MKIII Collectables?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I can't speak for anyone else, but I was taken by surprise at how quickly Ruger dropped models during this series. Here are some that I believe are uncommon. I had a chance to buy each but let all but one slip through my fingers for various reasons. The MKIII model name is a guess.

1) MK678III - Blue 6 7/8" tapered target.
2) MK678GIII - Blue Government Target Model. I know this one is uber rare.
3) KMK4III - Stainless 4 3/4" pencil barrel.
4) P4GCMKIII - 22/45 with a 4" slab sided barrel. Finally got one of these.

I would be curious about other's thoughts on these particular models.

contender

Ruger Guru
Models are introduced,, and depending upon sales,, continued or dropped. The MKIII wasn't as "warmly" received as they expected,, due to the lawyer additions. As such,, many slow movers were quickly dropped,, with low production numbers.
But since Ruger doesn't share actual production numbers,, it's hard to determine how rare some of the models are. But, you can get a good idea if you study the distributors & their orders etc. That's what Chad does, and helps us all with his info in the RENE.
I'd say you may be correct in the rarity of some of these guns. Sadly,, we all don't have a way to see in the future so when something comes out,, speculation comes into play.

I know of collectors who chase just the Std & MKI models.
I know of collectors who chase the MKII models.
I haven't seen much activity (except by one gentleman) on collecting the MKIII models.

contender

Ruger Guru
True thought there.
No matter how rare anything is,, the value is linked to how bad least 2 people really want it.
The more people want something,, the more money is spent.

eveled

Hawkeye
Sort of the Edsel of the Ruger line up. I doubt they will ever have any real collector value

chet15

Hawkeye
I think the MKIII678G was produced as a cleanup of the government Mark II model with 6-7/8" bull barrel. As far as I know there were only two batches, maybe totaling less than 200 guns in all.
At least the MKIII678 was cataloged.
Chet15