Modern Hammerless Revolver...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Not what you were thinking.:D Modern in 1910.

I bought this, many years ago, and actually used to carry it. I put it out to pasture long ago, but I know it would work perfectly.

Iver Johnson Safety Hammerless, .38S&W.
GEDC0135.jpg

WAYNO.

When I was a kid, we used to use my Mom's S&W "Safety Hammerless" .32 to slaughter steers. It made a sound kinda like a big staple gun, but it always killed them instantly.

oregon73

Blackhawk
Hey Wayno--you say the design is 1910. Is that particular gun that old?

What's up with the "owl" on the grips?

Very cool piece!

Rob

oregon73":2wdg36bf said:
Hey Wayno--you say the design is 1910. Is that particular gun that old?

What's up with the "owl" on the grips?

Very cool piece!

Rob

Howdy. This 3rd Model Hammerless was made somewhere between 1909 and 1941. Apparently, much of Iver Johnsons archives were lost to the paper drives of WWII, so serial number discovery is not straight-forward. Also, their serial numbering system was not always sequential.

The owl? That's Iver Johnson's icon, and it was on many thousands of their grips.

WAYNO.

oregon73

Blackhawk
I think the owl is an interesting choice of an icon, and it's very well executed on those grips. It gives the gun a nice and unique look, IMHO. Thanks for sharing this picture, Wayno.

Rob

And, depending on which way the owl is looking, helps determine different variations.

The old Ivers were not respected very much. Kind've how some folks look at Charter Arms, or even Rugers, now. :roll:

WAYNO.

Papa

Bearcat
I bought one like that at a flea market for 85 dollars. Was supposed to be unfired, but it was all scratched up from people taking the cylinder out improperly and scratching it on the latch. I carried it in the woods for awhile and shot it some, then the trigger return spring broke. I couldn't find an exact replacement so I bought a larger one from someone's scrap box in a gun show and modified it to fit. 'When I put it back together the trigger went back and something slipped and it wouldn't return. I'm thinking I messed up when I re-assembled it. :shock:

I finally gave it to a friend of mine and told him to find someone that knew how to work on them. I don't think he's done anything with it yet either :(

One of these days I'll find the right "Round To It" and maybe fix it right for him, if I can find a manual 8)

mm6mm6

Blackhawk
Iver Johnson's catch phrase was "hammer the hammer." Their revolvers were way ahead of everyone else. They had a transfer bar with their hammer guns way before everyone else.

They're very well built. If treated well, they will shoot great!