modern ammo for a old rifle

Help Support Ruger Forum:

lctrcjim

Bearcat
I just had an old family heirloom Marlin 1881 45/70 restored. It shoots great & my gunsmith told me it's safe to shoot just about anything in it. About the only standard (non+P) 45/70 ammo I can find around here is Remington. It shoots great in the old Marlin - almost 130 yrs old & it still shoots straight as an arrow.

But I have been warned on 'another' forum not to use jacketed bullets; they can wear out the bore on an old rifle like mine. The Remington ammo is 'semi-jacketed'...............realistically, I doubt I'll be shooting more than 100 or so rounds a year out of it............

If I remember correctly from HS basic chemistry class, no matter how 'soft' the steel the Marlin's barrel is made of, it's still a LOT harder than a bullet's copper jacket................is there a chance of wearing out the barrel using jacketed or semi-jacketed bullets?

I know there are a lot of experts in ammunition & gunsmithing lurking here - any thoughts & advice would be greatly appreciated - thanks!!!

ps: not to be a party-pooper, but I work 2 jobs & live in a small house with no basement or workshop, so reloading my own is not in my future..........sorry to say, I have neither the time nor the space to do it.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
I am no expert but I have been told shooting jacketed bullets will wear a barrel out faster than shooting lead bullets but you are talking maybe 10 thousand rounds. Everything else being equal you will probably wear the mechinism out before the barrel.

In the loading manuals there are two sections for the 45-70.
1) Trap-Door and older guns. 24,000 PSI
2) modern Leverguns. 40,000 PSI

I would stay away from any +P ammo. If you have any doubts there is Cowboy Shooting ammo that is very soft shooting. :D
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?p ... ber=860270

I just noticed the Remington 405gr load says "for use in all rifles". I guess that would be your answer.
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?p ... ber=376119

...Jimbo

contender

Ruger Guru
CD brings up an excellent point. The actual jacket material may not be the problem,, but the pressures built up by that type of ammo could lead to excessivily faster wear of the barrel. I'd stick to cast lead bullets designed for that gun.

Silent Sam

Blackhawk
Actually there are three levels of 45-70 loads. Marlin levers fall in the second or middle category. Don't use level III loads.

edlmann

Blackhawk
lctrcjim":2qedh6ew said:
I just had an old family heirloom Marlin 1881 45/70 restored. It shoots great & my gunsmith told me it's safe to shoot just about anything in it. About the only standard (non+P) 45/70 ammo I can find around here is Remington. It shoots great in the old Marlin - almost 130 yrs old & it still shoots straight as an arrow.
Jimbo357mag":2qedh6ew said:
In the loading manuals there are two sections for the 45-70.
1) Trap-Door and older guns. 24,000 PSI
2) modern Leverguns. 40,000 PSI
Silent Sam":2qedh6ew said:
Actually there are three levels of 45-70 loads. Marlin levers fall in the second or middle category. Don't use level III loads.

Two points:

1. I'd consider a restored black-powder-era rifle in the same pressure group with the trapdoor. Certainly not the same design or metallurgy as an 1895.

2. Some manuals list a third group, which would be Rugers #1 and #3 and Siamese Mausers.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hi,

I'm led to believe a lot of cowboy shooters use black powder (or substitutes) in their guns for an added touch of "authenticity." I know they're generally reloaders, but are there any commercially loaded b/p (or substitute) cartridges out there? If so, I'd think the .45-70 would be a good candidate...

Just wondering out loud, you know?

Rick C

lctrcjim

Bearcat
Guys, thanks for all your thoughts & advice! In fact, the ammo I've been using is Remington that's made for Springfield Trapdoors, which, from what I understand, have pretty weak actions. I think the Marlin action is quite a bit stronger than a Trapdoor. There's no way I'd ever use +P or any other 'hot' ammo in it.

The Remington ammo is 'semi-jacketed'. I'm more worried about wearing out the barrel. I don't think I'd ever be shooting more than 100 or so rounds a year. Do you think at this rate, copper jacketed ammo could still damage the barrel or wear it out quickly?

From what my gunsmith told me, the barrel bore & the rifle innards are pretty much pristine - that the rifle hasn't seen a lot of use.

Thanks!!!