MKII 10" vs Charger

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Busterswoodshop

Buckeye
I was just curious what peoples opinion were between the MKII with a 10 inch barrel and the Charger with the 10 inch barrel.
I know the charger has a bipod and rails for a scope. Magazines hold more rounds.
If you bench rested both guns with the same sights or optics would one be that much better than the other ?
I have never shot a Charger but do have a MKII with the 10 inch barrel.
While I think the Charger is intriguing and I am sure it would be fun to shoot but I can't imagine it being any better.
It is definitely heavier and would be harder to carry around.

So I am just curious what your opinions are between the two ?

REP1954

Blackhawk
I owned a Charger for a short while and just never warmed up to it. Your MKII can be shot off hand much better and there are inexpensive clip on bipods you can use with it. Also for the use of a hi cap magazine at the bench can be very cumbersome. Same as I would rather have a buntine than a mares leg. Just my own humble opinion.

I had an early Charger and with a red dot at 25 yards it would shoot 10 shots into a small ragged hole. Definitely more accurate and more fun to shoot off the bipod on a bench Then a MK II.

MK II all around better in the field and easier to pack and shoot offhand.

Boils down to main use and expectations.

REP1954

Blackhawk
reloader said:
Anyone seen a Charger with a forward pistol grip and open sights?

Sounds like a tax stamp to me or a few years of eating bad food on a regular basis.

eveled

Hawkeye
The 10 in MKII, is by far the more desirable of the two, IMHO. Not sure how the accuracy would compare, but can't imagine any real difference.

Busterswoodshop

Buckeye
eveled said:
The 10 in MKII, is by far the more desirable of the two, IMHO. Not sure how the accuracy would compare, but can't imagine any real difference.

That is my impression.
I have a MKII with the 10 inch barrel and can't imagine the Charger could be any more accurate.

chet15

Hawkeye
Plus the 10" MKII already has a lot of collector interest, so will always bring a premium.
Chet15

9x19

Hunter
My least favorite feature on the Charger is the factory stock... change that and it becomes a different critter in my hands.

IMO, there really isn't much you can do to the 10" MKII to improve it's poor handling.

Then there are all the other ways you can customize the Charger (most of which are completely reversible should you change your mind in a year).

Carrying in the field is easier for me with the Charger as well, there are holsters available for the MKII, but they are no more convenient IMO than a good sling on the Charger.

For me it'd be the Charger over the 10" MKII, but I buy guns with a user's eye rather than collector's.

Charger%20wtci3x_zpswms8hn78.jpg

contender

Ruger Guru
Quote; "IMO, there really isn't much you can do to the 10" MKII to improve it's poor handling."

I think the handling comes down to individual preferences. I have handled both & feel the MKII in 10" handles just fine. For one or two handed field shooting,,, it feels much better to me. As noted above,,, it comes down to what it's used for AND how it's used.
Off a bench, used identically,,, both are quite accurate.

Busterswoodshop

Buckeye
I am not sure what you mean by " poor handling ".
There is nothing " poor " about the MKII as far as I am concerned.
I shoot my MKII better than any other pistol or revolver I own.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Drawing from a holster in the field and shooting the 10" barrel accurately takes time and adjustment. And for me at least, the "original" 22 Ruger grip has never been instinctive to shoot. Adding the weight out front make it even less so.

I have the original Charger and will say its been as accurate as any 18.5" 10/22 OOTB.

Comparing the guns is truly apples vs. bananas. Unless live game is the question, as paper-punching with either is academic to me.

9x19

Hunter
I was speaking only for myself, and for me the 10" MKII has very poor balance. I'm happy you find it easy to handle, that's why they offer different models, eh?

Busterswoodshop said:
I am not sure what you mean by " poor handling ".
There is nothing " poor " about the MKII as far as I am concerned.
I shoot my MKII better than any other pistol or revolver I own.

Both guns have a place. The MkII can be shot easily without a rest of any kind, where the Charger requires a table or other rest.

In the sage rat fields over the mountains, I've found the Charger is the cats meow. A card table, a bucket to sit on, and the bi-pod on the Charger makes for a dandy combination. When walking a fence line, any of the Mk's are also the cats meow for quick shots of opportunity.

WAYNO.

WaterRat

Bearcat
Have both and shoot both.
Both do a fine job and are equally accurate with there preferred ammo.
Both are great on the bench but I would give the Charger a slight edge here.
The MKII is better for off hand shooting.
The Charger can be modded by you to shoot circles around the MKII where is the MKII can be modded but your looking at a gunsmith most likely.
All depends on your intended use and expectations I guess.

Best bet is to own both :D

I modded my Charger with Kidd barrel, Kidd 2 stage trigger and Had Que re work the Ruger bolt .
Here are some pics for your viewing pleasure.
All groups are 5 shot at 50 yards with the Modded Charger

In my opinion the Charger is pretty much a bench gun... you can dress it up all different kinds of way but it will always be a bench gun.
10" MkII is a lot more versatile.. wish they made a MKIII in 10".

mohavesam

Hawkeye
? I guess mine has broken that mold! Sure has taken a heckuva lot of game, with many, many days afield!
I've always considered it as a poor man's Exemplar... another meat-maker in my experience.

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
blume357 said:
In my opinion the Charger is pretty much a bench gun... you can dress it up all different kinds of way but it will always be a bench gun.
10" MkII is a lot more versatile.. wish they made a MKIII in 10".

I agree............on both counts. But, I think it highly unlikely we'll ever see a MKIII in 10-inch barrel length.

Pat-inCO

Hawkeye
Busterswoodshop said:
Having both, I prefer the Mk-II. The Charger is just a bit less than optimal
for me. By the time you add in the weight of the bi-pod and extra wood
out front, it becomes quite a bit less comfortable for me to shoot.

All that said, my to-do list has my Mk-II 10" going to a gunsmith to have
the 10" barrel shortened to 6", and threaded. That way I can add
a muffler to it, yet being the balance back to much closer to the 6-7/8"
Government model I have. Be a lot more fun AND not nearly as noisy. :D

WaterRat

Bearcat
Pat-inCO said:
Busterswoodshop said:
Having both, I prefer the Mk-II. The Charger is just a bit less than optimal
for me. By the time you add in the weight of the bi-pod and extra wood
out front, it becomes quite a bit less comfortable for me to shoot.

All that said, my to-do list has my Mk-II 10" going to a gunsmith to have
the 10" barrel shortened to 6", and threaded. That way I can add
a muffler to it, yet being the balance back to much closer to the 6-7/8"
Government model I have. Be a lot more fun AND not nearly as noisy. :D

Have you seen what kind of $ the 10s bring these days?
If it were me I would sale the 10 buy something with a bit shorter barrel and have it threaded if need be.
Be a shame to destroy a 10" in my opinion.

Latest posts