MKIII

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Beach1

Bearcat
I bought a MKIII target modle back in may, I did a bit of research on .22 auto's and decided to get the MKIII over some other well know brands confident that I picked the best feeding .22 out there. Much to my disappointment that has not been the case thus far. I have tried several different types of ammo with CCI's being the biggest problem and Federals working the best but still plenty of FTE's . I removed the loaded chamber indicater which helped but still get too many FTE's . Does this sound typical of a MKIII target modle ? Does any one have any advice ? I really like this pistol and it shoots great but the FTE's get frustrating .

Beach1

Bearcat
Sorry didn't see this was for center fire auto's , please move if it's not appropriate here.

meanc

Single-Sixer
The MKIII is a semi auto so it fits here.

As far as feeding,...

Take it apart. Get some 800/1000grit wet-sand and polish the bolt, recoil guide, inside the receiver, and the feed ramp.

Then clean all the parts really good with some break cleaner to get the gunk out, especially around the extractor and extractor notch in the barrel.

All of this should take about an hour or less.

Lube it up, put it back together and give it a try with the CCI 40gr RN.

If none of that helps here's a link for a magazine tweek. http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/sh ... p?t=257059

If that doesn't work call Ruger and kindly explain the situation and send it back. Hopefully they'll pay for the shipping.

johnbh

Bearcat
I,m going to purchase the Mark 111 target. Other than misfires ,does it shoot well, my concern the front sight,my eyes are not to good. Can you replace them w/ the hi viz, they have some others where also can replace the rear. I spoke w/ ruger w/ all the new stuff theres a percentage of failure, and it work itself out. He suggested to me to run some mini mac round nose cooper. Let me know how it goes w/ you and good luck.

Beach1

Bearcat
LightningMan":23o3jp3x said:
If you know how to take it apart, remove the magazine safty spring. That spring that is looped around the bushing of the hammer. Mine works better without it, besides the magazine's drop clean out now. Another thing I did the magazine tweak, that also helps. Click--> http://xavierthoughts.blogspot.com/2008 ... tweak.html

Thanks for the link , thats exactly the problem I'm having. I have put 1400rds through so I think were broke in by now. I took the loaded chamber indicator out , I'm just wondering before I do any more modifications if it's worth the trouble to send it in to Ruger 1st ? I paid a premium at Gander for this gun but that does include there 1 yr warranty extension and if they cover shipping and handle it all for me I was thinking about just putting the LCI back in and letting them look at it , or would I be spinning my wheels?

Beach1

Bearcat
johnbh":3tbu1ycm said:
I,m going to purchase the Mark 111 target. Other than misfires ,does it shoot well, my concern the front sight,my eyes are not to good. Can you replace them w/ the hi viz, they have some others where also can replace the rear. I spoke w/ ruger w/ all the new stuff theres a percentage of failure, and it work itself out. He suggested to me to run some mini mac round nose cooper. Let me know how it goes w/ you and good luck.

I really like the MKIII and it shoots better than I can. It's the 512 target model, my vision isn't what it use to be but the stock iron sites work fine for me. It came with a scope base so you could put optics on if you want, light trigger, all that said if I were to do it again I would have got the 22/45 with the polymer frame.

Beach1

Bearcat
meanc":3llihcfs said:
The MKIII is a semi auto so it fits here.

As far as feeding,...

Take it apart. Get some 800/1000grit wet-sand and polish the bolt, recoil guide, inside the receiver, and the feed ramp.

Then clean all the parts really good with some break cleaner to get the gunk out, especially around the extractor and extractor notch in the barrel.

All of this should take about an hour or less.

Lube it up, put it back together and give it a try with the CCI 40gr RN.

If none of that helps here's a link for a magazine tweek. http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/sh ... p?t=257059

If that doesn't work call Ruger and kindly explain the situation and send it back. Hopefully they'll pay for the shipping.

Again thanks, the pic's show exactly what my gun does.

GhosT

Blackhawk
Beach1,
"all that said if I were to do it again I would have got the 22/45 with the polymer frame."

Love my 22/45...accurate and reliable... ;)

THAT SAID...
Have you contacted RUGER yet?

Give them a call, they will have you send it to them.
Odds are,they will fix it for free!

johnbh

Bearcat
Lightingman that was a great sight, I saved it in my favorites.
The guy I talked to @ Ruger was honest and to the point. he told me w/ all the changes and the upgrades compared to Mark 11 theres going to be a percentage of some failures. I did'nt even asked if there was any problem he disclose some problems that may occur. He was really helpful
really nice guy,willing to answer any questions. Ruger was eally helpful. I would call them. I think they could help you w/ your problems.

MoHawk

Bearcat
Beach1, I own a MKIII 22/45 that I bought new in 2006. The first time I fired it I had a FTF. I removed the mag & noticed it seemed gritty inside. I took both factory mags apart & removed a lot of dark residue. Lubed the mags good, reloaded & fired both mags several times with 0 failures. Since then I bought 4 additional factory mags that work great.

I hope your find the problem with your MKIII. Mine is the most accurate & reliable 22 pistol I have owned in 50 yrs of shooting!

LightningMan

Bearcat
johnbh, glad you like that site, I remember when I first bought my MKIII and could barely make it through a 10rd mag. with having a FTE (stovepipe) Besides doing the usual polishing this & that, doing what the site recomended (magazine tweak) helped a lot, but still had an occational FTE, so last week I removed the magazine safty spring (Gun can't fire without a mag inserted) and today I fired 300 rds through it and had only 1 FTE. That round was just a hair away from ejecting, as I could just flick it out with my finger. LM

22bond

Single-Sixer
I don't know if your gun has the same problem as mind or not.
My Mark III Hunter was having a lot FTE. Called Ruger and they paid for the shipping. Came back w/an invoice that said repair extractor.
It was a lot better but still some FTE.
Removed the LCI and now it is great.
I only use bulk ammo - Fed 550, Rem GB, Win333, etc.

22bond

Single-Sixer
I also bought a Mark III Competition and 5.5 bull target later. Remove LCI before I even shot it. No FTE problem w/them.

Beach1

Bearcat
Well I want to thank everyone for your responses , think I'm going to send it in to Ruger 1st and if I still have issues I'm going to do the work on the mags in the links posted above as that is exactly what mine does.

johnbh

Bearcat
All this talk of the Mark 111. I had a Doctors apointment, so I left his office I went driving around checking things out. I drove buy this gun shop, I walked in the first thing I saw was the Mark 111 comp,it caught my eye. Guess what I bought it less than 10 min. ss 6 7/8 barrel I could not resist. This one was a 100.00 more than the target ss 5.5. Really a nice looking gun, the barrel and grips. Just hope I can shoot. Great thread, alot to learn.

MoHawk

Bearcat
I have a blued MKIII 22/45 with 5.5" bull barrel. One of my friends has the MKIII with 6 7/8" SS fluted barrel & rosewood grips. I don't believe his shoots better than mine however it sure looks better. I am thinking about trading up just for the appearence. Also with SS is should be easier to maintain.

johnbh

Bearcat
Thats how I kind of look at it literally. I did want to get the target ss 5.5. I think i'll be fine , it's the person firing it. I got real lucky about a week ago, I bought 3 bxs of Federal and 6 the next night almost 4500 rounds.

Beach1

Bearcat
GhosT":3bl7rls8 said:
Beach1,
"all that said if I were to do it again I would have got the 22/45 with the polymer frame."

Love my 22/45...accurate and reliable... ;)

THAT SAID...
Have you contacted RUGER yet?

Give them a call, they will have you send it to them.
Odds are,they will fix it for free!

Wanted to get back to you , I did finally call this week and just as you expected there having me send it to them and there even paying the shipping for me , I'm vary happy with there customer service, and might only be a 4 day turn around !

Beach1

Bearcat
Well I sent my gun in , recieved Dec 1st and back in my hands Dec 16th. Ruger paid all the shipping . They replaced the extractor and repaired the ejector then fired 50 rounds with out a jam , I have yet to fire it myself but I'm vary satisfied with my customer service experiance .

Latest posts