

Single-Sixer
Modifications to my Ruger GSR are pretty limited. I got long eye relief scope and mounted it in Warne rings so it cn be quickly removed to allow use of the peep sight, which now remains in place. The original laminate stock has been replaced by the synthetic stock. The flash hider got a $30 brake that works great.]

Love to shoot that thing.

773PPVM

Bearcat
Ah! I'll have to remember this if I decide to get another (non-Gunsite Scout) M77. Thanks! Those are some very nice-looking rifles!

Like you, I really love the MDT LSS chassis. This is my dedicated precision rifle. I took it to Pat Goodale's 3-day Precision Rifle I course and it performed very well, and I'm thinking of using it to get into the PRS circuit. Heavy as heck at 15 lbs, but that's typical for a precision rifle. This isn't the best picture; I'll take a better one eventually.

It started life as a cherry-picked Remington 700 stainless short action. Barrel is Hawk Hill Custom Marksman profile stainless, 3-groove cut rifling, 1-in-10" twist, chambered in .308 to match specs, with a Hawk Hill Custom brake. Modular Driven Technologies (MDT) Light Sniper System (LSS) chassis; XLR Tactical buttstock; Tactical Works Mini Stock Pad; BCM Gunfighter Grip Mod 0; Jewell HVR trigger; Hawk Hill Custom bolt knob; Warne Tactical M673-20MOA Remington Short Action Tactical Rail; Atlas PSR BT46-LW17 bipod with Hawk Hill Custom feet (interchangeable with stock feet) and removable 3" extensions; Accu-Shot Precision Rail Monopod (PRM) Mid-Height BT13-QK; Hawk Hill Custom rifle-mounted data holder (holds my smart phone with Applied Ballistics software).

Optic is a Nightforce ATACR 5-25x56 F1 with MOAR reticle in Nightforce X-Treme Duty Ultralight 34mm High (1.125" A224) rings with Nightforce top ring bubble level with integral angle indicator mount and Nightforce angle indicator.

Since this picture was taken, I've added a Nightforce Ruggedized Accessory Plaform 34mm (A427) and a SilencerCo Radius laser rangefinder.