MKII vs. MKIII barrels

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Nogunsmith4me

Single-Sixer
I'm not sure if I'm posting in the right area.. :roll: but here it goes anyway..... Just wanted to know if the barrel of a 1992 MKII Standard be replaced with a new MKIII Hunter 4.5" fluted barrel? Will it fit the MKII receiver without any problem? Thanks guys!

wwb

Hunter
Darned if I know..... it's pretty common to switch the entire upper to another lower, but I don't recall ever hearing of anyone switching just the barrel.

Never tried to separate them, but I'll bet the required torque is measured in ton-miles rather than pound-feet.

captainkirk

Blackhawk
wwb":25n39gmb said:
Darned if I know..... it's pretty common to switch the entire upper to another lower, but I don't recall ever hearing of anyone switching just the barrel.

Never tried to separate them, but I'll bet the required torque is measured in ton-miles rather than pound-feet.

You also have to have the feed ramp line up exactly when the torque is in the proper range. Not easily done. If you want to change them out, I'd reccommend the whole upper.

captainkirk

Nogunsmith4me

Single-Sixer
I was thinking of keeping the MKII serialized receiver with the new barrel but now I changed my mind, it's not worth it. Thanks guys for responding!

billbeamon

Bearcat
It can be done, but often there is some slop, er, manufacturing tolerances, and some 'adjustment' may be required.
I put a MKIII standard barrel on a MKII frame (and vice versa) and found I could not extract the magazine after firing a few rounds. It seems the 'slingshot' action of the bolt had driven the MKIII barrel receiver forward enough to pinch the magazine. I used the Dremel to grind about a 1/16th off the receiver where it was pinching and the problem went away. There were no problems the other way around...
Bill Beamon

Latest posts