MKII Front Site help please

Help Support Ruger Forum:

hittman

Staff member
The front site screw works lose after 100 rounds or so. Blue Loc-Tite? Replace screw or site?

Chuck 100 yd said:
Blue Loc-Tite should take care of it. Use a proper fitting screw driver and get it good and tight.

I'm with Chuck, though I'd probably say "good and snug." Tightening by feel is always subjective, and you never know when you're dealing with that bricklayer or ironworker! 8)

I've used the blue stuff from Uncle Mike's, I think it's labeled "Gun Tite." Small tube, probably something like 1/2 fluid ounce. On something like a front sight screw, you don't need very much- certainly not a full drop. I've never had any problem removing it.

I always make sure to degrease the hole and the screw beforehand, as well. Gun Scrubber or acetone should do the trick, or even rubbing alcohol (if you don't have anything better).

A trick others have used is inserting a short piece of light monofilament fishing line into the hole before you thread in the screw. This can remove the "slop" from the threads. I haven't ever used this technique, but others (including some who enjoy good reputations here) have done so with success.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Side note, related to torquing fasteners: I grew up in a family with big old American sedans with steel rims- Impala, LTD, Grand Torino, Fury, etc. My old man and I always figured "a little too much" was better than "not quite enough." This was before I knew about stretching studs, etc. It's actually a miracle that we never stripped threads!

I'm a pretty big guy, and I used to be pretty strong. When I bought my first torque wrench at age 30, I found out what 80 ft-lbs "feels" like (spec for the aluminum wheels on my pickup). Long story short- I'd been grossly over-torquing just about everything, for years! :shock:

simple thing as clear finger nail polish also works.........main thing on ANY of the 'loc tites, you must let them set up overnight, and do not keep going over the screws with a screw driver to "see" if they are 'tight', ergo you'll break the 'seal'.............. :roll: