MKIII Question/Issue

Help Support Ruger Forum:

CBinNH

Single-Sixer
I picked up a used 5" bull bbl. recently and am having a problem. When I fire it, I'll often get a stinging spray of something hitting my wrist. I'm assuming lead but don't know for sure. Accuracy is OK, but I thought it would do better. Any ideas? Can I remedy the problem myself? Thanks.

wwb

Hunter
Lead is pretty unlikely.... the ejection port would only allow it to go to the right, not down and back to your wrist.

Best guess is a few red-hot flakes of soot or powder residue... they cool almost instantly on contact, so you don't get a burn, but you will feel them when they land.

I have a Mark I, a Mark II, and a 6" Standard Auto..... never experienced that with any of them. Something radically different about the Mark III ???

Geezer

Single-Sixer
You didn't say which wrist but you probably have powder residue coning out of the Loaded Chamber Indicator.

contender

Ruger Guru
Try laying a white towel across your arm in the area you are feeling something. Fire several rounds,, then carefully pull the towel off w/o allowing any residue to fall off. Inspect & see what it is.

Milly

Bearcat
Jacksonville, Il. The nexus of the universe
My wife felt something simlar to that except hitting her in the face. Turns out she is left eye dominate but shots with her right hand. The pistol (Ruger Mark III 22/45) was over far enough to the left that some of the "slag" was pelting her in the face. I have never experienced that when I shoot.

Wobble

Bearcat
I ocassionly get some blowback with my Mark III, usually on the last round in the magazine, that hits me in the face or arm, not enough to hurt or be concerned with however. Don't think it is anything to be concerned about.

wwb

Hunter
Wobble":1mk1jwhu said:
I ocassionly get some blowback with my Mark III, usually on the last round in the magazine, that hits me in the face or arm, not enough to hurt or be concerned with however. Don't think it is anything to be concerned about.

That being the case, I'd be damn sure to wear safety glasses.

CBinNH

Single-Sixer
Thank you all for the responses. I am right handed & left eye dominant. I'm going to try to get some of the "stingers" on a cloth next shooting session.

tiger955

Bearcat
I was just out shooting my MarkIII today... noticed a little stinging spray on my face a couple times when I was shooting into a strong headwind. I figure it was a little hot powder residue being ejected with the shell. Not worried about it.

Wobble

Bearcat
That being the case, I'd be damn sure to wear safety glasses.

++ on that.

I wear glasses any time I shoot and recommend that everyone do it. The glasses are cheap. Unfortunately, at my outdoor range, I see many people who do not.

greener

Single-Sixer
I've felt something hitting my hand every now and then and have assumed it was powder residue.

I don't worry about putting glasses on because I've been a 4-eyes for 50 years. My daughter was not wearing glasses and was standing 5+ feet behind and 5+ feet right of someone shooting a revolver. She ended up needing an eye doc and 11 stitches in her eye. Wear glasses when you are on the range, whether you are shooting or not.