MKIII AMMO RECOMMENDATIONS

Help Support Ruger Forum:

kdealaey

Bearcat
Joined
Jan 31, 2010
Messages
8
Location
MASSACHUSETTS
Could someone suggest the best ammo for a MKIII 22/45 HUNTER PISTOL? I am looking for brands that would offer the most trouble free, accurate peformance.Also If you know of brands to stay away from, that would be of great help too. I am trying to eliminate a 'learning curve' here. Thanks for all your help to one and all. Dan
 

revhigh

Hawkeye
Joined
Aug 31, 2005
Messages
5,590
Location
PA
Try a bunch starting cheap, stop when you find one that works best. Every gun is different ... one MKIII could like one thing, and another could like another ... with 22's it's pretty much trial and error.

REV
 

96/44

Blackhawk
Joined
Mar 23, 2009
Messages
551
Location
Minnesota
For me, CCI mini mags are the gold standard. They will cycle just about any gun, and are very consistent. Not as accurate as the high dollar target ammo, but generally better than the cheap bulk stuff. Like revhigh said, every gun is different, try some different brands until you find "the" load.
 

revhigh

Hawkeye
Joined
Aug 31, 2005
Messages
5,590
Location
PA
I also highly recommend CCI MM's as the 'Gold standard', but I thought I'd recommend cheap first. :D I think the CCI MM's are the most reliable 22 produced, but it hurts spending $35 a brick when you may be able to get along with a Fed 550 bulk pack for $15, and just live with the 20-30 misfires per 550. The Fed 550's tend to work more reliably in my rifles than my pistols. I usually use Winchester Wildcats for a good combination of price and reliability.

REV
 

3leggeddog

Single-Sixer
Joined
Aug 3, 2009
Messages
267
Location
Michigan
kdealaey":1wro7cx8 said:
Could someone suggest the best ammo for a MKIII 22/45 HUNTER PISTOL? I am looking for brands that would offer the most trouble free, accurate peformance.Also If you know of brands to stay away from, that would be of great help too. I am trying to eliminate a 'learning curve' here. Thanks for all your help to one and all. Dan

My last 2 ruger Mark II shot real good with CCI Min-mag STANDARD Velocity Target load $7.59 / per 100, high Vel. is not as accurate. Hollow points are worst yet. The best group I've got came from" Wolf Match Extra" Cost is $7.60 per /50 rds.
In our Bullseye club 85% use the CCI.. Some use the cheap Feberals Value pack 550 /$15.47 per box for pratice ONLY.
I havent tried all the imported brands either. I hope this helps YA!
 

2fast4u

Single-Sixer
Joined
Sep 11, 2009
Messages
184
Ive only shot Federal.22 550 bulk ammo from walmart in my Mark III
the only problems ive had was after 5000+ rounds was Fail to chamber a round from dirty mags, i cleaned them and it functions perfectly now! ran ~300 rounds tonight actually the only problems i had were from the 2 rounds i dropped on the ground while reloading the mags.
 

BuckJM53

Single-Sixer
Joined
Mar 25, 2008
Messages
337
Location
SW Ohio
Kdealeay ... As several have said, it often comes down to what your pistol likes best. From my experience, while my preference has always been CCIs over just about anything, I mostly use the Federal 550s these days (primarily due to the price) in both my MKIII512 and Chiappa 1911-22.

revhigh":27drqlzr said:
I also highly recommend CCI MM's as the 'Gold standard', but I thought I'd recommend cheap first. :D I think the CCI MM's are the most reliable 22 produced, but it hurts spending $35 a brick when you may be able to get along with a Fed 550 bulk pack for $15, and just live with the 20-30 misfires per 550. REV
Rev ... I'm a bit surprised that you're having 20-30 misfires per box though, as I generally don't have more then 5 - 10 per box (the box I just finished yesterday only had 3 and I have had many boxes with as few as 1 or 2).
 

revhigh

Hawkeye
Joined
Aug 31, 2005
Messages
5,590
Location
PA
BuckJM53":1dm4aqeb said:
Rev ... I'm a bit surprised that you're having 20-30 misfires per box though, as I generally don't have more then 5 - 10 per box (the box I just finished yesterday only had 3 and I have had many boxes with as few as 1 or 2).

LOL ... you may be right Buck, it sure seems like that .... I've never actually counted, but it seems like about one out of every two mags or so, so I guess that would be about 1 in 25, which is about 20 per 550.

As I said .... I've never actually counted, but I know those Fed 550's are pretty much garbage in my opinion.

It's a rare CCI that doesn't go bang.

REV
 
Joined
Nov 15, 2005
Messages
10,801
Location
Greenville, SC: USA
ditto on all above... One of the best things about shooting 22lr is you can try different ammo and not break the bank.

I was out with two buddies practicing for an up coming Appleseed project and they were sighting in two 22lr rifles and shooting some kind of bulk ammo. out of 20 or 30 rounds two of them actually came out of the barrel and dropped into the dirt 20 ft in front....

I like CCI mini mags too or just about any of the CCI stuff... the most accurate I've found is Federal Champions...but I'll buy a bulk box of Federal or even Remington in a heart beat.
 

kdealaey

Bearcat
Joined
Jan 31, 2010
Messages
8
Location
MASSACHUSETTS
Hey , guys went to feel a MKIII HUNTER today, that's one hell of a gun, feels just right, now just need a few more bucks, and again thanks for all the help and advice, it will stay with me Dan
 
Top