Modficiations affect on value ?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

dbracin

Bearcat
I have recently acquired a SP101 in 357. I think I would like to have a matte finish on it. What are your thoughts on modifications and their affect on value? Will glass beading the finish decrease the value? Will it have no affect? Or does it all depend on who wants it? :?:

wwb

Hunter
To a collector, anything that is not factory sends the value right down the toilet. Should you ever try to sell it, even to a non-collector, that reasoning will be used as leverage to drop the price.

If you intend to keep it, feel free to do as you please.

DGW1949

Hunter
One of the best ways to loose money that I know of is to spend it "customizing" a new gun. Even if you find a buyer later, you'll not recover the money you got in it.
On the other hand....As "things" go, there aint much in life that is as personal to a man as is his gun. So if you want a matte finish on yours, I'd say go for it.

DGW

contender

Ruger Guru
wwb is right on. To many folks,, when they see a modification,, they wonder,, "What else has been fooled with?" A professional action job,, vs a home butcher,, eer,, home gunsmith. Any work you have done by a professional,, keep the reciept documentation with it to help quell any fears of a bad job.
That said,,, I've bought a PAIR of New Vaqueros,,, stainless,, boxes & papers,, 250 rounds of factory ammo,,,a buskadero double holster rig, & with full action jobs that are the slickest a guy could ask for. I gave $650 for all of that last April,,, BECAUSE no one wanted to "take a chance" on the modifid guns,,,!
I've gotten a LOT more careful about any purchases of any used guns because of how much "home gunsmithing" and other mods I've seen advertised on the net.
At USPSA matches,, it's common to see a "race gun" or a "limited" gun used for sale at very cheap prices. Why? Because all shooters wonder how good/bad the gun is because it's used & almost all of them have been "modified." Basically a lot of guns sell cheap because of modifications.

But,, it is your gun,, and you can do as you see fit for your preferrences.

On an SP-101, common gun, with no collector value, I wouldn't expect the matte finish to effect resale value much as a used gun. You won't get any of your money back that you put in for the mods, and it might take a bit longer to find a buyer that appreciates the 'different' finish. I'd do it if that's what I wanted.

diyj98

Single-Sixer
Any modifications normally scare me off buying used guns. I'm a bit like the folks contender was talking about. I always wonder what Bubba has done to the sear or trigger and it scares me off. It's not as bad with revolvers, but autos and especially 1911's are a big red flag with me. However, if it's your gun and you're changing it to suit you better not for resale or collecting, I'd say go for it.

BearStopper

Blackhawk
I cant see how doing that particular mod on that particular revolver will reduce its value to most people as long as it looks nice. In .357 it is not really a collectable and the mod doesnt affect shootability and reliability so no problem I can think of except with a very few overly knowledgable and anal buyers.

Tommy Kelly

Buckeye
I agree with most others it's your gun if you want to modify the finish do it. If you never get rid of it. It will be what you wanted and will be personalized to fit your taste. The sp101 is a fine revolver that will last you a lifetime and be passed down to others. life would be soo boring if we didn't have some variation. I just got back a 30 carbine that I had the bbl cut off on ruger only offers it in 1 bbl length a 7.5" I like 4 5/8" bbls so I had this one cut to 4 5/8 to suit me and my likes. I now have 10 pistols with that same bbl length. Did it hurt the value I don't care I like it a lot more now and will enjoy it more short. My son cut it for me he did a job that would rival the best gun builders out there's job. I love the gun now and don't care to ever get rid of it. I carried it out and shot it yesterday and that's the second time I have shot it in 1 year but now I plan on using it a lot. He made the gun fit my likes and now its special to me espically because he did it. The only way you can tell it's not a factory gun is he puts a 13degree crown on the bbl's and it shoots great. I put the last 5 shots inside a spot the size of a silver dollar at 25 yds yesterday. Not bad for a old man with a chopped down pistol if I say so myself.

CraigC

Hawkeye
Nobody builds a custom or modifies a gun to save money or as a monetary investment. It's an investment in your shooting activities. If you're worried about the money you'll lose when/if you decide to sell it, you're doing it for the wrong reasons in the first place. If you think it's a waste, it probably is. However, if you appreciate owning and using a custom gun more than the money you spent to get it, it is money well-spent. Money is only a tool and perception is everything.

batmann

Single-Sixer
All of my guns are shooters and I modify them according to my needs and wants. I might lose some on the back end, but I enjoy mine so I don't worry about the next guy. If you are keeping it to shoot or, like me, pass down to my son, do what pleases you.

yessir, its YOUR gun and you pay for and do what YOU want (and or can afford...) if doing it with the "knowing" you are going to sell it down the road, then absolutley it will lessen the value, the next guy may not want "custom" , it's YOUR loss.......BUT if its ONLY the 'matte' ( or reverse.. a polish..) of ANY stainless steel gun, thats a NO brainer...its 'stainless and you can put it back to whichever finish the next guy wants..........not all of us wants "whitewall tires, fender skirts, spinner hub caps, tec......."

wwb

Hunter
rugerguy":2hh0z7an said:
..........not all of us wants "whitewall tires, fender skirts, spinner hub caps, tec......."

Maybe not, but some of us remember when skirts, spinners, "frenched" headlights and taillights, lowered, and glasspacks, along with a chopped top on a '51 Merc with suicide doors was as cool as it could possibly get.

And there I was, puttin' around in my '37 Ford pickup with a honkin' 65 hp flathead V8 and a 4-speed crunch box (no sychronizers for the young folks in the crowd).

gak

Buckeye
+1 to what most everyone has said. I've mod'd--to some degree-every single action I have, none with the thought of increased value to anyone but me,...and knowing that--though top notch pro done--at best I MAY not have hurt eventual value. I may think the mods I've done are the cat's meow--and how I'll sincerely tout a gun in any future sale as I'm sure anyone would. Doesn't matter though. There's a chance and I hope some future buyer will feel the way I do about a particular gun, but that's just a c***shoot--especially within my desired timeframe.

+1 your gun, while a fine piece is not--and will likely not be withn our lifetimes--a collectors piece. Beadblast it and enjoy. Likely won't hurt it anyway.

Tommy Kelly

Buckeye
Oh yea the little brass spacers between tghe gears that make them shift smooth. And as far as glass packs I ran straights. Never owned a 50 mercury. But I did chop the top on a 56 ford country squire and made myself a pickup. I even flipped the rear shackles and put mud grips on it. It had a 292 police interceptor in it. I even had a t model coil on my car for a while and rigged a set of cutouts on a truck once. Also had babby moons and chrome reverse wheel's. Those were the days. Hey gas was 32 cents a gallon when I got my liscense. Am I old or what. I even remember when it was .25 cents to go to the picture show and cokes were a nickle. A pack of cigarettes was 35 cents when I started smoking. and telephone's had no dial you told the operator who you wanted to talk to and they connected you. And the first color tv. Those were the good old days !