MKIV Lower on MkII 22/45 Upper

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I picked up a nice KP514 (22/45 with 5 1/4" tapered barrel) this weekend and would like to mate the upper to a traditional (non-plastic 22/45) MK lower as a general plinking pistol, my question for those much more knowledgeable than I am, will the upper work on a new MK IV lower? Or do I need to find a MK II lower?

Thanks for the assistance, as always, greatly appreciated.

I wouldn't say "interchangeable". Swapping may involve modifying the "receptacle" on the bottom of the receiver and/or the "tab" on the top of the grip frame. Others here have much more experience with such things so hopefully those guys will drop by and give you better info.

timnc

Single-Sixer
I have a KP514 upper mated with a blued MK II standard lower. The fit was tight but only required some tapping with a rubber head hammer to get it to work. Have not had any problems with it for last 5 years.

timnc said:
I have a KP514 upper mated with a blued MK II standard lower. The fit was tight but only required some tapping with a rubber head hammer to get it to work. Have not had any problems with it for last 5 years.

Thanks for your answer, I am now in search of a MK II lower....

Appreciate everyone's help.

JStacy

Blackhawk
You can usually find the MKII era , molded on grips , 22/45 pretty cheap. You may be able to buy a whole gun for little more than the cost of a grip frame alone. Then you would have two different barrels to trade out on your grip frame.

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
Seems to me that the OP made it pretty clear that he was looking for a "non-plastic" Mark II grip frame for the upper in his first sentence.
Try the web to see if any "STEEL" grip frames pop up on Gunbroker or ebay.

Rickkling

Bearcat
Go to gunbroker and search using
"Ruger parts gun" , "ruger parts kit", or "ruger grip fame"
They are usually guns that were to be destroyed, so you might also get
A trigger, grips, barrel (minus the rear of the receiver of course) mainspring housing etc...
But, they tend to go for close (sometimes more) than a complete gun.
On the upside, no serial number, so no FFL required!

Dan in MI

Staff member
Rickkling said:
Go to gunbroker and search using
"Ruger parts gun" , "ruger parts kit", or "ruger grip fame"
They are usually guns that were to be destroyed, so you might also get
A trigger, grips, barrel (minus the rear of the receiver of course) mainspring housing etc...
But, they tend to go for close (sometimes more) than a complete gun.
On the upside, no serial number, so no FFL required!

Ain't that the truth. Those kits used to go for ~$100. Now under $200 is a deal and SS are hitting $300. (I've been on a FrankenRuger kick for few years now)